Apple's latest 'Switch' ads tout iPhone's security & 'smoothness'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Monday released a trio of new video ads in its "Switch" series, aimed at persuading Android users to make the leap to an iPhone.

The first, "Security," argues that Android devices are more vulnerable to data theft, while "Smooth" implies that iPhones offer inherently better performance, regardless of a device's specifications. "Contacts" is the only one of the three that avoids going on the attack, simply suggesting that it's easy to migrate contact data to iOS.

As with the first round of "Switch" ads, released last week, the new ones all use a left-to-right motif and direct people to apple.com/switch.

That site was recently revamped to expand its focus beyond the Move to iOS Android app and sell people on the merits of iPhones, such as a high-quality camera, better technical support, and a lower environmental footprint.

Apple has often bragged about the number of people switching to iPhones, but added the caveat "outside of Greater China" to record-breaking claims in its last quarterly results call. In that country the company has largely been trounced by native Android brands Huawei, Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi, ending up in fifth place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    The timing of the Security one is interesting considering the recently discovered malware in Google Play.
    magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Hard to get more effective messaging in a fifteen second ad.  Terrific work by their ad agency.
    calichiamagman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra[Deleted User]anton zuykovpropod
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Apple is at its marketing best when they put out simple messages like these. Well done. 
    edited May 2017 calimagman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    I had an hilarious pop up in a game on the weekend (via an ad I'm sure).

"We detect that your Apple iPhone is 28.1% damaged because of four harmful viruses from recent adult sites."

It's going to eat your SIM card! Oh nos!

Yeah, so download this free app from Google Play!

Um, so my iphone is strangely precisely damaged by viruses I can fix with an Android App?
    edited May 2017 watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 5 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    "Quite smooth..."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    But but grey is almost an official color of apple. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Notice that none of the recent Apple ads for any of its products from the Apple Watch on up even mention the glitzy, technical specs (how many pixels?) that main stream tech media is obsessed with as they debate the "race" between Samsung and Apple....

As I have said elsewhere:  Apple's excellence is not in its hardware -- anybody can match or exceed Apple's best (particularly in its Mac products).  Rather, Apple's unique contribution that nobody can touch derives from its ecosystem and infrastructure -- and its tightly integrated products...  

But, those things are mostly intangibles that the media simply ignores because they don't feed the horse-race narrative that sells newspapers and clicks.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

As I have said elsewhere:  Apple's excellence is not in its hardware -- anybody can match or exceed Apple's best (particularly in its Mac products).  Rather, Apple's unique contribution that nobody can touch derives from its ecosystem and infrastructure -- and its tightly integrated products...  

I don't quite agree on this. A very big part of Apple's success *is* its hardware -- despite not focusing on specs. They popularized industrial design and are considered to have the best build quality. I won't go over every example of this, but I will mention that one thing I love about my steel series 0 Watch is that it in no way feels like a techie gizmo -- it's a solid hunk of metal that has unmistakable feeling of quality. Likewise with notebooks -- my personal MBP is leagues apart from the plastic junky Dells my workplace gives out.
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 19
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    The timing of the Security one is interesting considering the recently discovered malware in Google Play.
    You can release Apple ads any day and bet that something will be discovered on Google Play. Come on!
    There is no vetting, and no one checks what the app is, until a significant number of people report an obvious problem..
    As for not so obvious problems, a problematic app will stay there, until some security dude reports it...which might take months (best case).
    What I am saying is, betting on that to happen to Google Play, is like betting on water being wet when you touch it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mknelson said:
    I had an hilarious pop up in a game on the weekend (via an ad I'm sure).

"We detect that your Apple iPhone is 28.1% damaged because of four harmful viruses from recent adult sites."

It's going to eat your SIM card! Oh nos!

Yeah, so download this free app from Google Play!

Um, so my iphone is strangely precisely damaged by viruses I can fix with an Android App?
    Probably some cross platform libs that were used in the game.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    You can release Apple ads any day and bet that something will be discovered on Google Play. Come on!
    There is no vetting, and no one checks what the app is, until a significant number of people report an obvious problem..
    As for not so obvious problems, a problematic app will stay there, until some security dude reports it...which might take months (best case).
    What I am saying is, betting on that to happen to Google Play, is like betting on water being wet when you touch it.
    Interesting that many of those apps from the same dishonest developer were also available in the App Store. Are they still?
    Answer: Last I looked they are  ;)
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 12 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

I don't quite agree on this. A very big part of Apple's success *is* its hardware -- despite not focusing on specs. They popularized industrial design and are considered to have the best build quality. I won't go over every example of this, but I will mention that one thing I love about my steel series 0 Watch is that it in no way feels like a techie gizmo -- it's a solid hunk of metal that has unmistakable feeling of quality. Likewise with notebooks -- my personal MBP is leagues apart from the plastic junky Dells my workplace gives out.
    I didn't mean that Apple hardware was anything other than "Excellent" -- rather, that it is only a component of what makes Apple products great.   If they only relied on hardware, Samsung would clean their clocks every 6 months with a minor upgrade that made theirs "better" than Apple's....
  • Reply 13 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    Interesting that many of those apps from the same dishonest developer were also available in the App Store. Are they still?
    I think you are being just A BIT (/s) dishonest with your argument here. I was talking about devs implementing features that Apple does not approve, and as a results, their apps were not being allowed to get published, vs the lack of any control from Google Play because it is just part of the design of Google Play.
    I was not talking about "dishonest" developers (whatever you mean by that), but about those who submit apps with functionality that steals data, for example, and uploads it somewhere. AFAIK accounts of those who attempted that, were terminated, if they used methods to hide those "features" (from static analysis, for example).
    Also, I am pretty sure that there are many more devs, that we don't know about, who were not allowed to publish, as a result of them going against the policies.
    Yes, you can't vet out 100% of them, but it is far better than not vetting it at all.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 14 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    I think you are being just A BIT (/s) dishonest with your argument here. I was talking about devs implementing features that Apple does not approve, and as a results, their apps were not being allowed to get published, vs the lack of any control from Google Play because it is just part of the design of Google Play.
    I was not talking about "dishonest" developers (whatever you mean by that), but about those who submit apps with functionality that steals data, for example, and uploads it somewhere. AFAIK accounts of those who attempted that, were terminated, if they used methods to hide those "features" (from static analysis, for example).
    Also, I am pretty sure that there are many more devs, that we don't know about, who were not allowed to publish, as a result of them going against the policies.
    Yes, you can't vet out 100% of them, but it is far better than not vetting it at all.
    As I didn't make any argument it's hard for it to be a dishonest one. Anyway if you read the Checkpoint article you'll find that all the Google Play apps found to have adware (malware sounds more ominous tho) came from the same developer: Enistudio. Those apps are available on both Google Play (or were) and the App Store.

Vetting the apps wouldn't have mattered as initially they did not have the adware. It was a fairly recent update that added it. It's somewhat similar to the malware episode that infected a few hundred App Store apps last year. Catching this kind of stuff after an app has already been vetted and available for download on both app stores is of course just a tad more difficult. Google responded by removing that developers apps. As of two days ago those same apps were still available for iOS. With adware? Uncertain. In any event I would expect Apple may remove them as well now. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Those apps are available on both Google Play (or were) and the App Store.
    They might have come from the same dev, but why are you insisting they have the same "features" necessarily? I don't understand...
    Have you seen source code of both apps? No. Then why are you even talking about that? You simply assumed that those apps (on GP and on AS) both do the same things, simply because they came from the same dev. But why?

edited June 2017
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    They might have come from the same dev, but why are you insisting they have the same "features" necessarily? I don't understand...
    Have you seen source code of both apps? No. Then why are you even talking about that? You simply assumed that those apps (on GP and on AS) both do the same things, simply because they came from the same dev. But why?

You don't understand it for a reason: Because I didn't insist they "do" the same things. I questioned whether they might, if not now then at some point.  Apple very obviously does not carefully and fully vet every app and app update either. They were safe apps on Google Play until recently. For that reason I suspect Apple may also remove them as a precaution.  But they may not. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 17 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

You don't understand it for a reason: Because I didn't insist they "do" the same things. I questioned whether they might, if not now then at some point.  Apple very obviously does not carefully and fully vet every app and app update either. They were safe apps on Google Play until recently. For that reason I suspect Apple may also remove them as a precaution.  But they may not. 
    Honest answer to your question would be: you don't know, because you don't have enough info to answer it either way. Making some far fetched assumptions will get you nowhere. But what we do know is that Apple, unlike Google does implement vetting. Yes, they can't vet 100% of bad apps, but vetting did produce a better quality apps with less risk of data being stolen(or doing something similarly detrimental) by the developer. And we also know, that Apple store had so far a significantly lower number of apps with viruses and other nasty things.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Honest answer to your question would be: you don't know, because you don't have enough info to answer it either way. Making some far fetched assumptions will get you nowhere. But what we do know is that Apple, unlike Google does implement vetting. Yes, they can't vet 100% of bad apps, but vetting did produce a better quality apps with less risk of data being stolen(or doing something similarly detrimental) by the developer. And we also know, that Apple store had so far a significantly lower number of apps with viruses and other nasty things.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Honest answer to your question would be: you don't know, because you don't have enough info to answer it either way...  we also know, that Apple store had so far a significantly lower number of apps with viruses and other nasty things.
    In actual fact both iOS and Android have had an equal number of apps that housed viruses: ZERO :)

In the interest of consistency when discussing malware: There are no Android viruses, nor are there iOS viruses. You actually should have used the very broad category of "Malware", which according to the security vendors who report on this kind of stuff is pretty much anything an app does that is not disclosed by the developer. An app that collects your contacts but doesn't tell you is considered malware. So is an app that reports location but doesn't tell you upfront that it's doing so. Yup, it's malware too. Both types have been discovered in the App Store hundreds of times, and quietly discovered and removed probably far more often just as they have been on Google Play.  

And so is an app that uses trickery to game advertisers (which is what this most recent one is that you've referenced) or puff app developer revenue. I doubt the Play Store has an exclusive on that. 
    edited June 2017