Apple executive Bozoma Saint John to leave company, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
Apple Music and iTunes marketing executive Bozoma Saint John is planning to leave Apple, according to a report on Friday, though the reason for her supposed departure is at this point unknown.

In a brief report, Axios citing an unnamed source or sources claims Saint John intends to leave the company, presumably in the near future. The report further stated that Apple was contacted but declined to comment on the matter.

Saint John currently serves as Head of Global Marketing for Apple Music. She joined Apple after the company purchased Beats Music in 2014, initially working behind the scenes to negotiate deals and bolster the Apple Music brand. She rose to the fore thanks to a memorable onstage presentation of the then-new Apple Music app refresh at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference last June.

Since then, "Boz" has become a corporate ambassador of sorts for Apple Music. In October, for example, the executive appeared in ad alongside Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine and James Corden.

Saint John was featured in Fortune's Most Powerful Women Next Gen conference in November, where she talked about emigrating from Ghana to the United States as a teenager.

Most recently, Saint John earned a spot on Billboard's Power 100 list in February and was featured in business magazine Black Enterprise's "Most Powerful Women in Business" issue a month later.

If and when Saint John departs, Apple will lose one of its very few female executives. The company's top ranks include a handful of women, including environment VP Lisa Jackson, retail chief Angela Ahrendts and Denise Young Smith, who recently switched roles from head of human resources to VP for Inclusion and Diversity.

Prior to Apple and Beats, Saint John was an executive at Pepsi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    This seems like very dissaponting news. She of course had a terrific presentation at last year's WWDC, and really added a sense of cultural credibility that Apple (I hate to say it) sometimes lacks.

I hope we will hear more from Apple's Beats One hosts on things related to Apple Music and pop culture initiatives.
    doozydozenbshankjSnively
  • Reply 2 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "according to a report on Friday, though the reason for her supposed departure is at this point unknown. In a brief report, Axios citing an unnamed source or sources claims..."

internet news.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cali said:
    "according to a report on Friday, though the reason for her supposed departure is at this point unknown. In a brief report, Axios citing an unnamed source or sources claims..."

internet news.
    When have reports like these been wrong in the past? I don't see anyone shooting it down either.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Maybe she's unhappy with her fellow executive—Finals court side incident alleging Eddy calling Rihanna a bitch?
    boredumbcornchippatchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    She was one of the highlights at last years WWDC, and the fact that nobody wants to officially comment on the matter leads me to believe she's not leaving under the best of circumstances. Which is a shame.
    jozsefhor
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    1983 said:
    She was one of the highlights at last years WWDC, and the fact that nobody wants to officially comment on the matter leads me to believe she's not leaving under the best of circumstances. Which is a shame.
    What company would comment on speculation concerning the possible departure of an executive?
    macxpresschiaStrangeDayspscooter63anton zuykov
  • Reply 7 of 25
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Maybe she's unhappy with her fellow executive—Finals court side incident alleging Eddy calling Rihanna a bitch?
    Eddy Cue should be the one to go.  The greatest underperforming exec at Apple.   
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    k2kw said:
    By what metrics? i'm always curious how random people on the internet think they know more than the people in the room. You know, like his boss. Who awarded bonuses. 

Not liking itunes or whatever doesn't make you qualifed to claim anything. 
    edited June 2017 jony0pscooter63bobringerRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 25

Oh Jesus Christ.....
    There's "a bit of a stretch", then there's "highly unlikely", then there's "beyond the pale", then there's this notion.

Get real.

doozydozenjSnivelycornchippscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd just wait to see where she goes next before assuming anything. Also, Apple is bigger than one person, as was made abundantly clear when Jobs stepped away and eventually was unable to continue.
    pscooter63macxpress
  • Reply 11 of 25
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Maybe she just decided she wants "to spend the rest of [her] life selling sugared water..."?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    By what metrics? i'm always curious how random people on the internet think they know more than the people in the room. You know, like his boss. Who awarded bonuses. 

I didn't say "overrated".    That title could be shared between Cook and Ive.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Well there goes Apple's claim to "diversity"
    indieshack
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Well there goes Apple's claim to "diversity"
    In what capacity?
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 15 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:

Again, by what metric is he underperforming? You surely have this data, right? What were his manager's performance goals and how far did he underperform from them?
    bobringer
  • Reply 16 of 25
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member
    k2kw said:
    You do understand that Eddy Cue has lead the fastest growing portion of Apple's business for several years now, right?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:

If you don't have anything to back up your statement then maybe you should just say so. 
  • Reply 18 of 25
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    added a sense of cultural credibility that Apple (I hate to say it) sometimes lacks.
    Cultural credibility? What the heck is that?
    Is it from the same bag of meaningless buzz-words as "cultural appropriation"?
    edited June 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 19 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Today we find out she's leaving for...
    UBER??
  • Reply 20 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    Today we find out she's leaving for...
    UBER??
    Joking... or confirmed?