Amazon Prime Video coming to Apple TV later in 2017, more to come for tvOS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
As predicted, Amazon Prime video is coming to the Apple TV, with an app to come later in 2017.

Word of Amazon Prime Video coming to Apple TV first leaked in early May with a report that claimed that Amazon and Apple were close to finalizing a deal. Until now, Apple users wanting to watch Amazon Prime Video and other streaming content have needed to rely on Amazon's iOS app, which includes AirPlay support.

It is not clear if the app will be integrated into Apple's TV app on tvOS. However, given that Apple CEO Tim Cook announced the app was coming to the Apple TV right after discussing the additions to the app, it seems likely that it will.

Amazon ceased Apple TV sales in October 2015, citing potential customer confusion over which streaming devices support Amazon Prime Video. As a result of Amazon Prime Video becoming available, the Apple TV should return to the marketplace before the launch of the app.

Cook added that besides the Amazon Prime Video addition, "you'll be hearing a lot more about tvOS later this year."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    Finally.  I might need to pick up an Apple TV at long last.  Although I do love my Roku streaming stick.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Too bad there isn't a 4K Apple TV. Prime shows look great in 4K HDR. I'll have to continue to use the built in Amazon app on my TV. 
    mike1cali
  • Reply 3 of 8
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    About damn time, crazy that it has taken this long to sort out.

Presumably Amazon will now start selling Apple TV's again.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I guess Amazon finally stopped being stupid and realized the benefit that comes from this? 
    StrangeDaysspinnydjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    saarek said:
    About damn time, crazy that it has taken this long to sort out.

Presumably Amazon will now start selling Apple TV's again.
    Yes, it's a shame Amazon hated its customers for so long when a simple playback app would satisfy its customers' need even if it didn't meet all of their wants.
    edited June 2017 jbdragoncali
  • Reply 6 of 8
    For 86 years, most governments banned the practice of "cornering the market"...The governments were really slow to understand the new "digital" markets (it took them over 20 years, during which time at least two emotionally challenged people became billionaires and wreaked havoc on humanity until being forced out), but nowadays even world leaders "tweet" and get in trouble for putting public data on private email servers in their basement --so that era of "regulatory ignorance" is long over. In other words, there is really no way that companies closing in on a trillion dollar market cap could maintain a truly locked-in/closed digital ecosystem, except when it benefits the public (like forcing all the third-party apps to be reviewed to help protect their consumers from losing control of their data/network/devices). Clearly, stopping someone from playing their Amazon videos on their AppleTV isn't protecting the consumer. The real question is, will users be satisfied with only being able to summon Siri on their iPhone with their voice (and not Alexa or some other natural language assistant)...
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    waverboy said:
    Finally.  I might need to pick up an Apple TV at long last.  Although I do love my Roku streaming stick.
    I won't pick up a new ATV until they offer one in 4K. My old Apple TV works just fine for my needs. However, I never needed the Amazon App on my ATV -- I just accessed it on my iPhone, used it as a remote for the movie, and streamed it from the phone to the ATV via AirPlay -- I actually prefer that to the old ATV interface. In fact if the ATV only did one thing -- AirPlay -- I would have bought it. So this never has been a problem for Apple customers with at least one other Apple product.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 8 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Worst announcement of the day. I was hoping they showed off the new tvOS or new hardware. Instead they showed off Anazon's product. Kinda strange labeling it one of their big announcements.