Apple unveils $649 10.5" iPad Pro featuring 20% larger display with ProMotion, A10X CPU

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2017
Apple officially updated its iPad Pro lineup on Monday, with the most popular base model receiving a larger 10.5-inch display with thinner bezels, while still weighing just 1 pound. The screen also features "ProMotion" technology and other enhancements, dramatically improving visual performance.

ProMotion enables faster refresh rates up to 120 hertz, resulting in smoother scrolling, and more responsiveness from touch input, including just 20ms latency with the Apple Pencil.

Refresh rates are dynamic, adjusting for quality and power savings. Fast-moving content updates quickly for instance, while less intense activities like browsing photos slow things down.

The screen on the 10.5-inch Pro is 20 percent larger than its 9.7-inch predecessor, but with borders reduced by 40 percent. The extra space permits a full-size onscreen keyboard, as well as support for a full-size Smart Keyboard layout.

The 12.9-inch Pro is getting an upgrade too, with all of the capabilities of the 10.5-inch model. Both will feature True Tone white balancing, the P3 wide color gamut, ultralow reflectivity, HDR video, and 600 nits of brightness -- 50 percent brighter than earlier models.

The tablets are powered by a new A10X Fusion chip, delivering 30 percent faster CPU performance over the A9X, and 40 percent faster graphics performance.

Upgraded rear cameras use the same technology as the iPhone 7, namely a 12-megapixel sensor with optical image stabilization. On the front is a 7-megapixel FaceTime HD camera.

A subtle but important upgrade is support for USB 3 transfer speeds, and faster charging with USB-C charging adapters.

New Smart Covers are coming in polyurethane and leather, and Apple is also producing a leather sleeve.

Storage is meanwhile doubling across the board, with both tablets starting at 64 gigabytes, and ranging through 256- and 512-gigabyte configurations. The 10.5-inch model will begin at $649 for Wi-Fi, or $779 with added 4G support. The 12.9-inch option is at least $799, rising to $929 for 4G. A top-end 4G, 12.9-inch iPad with 512 gigabytes of storage is $1,229.

The first online orders should ship on June 13.

Accessories

The Apple Pencil costs $99, and an Apple Pencil Case is being sold for $29. Smart Keyboards are $159 for a 10.5-inch version and $169 for 12.9 inches.

Polyurethane Smart Covers are $49 and $59, respectively, while leather ones are $69 and $79. The two sizes of the Leather Sleeve are $129 and $149, and available in brown, taupe, blue, and black for 10.5-inch iPads, while omitting taupe for the 12.9-inch size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Love the changes to iOS for iPad.

OT: not a huge fan of the new bold fonts on Apple's website. The website redesign was badly needed but these bold fonts just harken back to the old outdated design.
    uniscapevukasika
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Hmm … Apple no longer offers a Case for the iPad Pro?

That is a bit of an inconvenience. Those table surfaces of your coffeeshop better be clean.

>:x

Loving the iPad touches in iOS11.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Time to sell the old iPad Pro and get the new model. Just hope I can sell at the same price I pay for it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    There have been a bunch of rumors about dual cameras on the next iPhones to support augmented reality features, but it's interesting to see that they don't have anything like that on the new iPad Pros. There are a number of nice things about this update, but apart from the screen size it seems like a lot of stuff that you could easily not notice, which is interesting given that it's a new top-of-the-line mobile device that shares an OS with the iPhone, and new iPhone hardware will probably be announced three months from now.

I guess I shouldn't draw too many conclusions from this though, since I'm writing this on a MBP that I got when they first came out and there was a long pre-order wait, and now six months later it has already been discontinued.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    ProMotion enables faster refresh rates up to 120 hertz,
    Finally someone at Apple understood (or the tech finally allowed for that). iPads, due to its large screen size, have been in need of that for years.
    What works at 60Hz for iPhone screen, does not work with the same FPS for iPad sized screen.
    Good job, Apple. That will make experience on iPads much....ehh..smoother.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Anybody figure out whether the leather sleeve will be able to fit both the iPad Pro and the Smart Keyboard together?

• Reply 7 of 12
    Anybody figure out whether the leather sleeve will be able to fit both the iPad Pro and the Smart Keyboard together?

Yes. That's exactly what I want to know. 
    mr o said:

That is a bit of an inconvenience. Those table surfaces of your coffeeshop better be clean.

This is frustrating. It's bad enough that they jacked up the prices when separating the Smart Case into the shell and keyboard cover (it cost more for each piece, purchased together than the original case) but now they aren't even offering the shell. Third party options will surely come but then of course we have to wait for them. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 8 of 12
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member

Yes. That's exactly what I want to know. 
    mr o said:

This is frustrating. It's bad enough that they jacked up the prices when separating the Smart Case into the shell and keyboard cover (it cost more for each piece, purchased together than the original case) but now they aren't even offering the shell. Third party options will surely come but then of course we have to wait for them. 
    Been using my 12.9 without a shell for nearly 2 years. However, I never see my son (16), without his in it's case with Smart Cover.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    ProMotion enables faster refresh rates up to 120 hertz,
    Finally someone at Apple understood (or the tech finally allowed for that). iPads, due to its large screen size, have been in need of that for years.
    What works at 60Hz for iPhone screen, does not work with the same FPS for iPad sized screen.
    Good job, Apple. That will make experience on iPads much....ehh..smoother.

As they said - "buttery smooth"!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tangeytangey Posts: 31member
    Comparing the dimensions of the new 12.9 with the old 12.9, it appears they are exactly the same (although the new one is slightly lighter). This means that the new 12.9" does not have reduced bezels. I had hoped that the 12.9 would have ended up a somewhat smaller. This would have also reduced the weight further.

Is it actually the identical same body / case ?
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I was hoping that the 12.9 screen was 4K UHD.    Little bit disappointing for a almost two year upgrade.    Maybe in another two years.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Apple raised the Starting price again.   Sells are going to fall off again this year (although the next two quarters will probably be pretty good since its been over a year since the last update).