Apple drops Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Vimeo integration in iOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone
Though Apple introduced a multitude of features with iOS 11, the company also removed core functionality from the next-generation mobile operating system, namely system-level integration with certain social media services.

Social media integration in iOS 10.

First noticed by venture capitalist Sean Cook shortly after the first iOS 11 beta was released for developer testing on Monday, Apple has apparently removed iOS Settings integration with Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Vimeo. Axios later confirmed the elimination of services.

According to notes accompanying the beta release, Apple is no longer allowing third-party social media apps access to stored account credentials.

"Social accounts have been removed from Settings iOS 11. Third-party apps no longer have access to those signed-in accounts," Apple says.

The change is a major about-face for Apple, which first incorporated Twitter integration as a system feature in 2011. Facebook sign in support arrived in 2012, while Flickr and Vimeo followed in later iOS iterations.

Prior to the change, iOS users were able to provide their social media logins in Settings and use those credentials to log in to other third-party apps and services. For example, many apps allow new users to create accounts by signing in via Facebook, and Apple's social media integration allowed for easy credential sharing. With those services disabled in iOS 11, users might be forced to rely on web-based cookie sharing.

As noted by The Verge, however, Apple software engineer Ricky Mondello tweeted about an upcoming WWDC session covering Password AutoFill for Apps, suggesting the company might have a workaround prepared that goes far beyond simple social media credentials.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    Good!
    williamlondonqwweratyler82mdriftmeyermike54cornchipvukasikapscooter63anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "Social accounts have been removed from Settings iOS 11. Third-party apps no longer have access to those signed-in accounts," Apple says.
    Yay!
    williamlondonmacseekerqwweramike54cornchipvukasikadewmepscooter63anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I am so glad.
    williamlondonqwweracornchipvukasikaanton zuykovwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 28
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I found this feature very convenient, and elegant, but if they have a better solution that works with a broader range of services, then all the better.
    hmurchisonqwweraMuntzcornchipgregoriusmlostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I liked it.  It allowed me to Tweet or post to Facebook without the need to have the native apps installed. 

qwweraMuntzronnjensonb
  • Reply 6 of 28
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Convenient but seemed a security problem. 
    qwweracornchipbaconstanganton zuykovpscooter63watto_cobraSpamSandwichargonautlostkiwi2old4fun
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Makes sense to me. Apple and ALL social media platforms are on opposite ends when it comes to personal privacy. Let those who need to tell the world what they are having for lunch do so through apps. Good for Apple. Would love it if this stands to the release version.
    mike54cornchipbaconstangwatto_cobraargonautlostkiwi2old4funFoliounicron
  • Reply 8 of 28
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Bravo 👏

I deleted my Facebook app long ago and only use Facebook through Safari. I have also disconnected all plugins and web app integration from Facebook, as well as made my profile completely private to those who are not my friends. I have been left with more sanity and rest easier knowing that my digital life is more secure.
    hmurchisonmike54toysandmemr owatto_cobraargonautFolio
  • Reply 9 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    If they open up the "Share" menu for sign in screens on apps, so that you can auto-fill from a password manager like 1Password, then you don't really need the integration. I suppose it depends on how secure that is - it may not be an easy modification.
    Soli
  • Reply 10 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

<slow clap>
    cornchipunicron
  • Reply 11 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    I almost never used those things. I did, however use the sharing shortcuts for Procreate, Notes and a couple others from time to time. I'm guessing this change doesn't affect those? 
  • Reply 12 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Excellent move.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Ending something that they should have never started. Great.
    baconstanganton zuykov
  • Reply 14 of 28
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    tyler82 said:
    I deleted my Facebook app long ago

Right.  Because you decided not to use something, nobody else should either.  

The egocentric replies in this thread are astounding and disheartening.
    SpamSandwichSoli
  • Reply 15 of 28
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    anome said:
    auto-fill from a password manager like 1Password

LOL, you know those services are no more secure, right? OneLogin just got hacked a few days ago. If you guys are truly into security, storing your passwords in the cloud should be the LAST thing for you to be considering. 
  • Reply 16 of 28
    igamogamigamogam Posts: 42member
    Glad to see the back of a monumental waste of screen space.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ktappe said:
    anome said:
    auto-fill from a password manager like 1Password

LOL, you know those services are no more secure, right? OneLogin just got hacked a few days ago. If you guys are truly into security, storing your passwords in the cloud should be the LAST thing for you to be considering. 
    I think it's unfair to tar other services with the same brush as oneLogin. It looks as if OneLogin allowed you to login to all your sites with a single password. So if that password is hacked then all your services are compromised. Other services use a password to access other passwords. What I don't  understand is how OneLogin lost customer data and the keys to decrypt them. Why did they need the keys? That is just poor. 

As as usual though, the internet will rise up and slash its metaphorical wrists on the news that Apple is screwing its loyal customers again. 

To me, it sounds like they're correcting something they should have never done in the first place: build social media support into the core of the OS. i don't think anyone will notice the difference. You log into the service once when it first asks, and from then on the login details are pulled from the keychain when a share is requested. It'll be fine. 

edited June 2017 pscooter63watto_cobrajensonbwlym
  • Reply 18 of 28
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    ktappe said:
    tyler82 said:
    I deleted my Facebook app long ago

Right.  Because you decided not to use something, nobody else should either.  

The egocentric replies in this thread are astounding and disheartening.

Where does Tyler say that nobody else should use it either? He wasn't responsible for removing those in iOS11 you know?

Some people, who don't use these things are happy the redundant settings for them are removed, just like how people who used these things were happy when iOS 10 introduced them.

You just seem to have some axe to grind. Nothing ego-centric about tyler's, or anybody else's reply on this thread.

pscooter63watto_cobrajohn.b
  • Reply 19 of 28
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Makes sense to me. Apple and ALL social media platforms are on opposite ends when it comes to personal privacy. Let those who need to tell the world what they are having for lunch do so through apps. Good for Apple. Would love it if this stands to the release version.
    Just think of Facebook and the like to be "Anti-social Media" and you are IMHO good to go. AFAIK, they have become more like cesspits for humanity than social interaction mediums. I know that not every user is like that but they do have more than a few deaths to answer for. One person taking their own life is one too many.

watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Just think of Facebook and the like to be "Anti-social Media" and you are IMHO good to go. AFAIK, they have become more like cesspits for humanity than social interaction mediums. I know that not every user is like that but they do have more than a few deaths to answer for. One person taking their own life is one too many.

Sounds like a good reason to ban cars worldwide. 

Facebook doesn't kill people; people kill people. 

jensonb