Real to go opensource. Howzzat work?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, from the article they say they are basically going to opensource everything (encoders, decoders, player...) HOW are they going to make money?? You can use QTStreamingServer to distribute also Real media... the encoders are free now... someone explain?

<a href="http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5469"; target="_blank">Article Here (Macworld UK)</a>

[quote]

Macworld Daily News

Tuesday - October 29, 2002

RealNetworks' open-source media move

By Matt Berger

RealNetworks will release the source code (Helix DNA Client) for its media player ? enabling developers to build free version of the player for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

It marks the first open source initiative from the company as it ramps up its Helix product line and strategy. Within the next year it is expected to release an open source media server, as well as freely available technology to encode audio and video files.

Helix DNA Client is an open-source version of the engine that powers the company's commercial RealOne Player. It can be built into a diverse selection of devices, including handhelds, mobile phones and computers.

Public code

Real will ship the code required to build players for desktop operating systems from Microsoft, Apple, and Linux. The code can be modified for other operating systems such as those from Symbian, Palm and Wind River Systems.

Dan Sheeran, vice president of media systems at RealNetworks, said: "You can grab this code and port it to your platform as quickly as you want."

The company is betting on the open-source development model to establish its media formats and technology as a standard for streaming and playing back media. RealNetworks competes with Microsoft and Apple in the field.

RealNetworks is also offering developers free access to its compression and decompression technology, or codec, so that open source players built with the Helix code will be able to play back RealAudio and RealVideo files.

<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Real player will work in open as well.

Apple talks so much - but doesn't let the ichat's source out so i can't ichat with fire.

ZO i can ask for that; just another point.. macgè..

I'll help you find sth
  • Reply 2 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I was refering to their business. How can they make any money if everything they do is opensourced? All I can figure is the money they make with all these subscriptions things going on... but still...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    It looks like they are only open sourcing the code for their player, decoder and encoder.

But didn't mention about "server tax"

So I assume people (or corporations) still have to pay for streams