Apple deploys third developer betas of iOS 10.3.3, macOS 10.12.6, watchOS 3.2.3, tvOS 10.2...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2017
Apple on Tuesday issued third betas of iOS 10.3.3, macOS 10.12.6, watchOS 3.2.3, and tvOS 10.2.2 to the developer community, running those betas in parallel with the new versions of the company's operating systems revealed at WWDC.

The iOS and Mac updates can be downloaded through Apple's developer portal, or through the software update feature on properly registered devices.

The watchOS update is more complex, requiring that people use the official Watch app for the iPhone, and have their Apple Watch plugged in nearby with at least 50 percent charge. The tvOS beta requires developers to connect the fourth-generation Apple TV to a Mac through a USB cable, and upgrade with iTunes.

Nothing of note was found with the previous betas other than some new wallpaper graphics which were included in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro refresh and the new 10.5-inch iPad Pro revealed at WWDC.

Also running are the first tests by developers on iOS 11, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11. Apple's iOS 11 appears to carry the most changes, with upgrades to Siri, Apple Pay, Photos and a general user interface revamp.

The macOS High Sierra update contains a number of refinements and other improvements like Apple File System integration, migration from H.264 to H.265, and Metal 2.

Update: Apple has also released the public beta version of iOS 10.3.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm mostly excited with APFS. That's supposed to speed up a number of things, particularly the finder, and folder info. But, most importantly, it's supposed to isolate services and processes so that we see a lot fewer beach balls, and in a keep my fingers crossed sort of way, no beach balls.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    melgross said:
    I'm mostly excited with APFS.
    APFS comes with High Sierra, 10.13.
    It's worth getting excited about though!
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cpsro said:
    melgross said:
    Um, yes, it does.

the only thing I'm not sure I like is the new "copy" command. When I want a copy, I want a real copy. I haven't read anything yet that says you can do that.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cpsro said:
    melgross said:
    Sierra can read and write to APFS drives. It just can't use them as a boot drive like High Sierra can.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's unusual to see a 10.12.6 beta after the 10.13 beta.  Plus there's Keynote, Pages and Numbers ... my head is spinning.  Remember for  APFS on drives that need backing up, CCC is now working in latest beta.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 6 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    It's unusual to see a 10.12.6 beta after the 10.13 beta.  Plus there's Keynote, Pages and Numbers ... my head is spinning.  Remember for  APFS on drives that need backing up, CCC is now working in latest beta.
    I'm pretty sure there's current OS updates not only after the next OS has been released as a beta, but also after the next OS has been released. MacTracker will give you dates.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    I'm pretty sure there's current OS updates not only after the next OS has been released as a beta, but also after the next OS has been released. MacTracker will give you dates.
    You are correct, my head is still spinning though. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Oh, god no! If that's what you want, and you're using an SSD as your boot drive, just make sure you uncheck the box to convert to APFS before you update to High Sierra.

PS: Why is that being discussed in this thread? Did I miss something about a 2nd High Sierra beta?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    melgross said:
    the only thing I'm not sure I like is the new "copy" command. When I want a copy, I want a real copy. I haven't read anything yet that says you can do that.
    I read somewhere that the copy is essentially a fancy alias, that any further revisions are stored separately. So it seems to me it's probably an offshoot of versioning and your original would stay intact, like any other version, and always available, with modifications forked for both 'copies'. If that's the case, it would be a clever use of Versions.
    edited June 2017 Soli
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Soli said:
    Oh, god no! If that's what you want, and you're using an SSD as your boot drive, just make sure you uncheck the box to convert to APFS before you update to High Sierra.

PS: Why is that being discussed in this thread? Did I miss something about a 2nd High Sierra beta?
    Who was that addressed to?  
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Huh! That was suppose to have to included Melgross' post above it. To recap and elaborate, the way APFS works by only copying files (or maybe even blocks) that are changed from the original is the way I want a modern file system to work. I feel that HFS+ being replaced is loooong overdue. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Huh! That was suppose to have to included Melgross' post above it. To recap and elaborate, the way APFS works by only copying files (or maybe even blocks) that are changed from the original is the way I want a modern file system to work. I feel that HFS+ being replaced is loooong overdue. 
    Gotcha. Got to say,  the newish interface still trips me up all the time!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jony0 said:
    melgross said:
    I read somewhere that the copy is essentially a fancy alias, that any further revisions are stored separately. So it seems to me it's probably an offshoot of versioning and your original would stay intact, like any other version, and always available, with modifications forked for both 'copies'. If that's the case, it would be a clever use of Versions.
    Well, that's what it is. But I often like to have a copy that stays the same as when I made it.
  • Reply 14 of 14

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:

Yeah, I know that, and it's what I don't like. I'd prefer that pressing command, or option, or something, would allow a "normal" copy. It's almost as though it's de-duping before the copy is made.