Apple's Tim Cook talks HomePod, AR, personal legacy & more in new interview excerpt

Posted:
in General Discussion
In an interview excerpt published on Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook commented on a variety of topics, including how much time he spends thinking about what people will say about his legacy at Apple.

"None," Cook said in conversation with Bloomberg Businessweek. "To be totally honest with you, I don't think in those terms. I think more about doing stuff. I hope people remember me as a good and decent man. And if they do, then that's success."

The CEO claimed in fact that "Steve [Jobs]'s DNA will always be the base for Apple," and that he wants that to be true in 50 or 100 years, regardless of who follows him.

"His [Jobs's] ethos should drive that -- the attention to detail, the care, the simplicity, the focus on the user and the user experience, the focus on building the best, the focus that good isn't good enough, that it has to be great, or in his words, 'insanely great'," he said.

Cook even likened Jobs's philosophy to the U.S. Constitution, claiming "it should not change," and that the company "should revere it."

Speaking about the HomePod, shipping in December, the executive explained the emphasis on music over Siri by noting that Siri is already available on several other products, and that Apple hasn't put much focus on home music so far. He also defended its $349 pricetag -- far higher than for an Amazon Echo or Google Home -- by saying similar cost complaints were leveled at the first generations of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

Cook talked briefly on the topic on augmented reality, in light of the announcement of ARKit for iPhone and iPad developers, and rumors of future wearables.

"I am so excited about it [AR], I just want to yell out and scream," he said. "The first step in making it a mainstream kind of experience is to put it in the operating system. We're building it into iOS 11, opening it to -- developers -- and unleashing the creativity of millions of people. Even we can't predict what's going to come out."

Apple has been talking to IKEA, Cook said, hinting that the home furnishing giant plans to use ARKit to change how people shop, and that for Apple, this is the beginning of a longer road.

"Can we do everything we want to do now? No. The technology's not complete yet," he remarked. "But that's the beauty to a certain degree. This has a runway. And it's an incredible runway. It's time to put the seat belt on and go. When people begin to see what's possible, it's going to get them very excited -- like we are, like we've been."

Cook also touched on U.S. President Donald Trump, once again confirming that he's not on any council, but that he tries to exert influence.

"Pulling out of the Paris climate accord was very disappointing. I felt a responsibility to do every single thing I could for it not to happen," he said, likely referring to a recent call to the White House. "I think it's the wrong decision. If I see another opening on the Paris thing, I'm going to bring it up again."
fastasleepgilly33lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Tim Cook is a visionary, moreso than any other CEO I've ever heard of, when it comes to the big business picture, and that includes basing your success on doing good in the world.

Part is derived from his global supply chain and strategic marketing management, part from the vision of Steve Jobs and Apple, and part from his own native intellgence.
    edited June 2017 jony0JinTechfastasleepgilly33lollivercolinng
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member
    flaneur said:
    Tim Cook is a visionary, moreso than any other CEO I've ever heard of, when it comes to the big business picture, and that includes basing your success on doing good in the world.

Part is derived from his global supply chain and strategic marketing management, part from the vision of Steve Jobs and Apple, and part from his own native intellgence.
    I agree. I think this will be a stand out year for Apple. Something many have said should have come sooner. What people don't realize is that success cannot be rushed. People also seem to think every single thing Steve Jobs ever came out with was pure genuis who had no failures, which is untrue. I think Tim is doing a damn fine job for Apple and I believe that he sincerely cares about the products they ship and the world we live in.
    fastasleepgilly33lollivercolinng
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Cooks retires from Apple at 70 there’s a White House to move into.
    edited June 2017 fastasleepgilly33lollivercolinng
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    ireland said:
    If Cooks retires from Apple at 70 there’s a White House to move into
    ;)
    colinng
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    In before the homophobic climate deniers. 

I very much like this man. Humble, while fully aware of the power and influence he wields. He really, truly seems to get it, and walks the walk. 

“That everyone deserves a basic level of human rights, regardless of their color, regardless of their religion, regardless of their sexual orientation, regardless of their gender. That everyone deserves respect. And, you know, I’ll fight for it until my toes point up. ... There’s still too many cases in the world and in the United States where there’s a class kind of structure or where voting or people are trying to convince each other that this other group of people don’t deserve the same rights. And I think it’s crazy, I think it’s un-American. I think it doesn’t belong. And I also see as a businessman in Apple, I can see the value in diversity. I see a tremendous company that because we don’t judge each other, because we don’t have different rights and so forth because we allow anyone in the front door. I see a company where this inclusion really inspires innovation. And so I see the value of it from that point of view as well. But from a -- more from a human point of view, I feel it’s just and right.”
    colinng
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    All round great guy. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    In before the homophobic climate deniers. 
    As we have learned with Samsung, first isn't always right 😉