This week on AI: Apple's 'iPhone 8' features all but confirmed, 2017 4K iMac review & more...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Following the intensity of WWDC, the heat of the iron softened to a warm glow this week, with reports all but confirming some of the features of upcoming iPhones -- as well as original video content becoming a key product at Apple.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The "iPhone 8" will likely have 3D facial recognition and iris scanning > >
  • An Apple supplier revealed that the 'iPhone 7s Plus' will have wireless charging and better waterproofing > >
  • Apple announced the hiring of two former Sony executives for its video plans > >
  • Apple stocks took a beating in a wider tech selloff, and out of concern over cellular speeds on the 'iPhone 8' > >
  • AppleInsider reviewed the new 4K iMac > >
  • These may or may not be genuine panels for all three new iPhones > >
  • Tim Cook said Apple's self-driving car technology is "the mother of all AI projects" > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Largan confirms it will ship facial recognition 3D sensors this year, in time for Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Apple partner Wistron says 'iPhone 7s Plus' will include wireless charging, improved waterproofing

Apple beefs up unique video content team with pair of Sony programming directors

AAPL drops in wake of broader tech selloff, claims of throttled 'iPhone 8'

Review: Apple's 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K display gets solid 2017 architectural refresh

Leak purports to show front and back panels of Apple's 'iPhone 8' & 'iPhone 7s'

Self-driving machine learning at core of Apple's car ambitions, declares Tim Cook in interview

Drag-and-drop for iPhone enabled by tweaks in Apple's iOS 11 beta code

Apple issues new $1B bond to finance 'green' energy projects

Review: Apple's new 12" MacBook boasts incremental speed improvements

Wisconsin location reportedly under consideration for US Foxconn factory

Report claims Apple expanding CareKit, working on iPhone health record repository feature

Watch: 2017 MacBook Pro with Kaby Lake CPU vs. Apple's 2016 Skylake model

Apple's eGPU developer's kit is promising, but what gets delivered in the future is anybody's guess

Watch: 2017 vs. 2016 Apple iPad Pro comparison

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Since it's looking like all three new phones will have a redesign (with all backs being glass), they might actually *all* be called iPhone 8. Maybe with the home-buttonless version being called iPhone 8x (because it's extra :D ).* It makes sense not to have the new AR features on a (relatively) unattainable Edition phone, so it makes also makes sense to have it look similar and priced within reach from the base iPhones.

*Come to think of it, that could be an excellent marketing strategy. "Extra" is a pretty fun word that ppl like to throw around a lot.

OT: Whomever is responsible for the Apple TV aerials is an artistic genius. I'm not sure if I've ever used the term 'breathtaking' before, but I think it applies here. I've just been watching the new iceberg and (Chinese?) mountain ones.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Since it's looking like all three new phones will have a redesign (with all backs being glass), they might actually *all* be called iPhone 8.
    .Would they really skip the 7S release all together? Should we then expect a new number every year? Why even have a number? They don't do it with the iPad (anymore) or the Mac.

OT: Whomever is responsible for the Apple TV aerials is an artistic genius. I'm not sure if I've ever used the term 'breathtaking' before, but I think it applies here. I've just been watching the new iceberg and (Chinese?) mountain ones.
    They look great on your Mac, too.

edited June 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 6
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I can't believe how after all these years Apple has complete and total mastery of slowing building intense interest in the next iPhone by expertly controlled leaks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I can't believe how after all these years Apple has complete and total mastery of slowing building intense interest in the next iPhone by expertly controlled leaks.
    I have yet to see why people won't like the upcoming iphone 7s models. They are just as fast... will have iOS 11... and nothing 'experimental' stuck inside of them. Best of all... they will be priced cheaper than the iPhone 8!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Soli said:
    Since it's looking like all three new phones will have a redesign (with all backs being glass), they might actually *all* be called iPhone 8.
    .Would they really skip the 7S release all together? Should we then expect a new number every year? Why even have a number? They don't do it with the iPad (anymore) or the Mac.

They look great on your Mac, too.

@Soli I had totally discounted that idea until that evidence came out suggesting all glass backs. If this is the case (and that's a big "if"), I think Apple would prioritize integrity of their product naming (i.e. different form factor/materials means different number) over their phone cycle progression. I think this makes even more sense as the iPhone 7 is so similar to the iPhone 6 in design; I think it's perfectly fine to do it this way, I love the 7, but there are many who have been complaining (whining?) about not having a 'new' form factor.

And thanks for that Apple TV Arial app link! I'll definitely share with others. However, after the 10.5" came out I've decided to try to go full iOS. Although I'm stuck with pos dells at my work locations, iOS should be perfect for my personal use (occasional presentations or write-ups).