'Back to the Future' fan makes Apple's iPad, Xcode centerpiece of custom DeLorean modifica...

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
Utilizing several third-party solutions, a "Back to the Future" film fanatic has built a custom DeLorean door and trunk controller in a dash-mounted iPad that can also provide speed information, as well as nearly all of the features that an Apple CarPlay solution would.

Imgur user TheKingOfDub posted the gallery early Tuesday morning of the project with a corresponding thread on Reddit. The project appears near complete.

The entire setup is built around a Mac mini of unspecified model, and a custom app developed by the designer in Xcode utilizing the Xcode Interface Builder for prototyping. The iPad mini is mounted magnetically and takes the place of the car's air conditioning vents, and connects to a Bluetooth relay strip for temperature monitoring, plus door control in conjunction with a third-party accessory.

The door and trunk buttons are disabled when the car exceeds 10 miles per hour. The user claims that the speedometer is on the iPad because the DeLorean implementation is "virtually impossible to see" with poor legibility.

The iPad also connects to a Wi-Fi backup camera, and utilizes Google's voice recognition for calling up navigational assistance. Internet searches are handled by the Google app's voice recognition.

Media control is handled by Siri, with gestures on the screen used for volume up and down, and previous and last track.

The previous deck has been moved to the passenger's side of the front seat, allowing control of existing radio and CD functionality. The passenger can also watch video streamed from the iPad on the screen.

Future plans include an iPhone version of the remote app, and added proximity detection for auto-unlocking and opening the doors when the user is close enough to connect to the car's Bluetooth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Why isn't there a red line on the speedometer at 88? Hmm, it says km/h not miles/h.
    mobiusking editor the gratejbdragonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 25
    I am very disappointed that the track playing is not "Power of Love" nor "Back in Time" by Huey Lewis and the News.
    SolimobiusStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonjbdragonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Why isn't there a red line on the speedometer at 88? Hmm, it says km/h not miles/h.
    I am very disappointed that the track playing is not "Power of Love" nor "Back in Time" by Huey Lewis and the News.
    If this is a functional Back to the Future homage then there's an attention to detail that seems to be lacking. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 4 of 25
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Or maybe a track by The Pinheads!  B)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Ew, it's an automatic transmission :-P
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wouldn't be road legal in my country, sadly.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Does it have an iFlux Capacitor app?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Soli said:
    If this is a functional Back to the Future homage then there's an attention to detail that seems to be lacking. 

If this were a real homage, it wouldn't have this iPad thing at all and would include bunch of tubes and wires and doodads in the place of the rear window.  This is just an interesting hobby project with a tiny hint of Back to the Future touches.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Does it require 1.21 JIGAWATTS! to work? (and yes a J is used instead of a G for this special case)
    SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 25
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Wow that DMC logo looks awfully like DNC logo...

Delaware North Companies
  • Reply 11 of 25
    JinTech said:

Delaware North Companies
    There is no way that is a coincidence.  But it not like DeLorean is still using it, and the trademark office seems to be ok with it.
    JinTech
  • Reply 12 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:

Indeed - as pointed out below:

dysamoria said:
    Ew, it's an automatic transmission :-P

I remember the astonishment from my classmates at an American film with a manual transmission in it.

Still, the only reason anyone drives a DeLorean these days is because of [I]Back to the Future[/I]. Didn't someone claim the most implausible part of the film was getting a DeLorean up to 88 mph?

I suppose if they were to reboot the franchise now, the car would be a Tesla. "I figured if I was going to build a time machine into a car, I might as well do it with some environmental responsibility. Also the onboard software made it relatively easy to integrate the Flux Capacitor control systems..."

• Reply 13 of 25
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    JinTech said:

Delaware North Companies
    There is no way that is a coincidence.  But it not like DeLorean is still using it, and the trademark office seems to be ok with it.
    Agreed. I do not think Delaware North is using this logo anymore either - just a very interesting find lol
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    One thing I've always wondered about in-car computer modifications is the heat. Can't really leave the iPad mini or Mac Mini attached to the car in the summer, can you? But you can't very well carry them into a store, either.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    He's a couple of years late, isn't he?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    The licence plate "BTTF" (Back to the Future), looks too plain to be a US plate. The landscaping and building (a dorm, or public housing?) doesn't look Australian either, perhaps European? More importantly, Is this a potential CarPlay substitute for the rest of us?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    ireland said:
    Wouldn't be road legal in my country, sadly.
    Rep of Ire I'm guessing? How so? I did some major mods to my interior/stereo on my first car, including running a car-pc connected to my ECU via the odb2 port. I could monitor and change settings on the fly. I had no door handles on the car at all - they were all remotely 'popped' by solenoids. Most of my centre console/dash was custom fibreglassed to house the screens and junk in behind. Sailed through it's MOT every year in Scotland, the biggest trouble I had was actually related to how low the car sat on 19s and my daft camber settings. oh to be young again lol.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    steveau said:
     More importantly, Is this a potential CarPlay substitute for the rest of us?
    Please, no.

Just get an aftermarket CarPlay solution. Yes, there are a few people who have managed to get CarPlay to run on an iPad, if you can install an iPad in a dashboard and make bluetooth relay boards, you can install a radio. Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC all make double-height DIN units. Pioneer makes single-DIN units as well. These are the solutions for the rest of us.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Soli said:
    Agreed.  It's a really cool use of Apple tech to automate a Delorian, but it really has nothing to do with Back To The Future.  Everything about the dashboard is different from the car shown in the movie.
    steveau said:
    The licence plate "BTTF" (Back to the Future), looks too plain to be a US plate. The landscaping and building (a dorm, or public housing?) doesn't look Australian either, perhaps European? More importantly, Is this a potential CarPlay substitute for the rest of us?
    If you follow the links to view the full size picture, you can see that the plate says "Ontario".  He's in Canada.  Another hint is that the iPad shows "TELUS" (a Canadian carrier) in the upper-left corner.

• Reply 20 of 25
    RealKingOfDubRealKingOfDub Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    It isn't an homage. It's to add functionality to my car. Article incorrectly says I'm a Back to the Future fanatic.
    SoliSpamSandwich