First look: Logitech Slim Combo Smart Connector keyboard for 10.5" iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2017
The latest option in the slowly growing lineup of iPad Pro Smart Connector accessories is Logitech's new Slim Combo keyboard, which offers the convenience of a physical keyboard with the ability to easily detach and use as a tablet. AppleInsider offers a closer look.

In Logitech's first take on a Smart Connector keyboard, the Logitech Create, the keyboard and rear iPad case were permanently attached, making the iPad more of a laptop replacement. This time around, however, Logitech's Slim Combo has made efforts to retain the option of tablet-only mode by making the iPad and keyboard detachable.

In addition, the Slim Combo is specifically designed for Apple's 2017 iPad Pro update, with a 10.5-inch version specifically designed to fit Apple's new form factor. They come in black or blue, and are priced at $129.95 for the 10.5-inch version, and $149.95 for the 12.9-inch.

Logitech provided AppleInsider with a blue 10.5-inch version to test with the iPad Pro. Notably, the smaller variant has a stiff, solid, hard plastic keyboard on the base, while the 12.9-inch model can be folded underneath the keyboard.

Construction is light and solid. The keyboard has a cloth, textured back that should help it grip when used on a table or a lap. The keys are backlit, and because the keyboard is powered by the Smart Connector, there is no battery and no need to recharge.

Up top, the keyboard adds a row of function keys, including a ahome button, brightness control, search, media playback, volume and lock.

Underneath, it's a slightly undersized physical keyboard, still comfortable enough to type for touch typists.

The second half of the device is a hard plastic case that covers the back of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro. It has all of the cutouts you'd expect for speakers, cameras, microphones and connectors, as well as a handy loop to hold the Apple Pencil up top.

Most notably, the case has a very sturdy kickstand on the back that can be adjusted to the user's liking with 50 degrees of tilt. We appreciate how solid the kickstand is and how much variety if offers in displaying the iPad.

Because the case and keyboard are separate pieces, users can detach the keyboard if they choose, and just use their iPad for reading or drawing. Because the kickstand is attached to the case, it can still be used without the keyboard attached.

The front of the case has a noticeable lip around the perimeter, which allows it to clamshell like a laptop and lock the iPad Pro screen when closed against the keyboard. The lip is absent along the left border of the case, allowing users to hold the iPad with one hand without the lip in the way, while still controlling the device with their other, free hand.

AppleInsider will have much more on the Logitech Slim Case keyboard for 10.5-inch iPad Pro in our full review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    I wonder if the keys are backlit. Would be a great feature.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    thanx_althanx_al Posts: 70member
    I have this keyboard/case for the 12.9" iPad Pro and just used it on an overseas trip and I love it. The backlit keys are outstanding on a plane, the kickstand gives you a wide range of positions and the pencil holder is great. I have Apple's Smart Keyboard and this keyboard is better. The multiple positions and backlit keyboard are the top selling points for me. Apple's Smart keyboard and silicone case for the back are thinner and lighter, but their functionality is much less compared to this offering. I'm glad I waited for this version. I tested the Logitech Create in-store and didn't like it. 
    edited June 2017 macseekerGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Can somebody please just make a nice lightweight leather case for it. That's all I want and it doesn't exist.
    kaitain4
  • Reply 4 of 24
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 573member
    "I wonder if the keys are backlit. Would be a great feature."

Yes the Logitech keyboard keys are backlit.  The Apple cover/keyboard is not.

"Can somebody please just make a nice lightweight leather case for it. That's all I want and it doesn't exist."

Apple now provides a leather sleeve with pencil holder for the iPad Pro's (and according the Q&A it will fit both the iPad Pro 10.5" with the Apple cover/keyboard:

https://www.apple.com/shop/questions/product/MPU12ZM/A/leather-sleeve-for-105‑inch-ipad-pro-saddle-brown

So I'm ordering one today.

I looked at both the Apple cover/keyboard and the Logitech (the only ones currently out for the new Pro's) and opted for the Apple version.  It is super slim and the keyboard (now full size) works really well for the limited typing a need to do on the go.  I highly recommend it.  The only downsides are the as a stand it is limited in adjustment and its a bit of rubric's cube to figure out all of the ways it can be used (but after a day it becomes second nature).
  • Reply 5 of 24
    macseeker said:
    * See the 5th paragraph. Short answer yes. 
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Can somebody please just make a nice lightweight leather case for it. That's all I want and it doesn't exist.
    One search...

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ipad-pro-leather-sleeve

Im sure there are plenty of other manufacturers. 
  • Reply 7 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macseeker said:
    They said it is.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    The name is too long.they should have come up with something easier to remember, and a bit snappier.

i just looked it up. What seems to be the name in the headline is just mostly the headline. I was thinking that the actual name is "Logitech Slim Combo Smart Connector" keyboard, but it's just Logitech Slim Combo.

adding to my post here. This is heavy. The 10.5 model weighs 1.16 lbs. the 12.9 model weighs 1.41 lbs.

so my 12.9 will weigh almost 3 lbs with this. That almost a pound more than the Macbook! And close to the 13" Macbook Pro. That's the problem with these kinds of things. If I wanted something that heavy, I would have bought something that heavy.
    edited June 2017 toysandmeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 24
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    melgross said:

so my 12.9 will weigh almost 3 lbs with this. That almost a pound more than the Macbook! And close to the 13" Macbook Pro. That's the problem with these kinds of things. If I wanted something that heavy, I would have bought something that heavy.
    That's the problem. I'm gonna go with the 10.5 Pro and the nice iClever full-size backlit keyboard (300 gr with sleeve). 
  • Reply 10 of 24
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    macseeker said:
    * See the 5th paragraph. Short answer yes. 
    Yes, a short sentence in the article.  Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    macseeker said:
    Says so in the article.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    I use a Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro keyboard with my iPad Air 2. One feature I particularly like on the Belkin is the ability to switch the keyboard to a second device (in this case my iPhone) via hot key combo . This is done via bluetooth. Switching allows me to type text on the phone via apps not found on the iPad, such as WhatsApp. Been thinking about getting the new iPad, however, hate to lose the switching feature between devices.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    What, take my gorgeous looking Apple device and convert it into a fugly, "Logi" logo-laden POS-looking device?

Regardless of functionality, I wouldn't spend ten bucks on it.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    Bought the 10.5" iPad Pro and Apple Smart Keyboard and couldn't be happier.  The keyboard case protects the iPad without adding any significant bulk or weight, and it fits into my Apple Sleeve Case. Other than Apple, https://www.sfbags.com is the only store I'd buy any custom fit carrying cases for my Apple devices.

edited June 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Nice...  Very nice...
    But, they forgot the TouchPad.   Where's the TouchPad?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jkaplbjkaplb Posts: 1member
    I have one of these cases. It is one of the most poorly designed products I've purchased. It is thick beyond anything I expected. The surfaces are all hard and slippery--the "fabric" is just patterned hard plastic. It is not comfortable to carry. The top and bottom are easily misaligned and separate when carried. Leave this on your car seat and it will go flying with a moderate tap of the brakes. Forget using the Pencil in note taking/hand held mode. The lip around the bottom makes that ungainly. I really can't emphasize how much I dislike this product, but even more the thought process that allowed it to come to market as is. Better materials would go a long way towards improving it. Reducing the lip on the bottom shell would too. The only use scenario that is even something to consider is on a desk, but why not just carry a thinner MacBook? Even on the desktop, it's super awkward as any seasoned MacBook user will constantly search for the non existent trackpad. 
    melgross
  • Reply 17 of 24
    toysandme said:
    melgross said:

That's the problem. I'm gonna go with the 10.5 Pro and the nice iClever full-size backlit keyboard (300 gr with sleeve). 
    I really like the 12.9 though. When iOS 11 comes out, only it will be able to use the multasking the way Apple is intending it to work. The 10.5 will work more like the 9.7. And the keyboards for the 10.5 are not full size, even though Apple is saying so. Slightly bigger, yes, but not by much. The keyboard for the 12.9 is full sized.

remember that the benefit of the 10.5, which is that it's almost the same size as the 9.7, being only about .25" longer, means that any add on keyboard will only be .25" wider. That's not much.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 18 of 24

What, take my gorgeous looking Apple device and convert it into a fugly, "Logi" logo-laden POS-looking device?

Regardless of functionality, I wouldn't spend ten bucks on it.
    Another review, which was otherwise quite good, called it the ugly iPad. I would buy it if it weren't for the weight. I don't understand why they can't get these things a bit lighter. Even if the 12.9 model was just one lb, I might do it. But this is just too much.
  • Reply 19 of 24

Nice...  Very nice...
    Is that actually an attempted joke?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:

Nice...  Very nice...
    Is that actually an attempted joke?
    "The Tweet Speaks for Itself"