Apple was both best friend & worst enemy of FireWire in tumultuous deployment history

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
A standout tech of Jobs's new Apple after his return to the company was FireWire -- but Apple's moves both before and after his return acted as both salvations and damnation of the high-speed protocol.

A history written by Robert C. Moss for Ars Technica chronicles the FireWire technology from its infancy, through its confusing names across companies, to its ultimate state now as a niche connector still used in just a handful of industries.

The technology started in 1987, when a group of engineers including Michael Johas Teener at National Semiconductor needed to consolidate multiple high-speed connectivity standard proposals. Shortly thereafter, Teener joined Apple, and the company was looking for an ADB replacement that could carry audio as well.

At the time, the nascent spec that would become FireWire could move 12 Mbit/sec. Apple wanted 50, so Teener and David James -- who worked previously at National Semiconductor -- re-engineered the spec for high bitrate signals.
"I think the story really is that [FireWire] just reflected the Apple of that era," -- ex-Director of Macintosh OEM Products Eric Sirkin
It was at this point that FireWire diverged from the effort that would become USB. The pair implemented isochronous transport, meaning that the chain could guarantee when the next packet of data would arrive from an external device. This technology made the protocol ideal for professional audio and video needs.

IBM then jumped in the fray, but wanted a replacement for SCSI, and 100 Mbit/second transfers. Teener and James then enlisted the help of STMicroelectronics to implement data-strobe encoding -- yet another technology to speed transfers.

A connector engineer at Apple suggested along the way for the final spec of FireWire 400 that it use a connector similar to the Nintendo Game Boy link cable. The Nintendo connector put the parts of the connection most likely to be damaged in the cable, and not in the host computer.

Submission and Ratification

The working technology was called ChefCat. Just before the Comdex show in 1993, the engineers working on the technology renamed it Firewire -- with the name changed by marketing to FireWire.

The 300-page specification was completed and ratified in 1995. It allowed for 400 Mbit/s -- hence the later name of FireWire 400 -- over cables up to 4.5 meters long, delivering 1.5A of current. As Apple fans are aware, the technology did away with arcane SCSI termination rules, and device address settings.

Other names for the technology were Texas Instruments' Lynx, plus Sony's i.Link and and DV-input. The name wasn't the only thing that Sony went its own way on -- the Sony FireWire four-pin connector was made without consulting the other FireWire contrubutors.

Praise for the connector, and tumult at Apple

FireWire was heralded as a significant technology by pundits, and the industry. At one point, Apple cancelled the FireWire effort.

"One year the company was trying to out-compete the PC by undercutting the PC market because the board decided it was losing market share," said New Media Division Director of Macintosh OEM Products Eric Sirkin. "The next year after they got market share, they realized that there was no innovation. So they'd swing the other way."

Sirkin realized the value of the connector, and adopted it for his division for marketing to consumer electronics companies. He initially insitututed a $50,000 one-time licensing fee for use of the technology, regardless of how many devices a licensee developed.

Intel promised to bake support for FireWire directly into its chips for Windows PCs.

Then, Steve Jobs returned to Apple, and both heavily advanced the technology, and killed it before its time.

Best of times, worst of times

Under Jobs, Apple shipped the Blue and White G3 -- the first Apple product to get the connector without needing a PCI expansion card. At the same time, Jobs restructured the FireWire license to demand $1 per port in fees, So, above and beyond the already more expensive than USB technology to use FireWire, manufacturers had to dole out $2 per manufactured item.

Intel withdrew its support for adopting FireWire, and shifted over to USB 2.0. A month later, Apple lowered the price to $0.25 per system, but Intel was still out.

Firewire over Ethernet proposed cabling
Firewire over Ethernet proposed cabling

An effort to move the technology to Ethernet failed. Teener believes that it was sunk because the 1394 Trade Association didn't want to deal with Jobs's mercurial licensing efforts again.

This effectively ended wide support for FireWire on Windows computers.

Apple tried to keep it alive with inclusion in the iPod up to a year after the 30-pin connector was adopted, and the technology evolved into FireWire 800, then 1600, then 3200 -- all necessitating a different connector across generations.

The last FireWire 800 Mac shipped in 2012. Apple never adopted the faster standards.

What could have been

FireWire 800 devices persist in the audio industry to this day. So much so, that when Apple changed core audio routines in El Capitan in 2015, there was a hue and cry to fix the problem, post haste -- and Apple did.

FireWire basically went extinct after Jobs declared it dead in 2008. Apple started shipping computers with Thunderbolt in 2011 before it migrated to USB 3.0.

The lone notable consumer FireWire S1600 device was a Sony video camera. The IEEE 1394 group promised a single fiber mode transport in 2009, which died on the vine in 2013.

"I think the story really is that [FireWire] just reflected the Apple of that era," said Sirkin. "And here is a very innovative technology that it just refused to deploy in its computers. The only way Apple did was by finding another company, in this case Sony, who latched onto it. And then after Sony got excited about it, then Apple did."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple’s Firewire debacle is the main reason I’m sticking with accepted universal standards like USB. When I bought my late 2013 iMac 14,2 I already knew it didn't have Firewire anymore. I had to buy one of those Thunderbolt<->Firewire dongles to connect my Firewire external drives. I had bought into the Firewire hype from Apple only to see them abandon it relatively quickly. These days Apple is pretty much compelled to include USB along with whatever other protocol du jour Apple is promoting at the present (Thunderbolt). When my Firewire drives crap out it will be USB going forward. As a home user I’m not too interested in Thunderbolt at this time. Thunderbolt drives are expensive for one thing.
    king editor the gratebaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 34
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Aah yes the good-old days when you could just send Steve freaking Jobs a quick mail from you're gmail account to give him lip about his products, Ballzzzzz
    king editor the gratetallest skilxzuentropys
  • Reply 3 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    Apple shooting itself in the head again.

FireWire was amazing for many reasons, not least QoS. From the first Sawtooth Macs having internal FireWire ports through to iMacs that could act as FireWire repeaters - even when turned off FireWire should have blazed a trail of glory. It was so far ahead of anything else out there it could have laid the foundation for much of what we see today but years earlier. 

It's sad that the main reason if failed was because of Apple itself.

I still remember considering a Sony Lissa after seeing one in an audio store.
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I'm not sure Apple could have done anything to make FireWire more successful. The rest of the PC industry has always been ruled by the lowest common denominator. Even today, the majority of providers (and users) look at USB and say "good enough" I'm still using a Firewire 800 drive connected to a Thunderbolt Display for Time Machine backups. Thunderbolt 1/2 enclosures simply never became commonplace or affordable, USB 2 is a dog, somehow FW800 is hitting that sweet spot. I hope it survives until a 5k display with a proper hub comes along…
    magman1979dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 34
    I'm still using FireWire 800 to connect my 2009 24" iMac to connect to pair of drives (3TB & 4TB WD Red NAS drives) in OWC external cases. They seem to work just fine together and I never have an connection problems. I had thought FireWire was going to be some long-lasting tech, but of course I was wrong. There's almost nothing that's long-lasting in computer tech. I think about 7 or 8 years is tops for anything I can think of and I've been using a home computer since the early 1980's. My OWC drives have eSata, USB2 and FireWire 800. However, going forward, both the computer and drives will remain a set and be relegated to only occasional use. I've gotten really good use out of that computer running 24/7 for all that time. Great service with no regrets whatsoever.
    randominternetpersondysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple’s Firewire debacle is the main reason I’m sticking with accepted universal standards like USB. When I bought my late 2013 iMac 14,2 I already knew it didn't have Firewire anymore. I had to buy one of those Thunderbolt<->Firewire dongles to connect my Firewire external drives. I had bought into the Firewire hype from Apple only to see them abandon it relatively quickly. These days Apple is pretty much compelled to include USB along with whatever other protocol du jour Apple is promoting at the present (Thunderbolt). When my Firewire drives crap out it will be USB going forward. As a home user I’m not too interested in Thunderbolt at this time. Thunderbolt drives are expensive for one thing.
    1) FW was boondoggle compared to USB, but it lasted a long time. We saw many port interfaces and protocols come and go within the lifespan of FW.

2) I wouldn't call Thunderbolt an Apple "protocol du jour." It's a brilliant Intel protocol, that first used mini-Display Port—which was adopted as a VESA standard and which Apple licensed free of charge—because the USB-IF didn't want Intel using TB over USB-A. As I'm sure you know it's now used over USB-C which is a brilliant pairing.
    edited June 2017 magman1979spheric
  • Reply 7 of 34
    FireWire still works beautifully. You just need a $29 adapter for current Macs.
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 34
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Looks like Steve Jobs restructuring the license arrangement was the precursor to Intel dropping support for FireWire which was the final nail in the coffin. Even reducing the fee from $1 down to $0.25 wasn't enough to engineer a revival by getting Intel back on board but seems to indicate the great man knew he had made a mistake. I thought (and still think) that FireWire was/is still a great transport with reasonably robust physical connections and a fast, reliable protocol. The fact that I can still use a Mac with my audio interface & mixing console and have had zero problems in the last 5 years passing audio & control speaks for itself and I for one mourn its passing. In fact the only Mac I have bought since the port was dropped was the mid 2013 MBA I'm typing this reply on! Can't stand using adaptors of any kind so that precludes most of Apples offerings these days... I'll stop there lest I get accused of still hankering after serial/parallel ports and floppy drives! :)
    king editor the gratedysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 9 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    In the video post world Firewire was king for a while.  Eventually the need for speed pushed it aside for things like eSATA and FibreChannel.  The last place I worked, the edit suites were far away from the machine room where the Mac Pros were located.  We used fiber optic KVM+ extenders to get usb, DVI, etc into the rooms.  The extenders even had Firewire 800 on them which worked pretty well.  Client could bring in a drive with footage and the editor could start an ingest right there without having to call the machine room.

I loved Firewire Target Mode on Macs for all sort of things.  That always made die hard Windoze people facepalm a bit. Nothing like it in their world.
    dysamoriafastasleepchasmbaconstang
  • Reply 10 of 34
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    lkrupp said:
    Not an exact FW comparison but l recently transferred 11,000 pictures from my iMac to both a wired external Thundebolt 1 hard drive and a wired Network Attached Disk. The TB1 took something like a minute or two whilst copying the same pictures to my NAD took all night. Thunderbolt is certainly fast for large data transfers.
    magman1979dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'm not sure Apple could have done anything to make FireWire more successful. The rest of the PC industry has always been ruled by the lowest common denominator. Even today, the majority of providers (and users) look at USB and say "good enough" I'm still using a Firewire 800 drive connected to a Thunderbolt Display for Time Machine backups. Thunderbolt 1/2 enclosures simply never became commonplace or affordable, USB 2 is a dog, somehow FW800 is hitting that sweet spot. I hope it survives until a 5k display with a proper hub comes along…

I remember all of this pretty well. When Steve came back, Apple was still a mess, though Amelio  fixed a lot of problems. Steve was looking for income, so he changed the license. Of course that didn't work.

we kept reading about when to expect 1600, and drooled about 3200 and even higher. Sigh, never happened.

its only now, that USB 3 adopted some of the streaming standards from FireWire, that's it's become as effective, and at higher speeds too.
    edited June 2017 dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 34
    glynh said:
    Looks like Steve Jobs restructuring the license arrangement was the precursor to Intel dropping support for FireWire which was the final nail in the coffin. Even reducing the fee from $1 down to $0.25 wasn't enough to engineer a revival by getting Intel back on board but seems to indicate the great man knew he had made a mistake. I thought (and still think) that FireWire was/is still a great transport with reasonably robust physical connections and a fast, reliable protocol. The fact that I can still use a Mac with my audio interface & mixing console and have had zero problems in the last 5 years passing audio & control speaks for itself and I for one mourn its passing. In fact the only Mac I have bought since the port was dropped was the mid 2013 MBA I'm typing this reply on! Can't stand using adaptors of any kind so that precludes most of Apples offerings these days... I'll stop there lest I get accused of still hankering after serial/parallel ports and floppy drives! :)
    At the time, intel made about half the mobos in the industry. That was back in the day when the US was the worlds largest EXPORTER of computers. So with intel making several million mobes a year, that ticked them off.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Is there a typo in this sentence or is it just very convoluted:

"A connector at Apple suggested along the way for the final spec of FireWire 400 that it use a connector similar to the Nintendo Game Boy link cable, that put the parts of the connection most likely to be damaged in the cable, and not in the host computer."
  • Reply 14 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Apple started shipping computers with Thunderbolt in 2011 before it migrated to USB 3.0

This makes it sound like that Apple migrated away from Thunderbolt to USB. But we know that's not the case. USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt now just share the same connection.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Apple started shipping computers with Thunderbolt in 2011 before it migrated to USB 3.0

This makes it sound like that Apple migrated away from Thunderbolt to USB. But we know that's not the case. USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt now just share the same connection.
    That's what they meant; before the new connector.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Is there a typo in this sentence or is it just very convoluted:

"A connector at Apple suggested along the way for the final spec of FireWire 400 that it use a connector similar to the Nintendo Game Boy link cable, that put the parts of the connection most likely to be damaged in the cable, and not in the host computer."
    Nah, missed something along the way. I'll fix it.
  • Reply 17 of 34

USB 3.1 Type-C generations 1 and 2 share the same connector with Thunderbolt. USB 3.0 is still the standard Type A and B. The point is, for a brief, shining moment, there was a TB1-equipped MBP with USB 2.0.
    edited June 2017 Solifastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 34
    And Thunderbolt is headed in the same direction.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Pure Digital Video.  Always seemed at least twice as fast as FW400 vs USB, then FW800 vs USB2, and was able to BOOT!

Still use drives with FW.  Probably used 20-30 drives in my overall history.  And beiieve me, back in the "old days" 2 hours vs 5 hours is a HUGE difference!

Nothing wrong with this really...
    daven
  • Reply 20 of 34
    bdkennedy said:
    And Thunderbolt is headed in the same direction.
    In what direction? Intel is opening up the licensing.