Sling TV updates iPhone & iPad app with Cloud DVR support

Posted:
in iPhone
By way of an app update, Sling TV viewers can now take advantage of the service's Cloud DVR feature on Apple's iPhone and iPad, saving shows for later regardless of whether they're on-demand programs.

Cloud DVR support is a $5 add-on, and records up to 50 hours of video, including shows airing simultaneously. Once that limit is reached Sling will begin deleting the oldest recordings, preferring ones marked as watched, but otherwise save items for as long as a person maintains their subscription.

The feature came to the Apple TV in April, having previously been limited to Amazon, Android and Roku devices.

Sling's core plans start at $20 per month and by default include channels like AMC, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, and/or ESPN, depending on the bundle. Other channels, like most Latino and movie networks, are available only in add-ons costing anywhere between $5 and $15 extra.

The Sling iOS app is a free download, and runs on any device with iOS 9 or later. Apart from Apple platforms, Cloud DVR is now also available on Windows 10 and the AirTV Player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Good 'ol BBC America - Playing American shows I can find on almost any other channel.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Now if they could only update the Mac app that would be great. The damn app crashes about every 10 minutes. I like the service and the price...the apps just suck. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I don't see how Sling TV can compete with YouTube TV if it is available in your area. I pay $35 per month for YouTube TV, get all major local channels, and have had fewer streaming disruptions than I had with DirecTV.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    I wish I could get YouTube TV but its not available in my area...I'd like to at least try it. Thats also whats so nice about these services...you can try them without 2yr contracts and things like that. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ferdchetferdchet Posts: 38member
    Nah. They still make you take all the channels you don't care about, even if they call it an "a la carte" service.