What SHOULD have happened to Microsoft?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think the whole thing is really a travesty. Let us discuss what should have happened.

1) M$ fined punitive damages of 5 Billion dollars.

2) M$ pays actual damages to comepetitors.

3) Microsoft forced to de-integrate explorer from Windows and release code for developers

4) Anti-Trust task force to monitor company and its practices for 5 years.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I think Microsoft's competitors need to stop whining and get on with developing innovative new products that would actually make it worthwhile for people to switch.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    We are already discussing this on another thread. Why start a new one?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    " I think Microsoft's competitors need to stop whining and get on with developing innovative new products that would actually make it worthwhile for people to switch."

I think that MSFT are a horde of rat-fvcking bastards, but I have to agree with Belle's point.

And since there ain't no justice, we'd better get a move on innovating.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Microshaft should have been broken up. I am an economist and Microsoft is right about one thing. The remidies that the states proposed were cumbersome and would have been inefficient for them and the rest of the industry. Having said that, incentives are the key. As long as MS has the ability and incentive to use their monopoly power with Windows and office to crush all other future competition they will.

MS should have been split into Windows, Office, all other software, and then harware.

If that had happened when HP adds Corel to thair machines MS could not threaten higher Windows prices. Or if Apple runs Switch ads MS Windows, couldnt so no Office for you.

Only this type of remidy will help. This may be over. But give it another couple years and we will be back in court.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    We all know M$ will win eventually. This is out of our control anyway. Let our lifes go on as usual.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Let's keep this in the other thread. No sense having more than one going...

Click <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=002960"; target="_blank">here</a>.

You can repost your suggestions into that thread.