YouTube TV comes to 10 more US markets like Atlanta, Houston & Miami

Posted:
in iPhone
YouTube TV -- Google's recently-launched live streaming service -- will soon expand to 10 more U.S. urban markets, the company announced this week.

The new regions include Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Houston, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne, Phoenix, and finally Washington, D.C. The expansion will happen in "a couple of weeks," according to Google.

Currently YouTube TV is available in just five markets: Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, and the San Francisco Bay Area. The base package costs $35 per month, and focuses mainly on the four major broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC -- along with related channels.

Notably missing are Turner and Viacom channels such as BET, CNN, the Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, and Nickelodeon. Add-ons are available for Showtime and Fox Soccer Plus though, and by default the service provides access to original content from YouTube Red. Another selling point is a built-in cloud DVR, which only deletes recordings after 9 months.

Aside from the Web, YouTube TV can be viewed on iPhones and iPads running iOS 9.1 or later, plus Android devices and Chromecasts. There is no native Apple TV app, but the set-top is indirectly supported by way of AirPlay.

New subscribers can try the service free for the first month. A free Chromecast becomes available after the second month is paid for.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, I am to pay Google $35/month to watch publicly broadcast stations I can get for free?   Really?   Wow!  I'm going to jump on that!
    tallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm just confused what benefit this is supposed to have over existing services. "The benefit is that we get to know what you're doing absolutely everywhere at all times!" Oh, thanks, Google.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm delighted to report that I never have and never will get cable or satellite TV. Over the air, plus occasional Internet program watching has saved me countless thousands of dollars.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    I'm delighted to report that I never have and never will get cable or satellite TV. Over the air, plus occasional Internet program watching has saved me countless thousands of dollars.
    I'm quite happy to do the same. I don't feel at all like I'm "missing out"...
    except when a new season of GoT starts. ;)
    A one-moth HBO subscription after the season ends takes care of that. Remember patience grasshopper.... 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jawestonjaweston Posts: 18member
    So, I am to pay Google $35/month to watch publicly broadcast stations I can get for free?   Really?   Wow!  I'm going to jump on that!
    Some of us live in areas (like San Francisco) where all over-the-air channels are not available in satisfactorily viewable form due to surrounding hills, mountains, etc.

Also, $35 per month is a lot cheaper price to pay to get a very good if not excellent assortment of cable channels compared to other options.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I got rid of cable over 25 years ago.
    25 years x 12mo/yr x $75/mo = $22,500

I get a free car!
    palomine
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jaweston said:
    Some of us live in areas (like San Francisco) where all over-the-air channels are not available in satisfactorily viewable form due to surrounding hills, mountains, etc.

Also, $35 per month is a lot cheaper price to pay to get a very good if not excellent assortment of cable channels compared to other options.
    I live in Pittsburgh where the hills are just as steep -- probably steeper.   No problem.  No problem at all -- particularly now that we have HD broadcasts.  I used to get snow and interference.  Now I get a cable like perfect picture -- for free.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jawestonjaweston Posts: 18member
    jaweston said:

I live in Pittsburgh where the hills are just as steep -- probably steeper.   No problem.  No problem at all -- particularly now that we have HD broadcasts.  I used to get snow and interference.  Now I get a cable like perfect picture -- for free.
    Maybe you don't live downtown near tall office buildings.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    GeorgeBMac said
    I got rid of cable over 25 years ago.
    25 years x 12mo/yr x $75/mo = $22,500

I get a free car!
    But think of all the Home Shopping you've missed out on, including a chance to join the world of computing with a Timex Sinclair. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Another privacy giveaway and now you pay for this privilege.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    foggyhill said:
    Another privacy giveaway and now you pay for this privilege.
    It should come as zero surprise to any regular reader here that your cable company and/or TV programming provider probably tracks what you watch. What might be surprising is how far they've come with it. Here's just one example, but a biggie:

NBC, one of the old-guard broadcasters has over the years morphed into a media behemoth, now called NBCUniversal and become very hi-tech when it comes to understanding and tracking their users. Using the company's Comcast routers/cable boxes they can see from minute to minute what your family is watching on TV. But that's childsplay. 

Now use other 1st party personal information they have and it's a becoming a more revealing picture. Remember the forms you had to fill out for cable/internet service and the notice that consumer credit agencies would be involved in checking your payment background? Yup they know exactly who you are and where you live, and what rooms have cable service, which ones you have TV service in, and what rooms are actively viewing.  And yup they have background financial information on you too from that credit check you authorized them to do. So now they're getting a pretty detailed image of you and your family. (BTW, ever see one of those "are you still watching" popups on the TV? That's not for your benefit. It's to better identify the active programing viewers as separate from just having the TV on)

They have also stated they make use of some 3rd party information for your portfolio. That means getting more information about you both from clients and from data brokers, companies whose entire business is built around acquiring and selling identifiable data about you, your children, your extended family, your workplace, your family's education, your income, your religious affiliation if any, your online friends, and a heckuva lot more. This linked article is so worthy of a read if you have the least concern about "what they know" and the state of your "privacy" which is an unrecognized misnomer:
    https://qz.com/213900/the-nine-companies-that-know-more-about-you-than-google-or-facebook/

NBCUniversal also uses their own online media assets such as Vox, Buzzfeed, and others to maintain cookies and beacons on your computer to keep track of web travels, then go on to add in information gleaned from partner platforms like Snapchat and yes even Apple News https://www.recode.net/2016/11/7/13547014/apple-news-nbcuniversal-sales and package it up in both their  ATP program and NBCU+ Powered by Comcast platform for their advertisers  

The silliness that somehow we've "protected our privacy" if we use an ad blocker should be plain. It doesn't prevent data brokers like Experion from acquiring/buying and reselling our personal and financial information outright to various purchasers such as NBCUniversal as I've discussed, or the sharing and selling of your personally identifiable information between insurers and service providers and employers and tax agents and credit bureaus and retailers and suppliers and repair facilities and eCommerce vendors and banks and credit card companies and licensing agencies and....

You're welcome. 
    edited June 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I'm just confused what benefit this is supposed to have over existing services. "The benefit is that we get to know what you're doing absolutely everywhere at all times!" Oh, thanks, Google.
    Fine. Share this same sentiment with all the other companies that are rolling out competing live TV services such as Plex, Sling, DirecTV and Hulu. It is incredible ... just because Google competes with Apple with Android - which Google began developing in like 2004, years before the iPhone was introduced - Apple fans are just reflexively all anti-Google all the time, even in areas where Apple doesn't have a competing product. The fact that Google's existence kept Microsoft from becoming an even bigger and more powerful monopoly? Eh, because Android's existence causes maybe 50 million people to buy Samsung Galaxy devices (and maybe 5-10 million people to buy whatever premium devices LG, HTC, Pixel and Motorola tries to push on people) instead of iPhones when Apple sells more iPhones than that every single quarter, that is enough to turn folks into foaming at the mouth anti-Googlers? Tell you what ... imagine if Samsung were making Windows phones and tablets instead. And imagine if everyone was using the IE browser instead of the Chrome browser. (Except IE is not available on non-Microsoft platforms like macOS, iOS and Linux the way that Chrome is.) Or if Bing was the #1 search/ads/data company instead of Google. And so on. That would be a MUCH better world for Apple than the one that exists now wouldn't it?

You can keep deluding yourself. In a world where Microsoft is going what Google is doing now - and that is in addition to being the #1 PC OS and the #1 enterprise software and services company on the planet and the #1 gaming company on the planet ... yes when you combine the XBox with the PC gaming platforms like Steam it crushes Nintendo and Playstation and even outperforms iOS and Android - the rest of the industry's only hope (and yes this includes Apple) would be for the anti-trust regulators to step in and break them up. Again.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    Fine. Share this same sentiment with all the other companies that are rolling out competing live TV services such as Plex, Sling, DirecTV and Hulu. It is incredible ... just because Google competes with Apple with Android - which Google began developing in like 2004, years before the iPhone was introduced - Apple fans are just reflexively all anti-Google all the time, even in areas where Apple doesn't have a competing product. The fact that Google's existence kept Microsoft from becoming an even bigger and more powerful monopoly? Eh, because Android's existence causes maybe 50 million people to buy Samsung Galaxy devices (and maybe 5-10 million people to buy whatever premium devices LG, HTC, Pixel and Motorola tries to push on people) instead of iPhones when Apple sells more iPhones than that every single quarter, that is enough to turn folks into foaming at the mouth anti-Googlers? Tell you what ... imagine if Samsung were making Windows phones and tablets instead. And imagine if everyone was using the IE browser instead of the Chrome browser. (Except IE is not available on non-Microsoft platforms like macOS, iOS and Linux the way that Chrome is.) Or if Bing was the #1 search/ads/data company instead of Google. And so on. That would be a MUCH better world for Apple than the one that exists now wouldn't it?

You can keep deluding yourself. In a world where Microsoft is going what Google is doing now - and that is in addition to being the #1 PC OS and the #1 enterprise software and services company on the planet and the #1 gaming company on the planet ... yes when you combine the XBox with the PC gaming platforms like Steam it crushes Nintendo and Playstation and even outperforms iOS and Android - the rest of the industry's only hope (and yes this includes Apple) would be for the anti-trust regulators to step in and break them up. Again.
    Google is a poorly run, undisciplined and opportunistic company as bad if not worse than Microsoft in their philosophy. 

And Google didn't save the planet from a Microsoft hegemony, Apple did. If it weren't for the iPod leading to eventual development of the iPhone and iOS we would all still be dealing with Windows. Did you even care to take a look at what Google thought a mobile os would look like? Even they knew it would fail. It's why they chose to rip off iOS. 

Samsung saved Google's Android. And then Google returns the favor by dictating to Samsung the terms of continuing to license Android and the play store. They ensure that Samsung's mobile device profits remain pressured while they take all of the profits on the software side. Well, that is ending. Samsung is moving all of its mobile platforms over to Tizen. Tizen has just displaced Android wear as the number two platform in wearables. That trend is only going to accelerate. No one else other than Apple is as capable as Samsung in hardware. Samsung controls a number of critical technologies and cutting them off to the other manufacturers. The Gear S3 watches with LTE as vastly superior to ANY Android wear watch. Samsung pay is far more widely available also. 

I like Samsung. I like Apple. Google is a terrible company. In fact, Google is going to be receiving some massive fines by the EU and will be forced to change the way they do business. So much for them being better than Microsoft. In many ways they are actually worse. Especially these days. 
    patchythepirate