New Apple Park drone footage shows more landscaping, lights on in Steve Jobs Theater

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
A newly-published video shows that while construction and landscaping work is at an advanced stage at Apple Park, it remains underway, particularly at some satellite buildings including the Steve Jobs Theater.

Sunset drone footage by Duncan Sinfield offers a glimpse at the entrance to the Theater with its lights on. Construction equipment still sits around and inside -- the Theater itself is located underground, and will eventually be able to hold 1,000 people once finished.

Since video released at the beginning of the month, landscaping has expanded further, particularly in the courtyard space within the main ring. Work on planting trees and other vegetation will likely extend past when offices are completed.

Other shots in the video show in the inside of the main ring's atrium, and associated buildings on the opposite side of the street, where construction is not only unfinished but still employing cranes -- equipment that has long vanished from the ring structure.

Apple staff have been gradually moving into Apple Park during the past few months. The transition is likely to continue for some time, at some point bringing executives like CEO Tim Cook over from 1 Infinite Loop. The complex will ultimately play home to some 12,000 workers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    There are lots of reasons to like Duncan's video footage of Apple Park, but one of things that he does—that no one else can seem to do—is label with a proper month. Since this is the last weekend before July I guarantee you we'll see other YouTube videos appear that say "July 2017" when it's still June.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The auditorium’s plan is neat. Ramps leading up to the product showcase area lets them be hit by tons of natural light. To me, that gives the post-show display a more personal connection. Rather than them being in a windowless underground venue with perfectly presented lighting, It’s more a ‘real world use’ thing.

Though I wonder about the noise with a thousand people in there… Glass all around (pretty amazing design) and I’d guess thin carpeting above concrete means the ceiling would be the only place for soundproofing.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    The auditorium is underground. See this photo posted by drone videographer Duncan Sinfield.

There is no natural lighting in the auditorium. The circular building visible in the drone footage is the ground level lobby/foyer, sort of like the NYC 5th Avenue "Cube" lobby, but with no light going below.

It is unlikely that the auditorium foyer will have carpet. That would be very un-Steve-like.
    edited June 2017 Solibb-15
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mpantone said:
    The auditorium is underground. See this photo posted by drone videographer Duncan Sinfield.

There is no natural lighting in the auditorium. The circular building visible in the drone footage is the ground level lobby/foyer, sort of like the NYC 5th Avenue "Cube" lobby, but with no light going below.

It is unlikely that the auditorium foyer will have carpet. That would be very un-Steve-like.
    1) Thanks for linking a pic of the theater before it was roofed.

2) If your comment is a reply to Tallest SkilI believe his statement is referring to the lobby of the auditorium and a presumption that when people leave a presentation there will be display of the upcoming products. I never really thought about it, but they probably would want to showcase the physical products, some under glass and others as hands-on demos, like they have in years past. Natural lighting from between noon and 1pm sounds like a great time for the products to be showcased in that lobby.
    edited June 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    To me it just looks really small and cramped, but I'm sure it looks different in person. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    This guy won't be flying much longer, once security enable their drone capturing tech! 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    sergioz said:
    This guy won't be flying much longer, once security enable their drone capturing tech! 
    Did you see the joke about this at the recent Apple Special Event on 5 June? If all else failed against the drones the final option was for the "Spaceship" to take off. 
    doozydozengregoriusmsergioz
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Waiting for the new iPhones to be introduced in the new Steve Jobs Theatre.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 10
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Looking lovely. I kept waiting for Craig's anti drone eagle to strike 🤣
    doozydozenmagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 10
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I wonder what provisions have been made for light control on the windows of the ring?  If you are cubed up right next to the glass on the west side at 6pm it's gonna be really bright.

I guess you could always put up some aluminum foil.
    edited June 2017