'Can't Stop, Won't Stop: A Bad Boy Story' arrives on Apple Music to poor reviews

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple Music-Exclusive documentary on Bad Boy Records --"Can't Stop, Won't Stop" has been released, but early reception to the film appears to be not good.

The film is centered around record label Bad Boy's owner Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs, the rise of the label during the '90s, and efforts to put together 20th-anniversary shows in 2016. The documentary includes behind-the-scenes moments and interviews with industry executives, such as now-Apple Music head Jimmy Iovine.

"I went to the [Bad Boy Reunion] concert and thought it was incredible," Iovine told Billboard in April. "I think Puff and Bad Boy's story is incredible and one that a lot of people can relate to in any genre or in any business. His story is powerful. He really overcame a lot to get to where he's at today and the documentary shows that."

Early critical responses to the feature call it "shallow and dull" and "a vanity project strictly for the fans." More positive returns from some critics say that the feature is "intimate and revealing than these sorts of artist-approved self-mythologies usually are." At present, the average rating on Rotten Tomatoes is 2 out of 10, with a 43 percent "Tomatometer."

An advance screening of "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" happened at the TriBeCa Film Festival at the end of April. Apple will hold onto exclusivity of the feature for at least a year.

Apple may have up to 10 original shows and documentaries planned for 2017 according to recent reports. Known to be in production are "Carpool Karaoke," "Planet of the Apps," and documentaries about Clive Davis and Cash Money Records.

The film is available to Apple Music subscribers now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    LOL

what did they expect? 

Its a movie about old, irrelevant has-beens trying to be cool with immmature phrases as the title. Even the poster image...seriously? It looks comical for something supposed to be serious and cool. 

Aint nobody got time fo' dat!

the whole Beats deal feels more like a swindle with every project. 

Question: What did Apple get out of that?

Answer: Some old guys.  

Meanwhile those old old guys are getting Apples resources to accomplish their same old failed ideas. It's only when Apple went back to their tried and true simplicity and clean style that Apple Music turned around. Headphones? Apples own are better. They could have had Bose if that's what they wanted. 

Instead they got Lovine - who's pretty much just a jive talker and maniplulator, and Andre Young - who's a has-been, but still given respect by his fans. 

The whole thing seems so one-sided. Apple gets nothing and these guys get a windfall. 

Hopefully we never see see a multi billion dollar deal like that again. 
    edited June 2017 jeffharrisstevenozhodar
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I'm not interested in music documentaries or this self centered "planet of the apps" cr@p but Ai, AR, autonomous driving and Apple itself! Yeah, I'm sorry for my self centered and monopolistic opinion. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 3 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,290member
    Nothing that Apple has done so far in the area of original video content has interested me, but I assumed that maybe I'm just not the relevant demographic. 

This doesn't disprove that I'm an irrelevant demographic, but it certainly doesn't sound like they're doing a great job of hitting whatever demographic they're going after. 

For my eyeball time, Netflix is doing a very good job. 
    hodar
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    blastdoor said:
    Nothing that Apple has done so far in the area of original video content has interested me, but I assumed that maybe I'm just not the relevant demographic. 

This doesn't disprove that I'm an irrelevant demographic, but it certainly doesn't sound like they're doing a great job of hitting whatever demographic they're going after. 

For my eyeball time, Netflix is doing a very good job. 
    Indeed, it doesn't disprove you're an irrelevant demographic, but if the relevant demographic don't like it either, then we have something of a problem. 
  • Reply 5 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    %43 on Rotten Tomatoes is about average. Had this been released by Netflix or another company the headline would have read "arrives to average reviews".

A lot of fan favorite movies are in the sub %50's and the real crap is usually below %20. Some films as low as %9 and %0. Suicide Squad for example is at %25 though it was praised by the people. 

LOL

what did they expect? 

Its a movie about old, irrelevant has-beens trying to be cool with immmature phrases as the title. Even the poster image...seriously? It looks comical for something supposed to be serious and cool. 

Meanwhile those old old guys are getting Apples resources to accomplish their same old failed ideas. It's only when Apple went back to their tried and true simplicity and clean style that Apple Music turned around. Headphones? Apples own are better. They could have had Bose if that's what they wanted. 

Instead they got Lovine - who's pretty much just a jive talker and maniplulator, and Andre Young - who's a has-been, but still given respect by his fans. 

The whole thing seems so one-sided. Apple gets nothing and these guys get a windfall. 

Diddy wasn't part of the Beats deal.... *facepalm*.

and BOSE? Seriously? That's about the worst company they could have purchased. WHERE exactly would Bose have gotten them?

Dr. Dre will be a has-been when his headphones stop selling and his artists are no longer on the radio.

the billions they "wasted" has already been returned by Beats products. That argument died long ago. 
    randominternetpersonjony0adhirdementuschikan
  • Reply 6 of 16
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    cali said:
    and BOSE? Seriously? That's about the worst company they could have purchased. WHERE exactly would Bose have gotten them?

Dr. Dre will be a has-been when his headphones stop selling and his artists are no longer on the radio.

the billions they "wasted" has already been returned by Beats products. That argument died long ago. 

What would have Bose got them?  Ummm, perhaps the #1 position in Noise Cancelation headsets and a trunk-full of patents applying to the same.  World-class headphones, that have a warranty that extends longer than Beats, and a support that is going out beyond 10 years.  Just a data-point, my 12 year old Quietcomforts (first ones) were having the leather pads looking pretty ratty, from many flights I take for work.  I was able to swing into a Bose kiosk in Fort Worth, TX and for $15 my headphones were disassembled, cleaned and fresh leather pads were put on.

When Apple supports components to replace Beats headphone pads (which WILL wear out), after 10+ years - let me know.

As-is; the place where I see the most common use of headphones, is sitting in coach in an aircraft.  I will typically see ~10% of the passengers employing some set of headphones.  I see this more often, than I see headphones used anywhere else.  Perhaps my "use case" is not typical - but without noise cancelation; I simply am not interested.  I'm just waiting to jump on the QuietComfort 35 phones, and at $350 that is a chunk of change, that Apple intentionally disqualified themselves from the short list of consideration.  Now if Bose made a QuietComfort 35A that used the W1 chip - I would pay an extra $50 for that.  And I sincerely doubt that I am the only one.

At the price point Beats commands, they are neither the best sounding, nor the best constructed for the money.

• Reply 7 of 16
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    I'm a fan of most things Apple, but their foray into original content seems a complete disaster so far.  A show centered around a narcissistic, self aggrandizing, annoying person is quite baffling.  I'd like to know who precisely is coming up with these ideas. Not a good start at all Apple.
    stevenoz
  • Reply 8 of 16
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    hodar said:
    cali said:

What would have Bose got them?  Ummm, perhaps the #1 position in Noise Cancelation headsets and a trunk-full of patents applying to the same.  World-class headphones, that have a warranty that extends longer than Beats, and a support that is going out beyond 10 years.  Just a data-point, my 12 year old Quietcomforts (first ones) were having the leather pads looking pretty ratty, from many flights I take for work.  I was able to swing into a Bose kiosk in Fort Worth, TX and for $15 my headphones were disassembled, cleaned and fresh leather pads were put on.

When Apple supports components to replace Beats headphone pads (which WILL wear out), after 10+ years - let me know.

As-is; the place where I see the most common use of headphones, is sitting in coach in an aircraft.  I will typically see ~10% of the passengers employing some set of headphones.  I see this more often, than I see headphones used anywhere else.  Perhaps my "use case" is not typical - but without noise cancelation; I simply am not interested.  I'm just waiting to jump on the QuietComfort 35 phones, and at $350 that is a chunk of change, that Apple intentionally disqualified themselves from the short list of consideration.  Now if Bose made a QuietComfort 35A that used the W1 chip - I would pay an extra $50 for that.  And I sincerely doubt that I am the only one.

At the price point Beats commands, they are neither the best sounding, nor the best constructed for the money.

I see more youth wearing Beats headphones than I do wearing Bose so apparently, Apple did something right. Plus as far as I know, Bose does not have a music streaming service and you better believe that was one of the main things Apple was interested in when picking up Beats.
    randominternetpersondementuschikan
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cali said:
    %43 on Rotten Tomatoes is about average. Had this been released by Netflix or another company the headline would have read "arrives to average reviews".
    Nope.

Had the headline about a Netflix piece scoring the same been written by me, like this one was, the headline would STILL say what it says.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 10 of 16
    muadibe said:
    I'm a fan of most things Apple, but their foray into original content seems a complete disaster so far.  A show centered around a narcissistic, self aggrandizing, annoying person is quite baffling.  I'd like to know who precisely is coming up with these ideas. Not a good start at all Apple.

"Disaster" is overstated.  Apple hasn't bet the farm on this.  They are dipping their toes in original content, so they will learn from successes and failures.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    JinTech said:
    hodar said:
    cali said:

I see more youth wearing Beats headphones than I do wearing Bose so apparently, Apple did something right. Plus as far as I know, Bose does not have a music streaming service and you better believe that was one of the main things Apple was interested in when picking up Beats.

Agreed.  I don't think "but what about the market for middle-aged business travelers?" was a concern raised during the Apple-Beats negotiation.

I agree with hodar that Bose is more like the "Apple of the headphone and home audio biz" than is Beats, but so what?  The Beats acquisition (that was reportedly proposed by the Beats guys rather than Apple) was not really about picking up a line of headphones.  It didn't hurt the deal that it's a very profitable line of headphones, but if that's all it was it never would have happened.

• Reply 12 of 16
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Please stop.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    cali said:

A lot of fan favorite movies are in the sub %50's and the real crap is usually below %20. Some films as low as %9 and %0. Suicide Squad for example is at %25 though it was praised by the people. 

LOL

what did they expect? 

Never said Sean combs was part of the beats deal. Read a bit better. 

But this movie came about bevause of lovine. 

*facepalm*

and wasted is what happens when you divide your sales with another similar product. 

As as far as Bose... you're joking right? For your own sake, the answer should be yes. 

• Reply 14 of 16
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    Beats acquisition was primarily about the music service. The old guys were just part of the deal.
    LOL

what did they expect? 

• Reply 15 of 16
    cali said:

LOL

what did they expect? 

The movie is rated "fresh" on the Tomatometer only if it is 60% or more. 43% means it is rated "rotten", so to surmise it as "poorly reviewed" is fair.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jamskjamsk Posts: 4member
    Had Bose headphones. Bought some Beats headphones. Then I bought another pair of Bose. Beats is trendy, Bose is better.