New Token Ring uses fingerprint reader, Bluetooth to securely authenticate wearer

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new ring called Token embeds Bluetooth and a fingerprint reader, and promises to enhance biometric authentication with compatibility across a large array of existing technologies.

Prior to wearing the Token ring, users authenticate with a fingerprint scan on a sensor on the inside of the ring. Once the ring is removed, then the authentication expires until re-scanned.

As demonstrated to Mashable, Token founder Steve Shapiro unlocked his MacBook with authenticated NFC communication when he knocked on the table near the computer. The functionality mirrors that of the Apple Watch feature that does the same thing with close proximity of the two devices.

"We wanted to build something that makes you more secure, but we've realized that most consumers won't do anything if it makes their lives more inconvenient," Token cofounder and CEO Melanie Shapiro told Mashable while demonstrating the product. "We're offering a two-factor authentication process that's easier than some already ingrained behaviors, like pulling out your credit card."

The company has also made its own line of door locks to supplement the technology. as well as a security pad for access control.

Token has partnered with physical authentication company HID, the FIDO alliance, Microsoft, MasterCard, and Visa. As it stands at present, the Token works to authenticate public transportation access in 40 systems around the world, with 20 more coming in 2018.

The ring is waterproof up to 50 meters, and a single charge will last about 14 days. There is no subscription fee to use the ring, nor is any information about the user sent to Token servers.

The Token ring in brushed silver will retail for $249 when it ships in late 2017. Deadbolts from the company are an additional $100.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple Ring...coming 2018!
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Hey, 1990 called and wants it tokens back.

For those who are not old enough, back in the day there were two competing network types. Ethernet and Token-ring. The latter was pushed by IBM. The former (originally developed by Xerox, Intel and Dec) won out.
    pscooter63jbdragonSpamSandwichdysamoriatycho_macuser
  • Reply 3 of 25
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Definitely seems less convenient than the Apple Watch, does less, costs the same.  I'm not sure what the point of this is. 
    jbdragonlolliverdysamoriawatto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 4 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Ridiculous. [shakes head]
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

For those who are not old enough, back in the day there were two competing network types. Ethernet and Token-ring. The latter was pushed by IBM. The former (originally developed by Xerox, Intel and Dec) won out.
    I used to build token-ring cables when we migrated to (back then) the new IBM AS/400 in our corporate data center.  Damn, those cables were massive and a pain in the backside to construct.  Sometimes, I wonder what IBM was smoking when they came up with that setup.
    Solidysamoria[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 25
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    "...knocked on the table near the computer."

Wait, this is dependent upon an internal accelerometer?  

From a usability standpoint, if my arms are filled with heavy packages, and I need to unlock the deadbolt, how is this a substantive improvement over the status quo?
    jbdragondysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 25
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    April 1st has been & gone this year right? :)
    jbdragonlolliverdysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    macxpress said:
    Why? It's dumb and pointless. This isn't even a new idea as they've had these things in the past. I'm sure not a ring person and would never wear one of these. People who do, why would this be their choice? It does a tiny fraction of what my Apple Watch already does. It's beyond redundant.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    If it were a tenth the price and a tenth the volume I would consider it.
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 10 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Seems a bit clumsy and burdensome for users, TBH.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    2 factor authentication = Good

But this thing is DOA, I like the ring idea but for $50 and a battery that lasts a year. Every year it should be replaced anyways...

YubiKey is more practical.

• Reply 12 of 25
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    Speaking of being married to your tech....
    fastasleepSoliviclauyycpscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 13 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I'm interested in upgrading my twenty eight point eight kilobaud internet connection to a one point five megabit fibre-optic T-1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatable with my token ring ethernet LAN configuration?”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    jbdragon said:
    macxpress said:
    Why? It's dumb and pointless. This isn't even a new idea as they've had these things in the past. I'm sure not a ring person and would never wear one of these. People who do, why would this be their choice? It does a tiny fraction of what my Apple Watch already does. It's beyond redundant.
    Sighs...I guess I should have put /s on the end. I would have thought everyone would have picked up on that but I guess not. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Personally, I would rather have a Tolkien Ring... "One Ring To Rule Them All " 😀
    slprescottdysamoriawatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Siri-activated with AppleTalk?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 25
    sunman42 said:
    Speaking of being married to your tech….
     +1 👍
  • Reply 18 of 25

sflocal said:

I used to build token-ring cables when we migrated to (back then) the new IBM AS/400 in our corporate data center.  Damn, those cables were massive and a pain in the backside to construct.  Sometimes, I wonder what IBM was smoking when they came up with that setup.
    I was helping out IBM in the 21st century and they were still using them, along AS/400s and what I think were numerous TB5250 emulators for Windows and OS/2. I guess they were getting their money out of it, but I can't say that monitoring servers and routers across the globe was without problems with those emulators.
    edited June 2017 dysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 25
    williamh said:
    Definitely seems less convenient than the Apple Watch, does less, costs the same.  I'm not sure what the point of this is. 
    Sure, but sometimes things that do one thing are a good thing.

Then you have people who don't have acceptable fingerprints for Touch ID or none at all, and while TokenRing wouldn't solve that issue since it has a fingerprint reader inside, I can see a ring being a good way for someone to get extra security to their device without having to use a fingerprint reader or pay for an Apple Watch which they may find to be too complex, to excessive for their singular need, or just don't like the feel of a watch on their wrist. I could even see this being used with NFC, perhaps even passive so there's no battery that would need replacing (if Apple ever opens up their NFC to developers).

Or, not for security at all. I'm just glad to see wearable CE grow and the size of components shrink. Personally, I'd like to see CE move into devices that are subcutaneous, that you can swallow, or pretty much anything else that can help monitor a person's vitals or help them improve in a task. I don't see it as effectively being any different than a hearing aid or reading glasses in that regard.
    edited June 2017 lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Siri-activated with AppleTalk?
    Talk to the hand.  
    watto_cobrapscooter63