Apple marketing chief discusses 'unbelievable' response to ARKit, HomePod, more in intervi...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple vice president of worldwide iPod, iPhone, and iOS product marketing Greg Joswiak says developer response to the company's new ARKit tools is "unbelievable," suggesting consumers will have plenty of augmented reality app to browse through when iOS 11 launches this fall.

Apple marketing lead Greg Joswiak presents iPhone SE at a special event in 2016.

Greg Joswiak touched on ARKit, the upcoming HomePod speaker and machine learning in an interview with The Australian on Thursday. In particular, developers are showing healthy interest in coding AR apps for iOS, the platform that will serve as Apple's launching pad into the cutting edge technology.

"They've built everything from virtual tape measures (to) ballerinas made out of wood dancing on floors," Joswiak said. "It's absolutely incredible what people are doing in so little time."

The executive was likely referring to an ARKit demo app called AR Measure that went viral earlier this week thanks to Twitter and other social media sites.

A simple idea that is incredibly difficult to accomplish using standard 2D cameras, AR Measure lays down a virtual tape measure in real space. ARKit simplifies the coding process by tapping into iPhone's sensor suite and handling complex real-time spacial awareness algorithms.

Joswiak also name checked Ikea, which is building a shopping app that uses ARKit tools to superimpose furniture in a customer's room. In the commercial sector, Joswiak sees AR apps evolving for shopping, furniture placement, education, training and services.

"I think there is a gigantic runway that we have here with the iPhone and the iPad. The fact we have a billion of these devices out there is quite an opportunity for developers," he said. "Who knows the kind of things coming down the road, but whatever those things are, we're going to start at zero."

As for HomePod, Joswiak said he expects third-party smart home device manufacturers to launch "plenty" of HomeKit compatible products in the Australian market before the speaker ships in December. Currently, the selection is a bit sparse compared to Apple's domestic market. HomeKit control is a tentpole feature for HomePod, which will launch as Apple's first in-home Siri product.

Finally, Joswiak touched on machine learning, saying Apple was using the technology to better customer experiences long before it became a Silicon Valley buzzword.

"We've been implementing machine learning in our products long before it was fashionable to call it machine learning," he said.

For example, the soft keyboard on the original iPhone would automatically modify button touch zones depending on how a user typed. More recently, the company has applied similar machine learning assets to power autocorrect and word recommendation features. Apple is taking the tech a step further with iOS 11 by powering features like handwriting recognition for iPads, he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That shirt is frightening.
    stantheman
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Looks like some minimalist monochromatic paisley, for those old enough to remember what that is.

As for ARKit, I would not be surprised that if there is indeed a 10th anniversary edition iPhone, it might have some unique hardware (3D IR scanner?) that will take particular advantage of this in a way that could have a deep impact and make a significant change, not quite like the first iPhone but possibly a game changer. And as usual, competitors will pan it as they rush out to come up with their knockoffs.
    edited June 2017 lollivercali
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Tango who?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I like the idea of a virtual tape measure but I still want to have an app you can hold up to some notice or sign in a foreign language and it translates it for you in real time. I've never thought much about augmented reality, so I don't know what kind of tricks it can do to be useful but it definitely seems exciting. Apple should have some advantage as the last couple of generations of iPhones should be powerful enough to run AR apps. Maybe AR will give new life to an updated iPod Touch.

Most Android smartphones will be relatively underpowered and rarely get OS updates, so Alphabet might have a hard time getting their AR apps to work on those myriad older Android smartphones. Thank goodness for Apple's 64-bit A-series processors being as powerful as they are and Apple's frequent OS updates for older devices. I'm anxious to see what the killer AR app will be. I can't even imagine.
    edited June 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Most Android smartphones will be relatively underpowered and rarely get OS updates, so Alphabet might have a hard time getting their AR apps to work on those myriad older Android smartphones. Thank goodness for Apple's 64-bit A-series processors being as powerful as they are and Apple's frequent OS updates for older devices. I'm anxious to see what the killer AR app will be. I can't even imagine.
    I can just see Google announcing some kind of hashed out ARKit knock off when they announce their new line of Pixel smartphones with them saying "and only available for the latest Pixel phones!" thus alienating almost the entire Android base.
    lollivercaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Very excited about HomePod - but a six month wait seems excessive especially for Apple. Not sure sure why they felt compelled to announce it so far in advance. I expect a flood of cheap knock-offs and me-toos will hit the market before or concurrent with its release. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    I like the idea of a virtual tape measure but I still want to have an app you can hold up to some notice or sign in a foreign language and it translates it for you in real time.
    That's the Google Translate app. You could find it on the App Store for the last 3 years. It was previously called Word Lens.
    lukei
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pentaepentae Posts: 36member
    I wonder how many buyers of the ARKit just wanted a faster GPU after being denied one for the last decade from Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I like the idea of a virtual tape measure but I still want to have an app you can hold up to some notice or sign in a foreign language and it translates it for you in real time.  
    As Bartfat said, the Google Translate app has done this for years and works pretty well. I've used it (and the original Word Lens app) in Holland, Germany, France and Spain over the years when in shops or when looking through restaurant menus etc. The translations can be a tad sketchy (a bit engrish) sometimes but you get the gist and it's instant.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 10 of 16
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    pentae said:
    I wonder how many buyers of the ARKit just wanted a faster GPU after being denied one for the last decade from Apple.
    Who's paying for ARKit? It's free. And it's also a mobile development platform. Apple may have been stubborn to support the latest GPUs on desktop but they are leading edge in the mobile world.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    "They've built everything from virtual tape measures (to) ballerinas made out of wood dancing on floors," Joswiak said. "It's absolutely incredible what people are doing in so little time."

The executive was likely referring to an ARKit demo app called AR Measure that went viral earlier this week thanks to Twitter and other social media sites.
    The ballerina might be this one:

That Youtube channel also has the measuring tape on it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW4PVyHZJnfzHZjws9xDQtw/videos

Here's a test of replacing furniture materials:

A car outside:

Apple has a motion tracking example of their own in Maps where it just moves the 3D map relative to the user's movement:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-maps-has-a-hidden-ar-trick-in-ios-11/

The measuring app is an example of something practical. You always have your phone with you but hardly ever a measuring tape so if you buy clothes or shoes and need to know how big something is or even what size you are, you can use the phone. It should be able to measure waist, chest sizes, leg length, head size for hats.

This is useful for online shopping too, people can send foot profiles to get the right shoe sizes. There are scanners for this already but hardly anyone is going to want a dedicated scanner. It can measure packages for shipping costs too, just point the phone at a box and it can determine width/height/length.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    iOS apps already exist that do things like translate foreign language signs into english:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=iphone+translate+foreign+sign&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 16
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ARKit looks like best of breed. I think Apple will have some other device some time to make it work. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    asdasd said:
    ARKit looks like best of breed. I think Apple will have some other device some time to make it work. 
    I can't help but think we will have glasses. I mean I cannot imagine any other device where AR would make the most sense. AR is best if it's right in front of your face and while AR is nice on a phone, it is a bit distracting. Didn't kids fall off cliffs while playing Pokemon Go?
    asdasd
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    dewme said:
     I expect a flood of cheap knock-offs and me-toos will hit the market before or concurrent with its release. 
    The HomePod with 7 tweeters, 6 mics, and 1 A10 chip will be 'difficult' to knock-off.
    edited July 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    If paisley is really coming back, why doesn't someone just make Julia set fractal clothing instead? Looks close enough to your average paisley design while remaining unique.