Apple Watch National Park celebration launches with Messages stickers for participants

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has launched a celebration of America's national parks, with awards and stickers for Messages inspired by national parks for workout rewards.

On July 15, Apple Watch users that complete a walk, run, or wheelchair workout of 3.5 miles will get the award and the stickers. The distance was selected, as the 3.5 miles matches a hike from Old Faithful to Mallard Lake in Yellowstone National Park.

"America's national parks are an inspiration to us at Apple, and we know they are as important to many of our customers as they are to us," said Apple's CEO Tim Cook. "Our goal is to leave the world better than we found it, so this July we're making it easier for anyone to help preserve the beauty of our natural, cultural and historical treasures."

From July 1 through 15, Apple is donating $1 to the National Park Foundation for every purchase made with Apple Pay at any Apple Store or through the Apple Store app in the United States. Proceeds will support the National Park Foundation's mission to help protect and preserve national parks through conservation projects and other initiatives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm glad to see Apple doing this. The National Park's can definitely use more money since they are so underfunded. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    That underfunding will not get any better in the foreseeable future. Already prices of fees and services have or are scheduled to increase, including the non-Senior Annual Pass increasing to $80. It has been six years since the last increases.

But without an additional $11B in funding, the increase in prices and fees in necessary. Without it the strains of Joni Mitchell and visions of Silent Running rave in my head.

I'm also happy to see Apple doing this, though I wish it applied to purchases made at the App Store, in some manner.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 3 of 9
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    macgui said:
    That underfunding will not get any better in the foreseeable future. Already prices of fees and services have or are scheduled to increase, including the non-Senior Annual Pass increasing to $80. It has been six years since the last increases.

But without an additional $11B in funding, the increase in prices and fees in necessary. Without it the strains of Joni Mitchell and visions of Silent Running rave in my head.

I'm also happy to see Apple doing this, though I wish it applied to purchases made at the App Store, in some manner.
    The National Park Service should increase their entrance fees and yearly pass fees. The parks in the USA are so much cheaper compared to Canada and other parks around the world. It's a shame how the parks here have been so neglected with funding. To quote the title of the Ken Burns documentary, The National Parks: Americas Best Idea. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It's great that Apple is doing this - since we have a lunatic in the White House doing everything in his power to destroy the planet!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macgui said:

The National Park Service should increase their entrance fees and yearly pass fees.
    Agreed.  $80 for an Annual Pass is a little ridiculous.  It's nice but seems wasteful on the government's part. If I recall correctly, it's worth it to buy an AP if you plan to make as little as 2 or 3 visits to a National Park in one year (I may be wrong but I think I'm close).  Seriously, I'd be fine with paying $80 every time I went to a National Park.  I costs more to go an amusement park with my family and those mean much less to me than National Parks do.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I think the entrance cost should depend on the amount of days you're there. I think $80 is a bit steep if you're just there for several hours but if you're there for a whole week, $80 is dirt cheap to enjoy our countries most beautiful natural wonders.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    JinTech said:
    I think $80 is a bit steep if you're just there for several hours but if you're there for a whole week, $80 is dirt cheap to enjoy our countries most beautiful natural wonders.
    You're right, $80 for a week is dirt cheap, let alone for a year. If their budget is suffering increase the rates. 

To me this is similar to the problem with the USPS. Last I knew they were still losing money every quarter, sometimes billions of dollars per quarter. It's ridiculous. The cost to send mail rarely goes up and when it does it's a pittance. Meanwhile, just their fuel costs have easily doubled since I was a kid, probably closer to tripled. And I bet all postal employees have gotten raises along the way, etc. The simple solution is to raise the cost of sending mail and they could do it just to the break even point. 

If people/companies start sending less mail then scale back the operation. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    I'm hoping these stickers are motivating Apple Watch owners to get up and move. My wife and I are already signed up for a 10K run on July 15, so we'll add to our collection. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    $80 for an Annual Pass is a little ridiculous.
    I don't think so at all. Just because the NPS is underfunded by the Government doesn't mean the shortfall should fall on the backs of the very people who're supposed to visit it. If it's for the People, it's shouldn't price the People out of attending.

Of course if you just keep the People out, less funding would be necessary. Yeah, that's the ticket.