Apple's 2017 Back to School promo offers wireless Beats with Macs & iPad Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2017
Apple on Wednesday launched its annual Back to School promotions for the U.S and Canada, offering qualified shoppers wireless Beats headphones if they buy a Mac or an iPad Pro. Alternatively, Apple-authorized resellers are offering their own great deals on new Mac purchases for students and non-students alike.

Students, their parents, or educational staff buying a MacBook, iMac, or Mac Pro are eligible to get a free pair of Solo3, Powerbeats3, or BeatsX headphones, on top of existing educational discounts. The offer switches to free BeatsX earbuds in the case of an iPad Pro purchase, but people wanting Solo3 or Powerbeats3 instead can choose to pay the gap.

U.S. educational discounts on Macs can range up to $300, but are capped at $20 on iPad Pros.

All three of the headphone options were announced last fall, and make use of Apple's proprietary W1 chip. The technology enables more reliable connections than some other Bluetooth headphones, while also offering easier pairing with Apple devices -- including automatic pairing across devices using the same Apple ID.

This year's promotions are largely similar to past ones. Notably the company isn't offering AirPods, despite those being priced less than the Solo3 or Powerbeats3. This is presumably due to their scarcity, since months after launch, U.S. shipping times are still running up to six weeks.

Alternative coupon deals with no tax collected in 48 states

Apple authorized resellers are also running back to school promotions, including exclusive coupon discounts on every new Mid 2017 Mac at AppleInsider partner Adorama with the pricing links in our Price Guide and promo code APINSIDER. With combined coupon and instant savings, the discounts range from $70 to $175 off MSRP. And since Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ, many shoppers outside those states can save hundreds more on a new MacBook Pro or iMac.

Those looking for the absolute lowest price available on a Touch Bar MacBook Pro can also take advantage of aggressive discounts of up to $690 off Late 2016 MacBook Pros with and without AppleCare.

2017 13-inch MacBook Pros
13" (2.3GHz 8GB 128GB) Space Gray for $1,229.00 *
($70 off + no tax outside NY & NJ)
13" (2.3GHz 8GB 128GB) Silver for $1,229.00 *
($70 off + no tax outside NY & NJ)
13" Touch Bar (3.1GHz 8GB 256GB) Space Gray for $1,704.00 *
($95 off + no tax outside NY and NJ)
13" Touch Bar (3.1GHz 8GB 256GB) Silver for $1,704.00 *
13" Touch Bar (3.1GHz 8GB 512GB) Space Gray for $1,904.00 *
13" Touch Bar (3.1GHz 8GB 512GB) Silver for $1,904.00 *
(See even more configurations...)

15-inch MacBook Pros
15" (2.8GHz 16GB 256GB Radeon 555) Space Gray for $2,279.00 *
($120 off + no tax outside NY and NJ)
15" (2.8GHz 16GB 256GB Radeon 555) Silver for $2,279.00 *
($120 off + no tax outside NY and NJ)
(Deals on more configurations...)

2017 27-inch iMac 5Ks
27" iMac 5K (3.4GHz 8GB 1TB FUS Radeon 570) for $1,624.00 *
($175 off + no tax outside NY & NJ)
27" iMac 5K (3.4GHz 8GB 2TB FUS Radeon 570) for $1,904.00 *
($95 off + no tax outside NY & NJ)
27" iMac 5K (3.8GHz 8GB 2TB FUS Radeon 580) for $2,204.00 *
($95 off + no tax outside NY & NJ)
* Price with promo code APINSIDER using the instructions below. Prices shown reflect total savings off MSRP. Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY & NJ.
(Dozens more configurations...)

(%) Step by Step Instructions for these Deals at Adorama

1) Make sure you're using a browser with cookies enabled that isn't in private mode.
    2) Click on the price link to the desired configuration from this article or the Adorama price links in our Price Guides. You MUST click through our links in the same shopping session that you use our coupon. If you try to save a link for late, the coupon WON'T WORK. Once you click through a price link, you'll see a price that's higher than advertised (we'll fix that in a moment).
    3) Add the MacBook to your cart anyway, and when you're done shopping, begin the checkout process.
    4) After you enter your shipping information, move to the Payment section during checkout.
    5) Look for a link that says "Do you have a gift card or promo code?" next to the gift icon. Click that to bring up a coupon code field.

6) Enter the coupon code APINSIDER in the field and click apply. The discount should appear under "Promo Savings" above the order total.
    7) That's it. If you live outside NY & NJ Adorama will also not collect sales tax on your order.
    As always, if you have any issues, you can reach out to us at [email protected] and we'll try and help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This article makes me feel like a poor planner. I bought a family member heading off to college this year a new MBP for college and had them wait to see if there would be new ones announced at WWDC before ordering, but I completely forget about the back to school deal which has been offering headphones for free the last year or two. It's now been 5 weeks since the order and 4 weeks since he received the purchase, so I'm SOL. Oh well, live and learn.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    This article makes me feel like a poor planner. I bought a family member heading off to college this year a new MBP for college and had them wait to see if there would be new ones announced at WWDC before ordering, but I completely forget about the back to school deal which has been offering headphones for free the last year or two. It's now been 5 weeks since the order and 4 weeks since he received the purchase, so I'm SOL. Oh well, live and learn.
    Did you buy them 10,000 dongles to go with it? I mean thats what everyone says is required when purchasing a new MacBook Pro after all! /s
  • Reply 3 of 13
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Beats wireless headphones are among the worst reviewed devices on Apple's own website. Was going to get Powerbeats 3 or BeatsX, but they seem to have high failure rates. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    larrya said:
    Beats wireless headphones are among the worst reviewed devices on Apple's own website. Was going to get Powerbeats 3 or BeatsX, but they seem to have high failure rates. 
    I've got a pair of Beats Studio Wireless headphones that I've had since November, and have never had an issue.  Battery lasts 8-10 hours per charge, and they've always just worked.
    ronn
  • Reply 5 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    Did you buy them 10,000 dongles to go with it? I mean thats what everyone says is required when purchasing a new MacBook Pro after all! /s
    I bought Apple's USB-C(m)-to-USB-A(f) for the occasional plugging in some other device and a reversible 64GB flash drive with both USB-C/USB-A. That latter for being able to easily share files between older and newer devices with ease. That should be enough to hold them over during this standard transitional period until USB-C becomes the dominate port interface on new devices within a couple years.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Kids (in particular) shouldn't be unnecessarily using wi-fi products, which are known to damage DNA, and especially when placed so close to the head. What next: hand out free packets of cigarettes with branded products?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    larrya said:
    Not to say the reviewers are wrong, but I've been using Powerbeats3s for several months during some pretty intense gym sessions. No problems so far - fingers crossed.
    ronn
  • Reply 8 of 13
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    Will the code work in India? 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Shit. I bought my new iMac yesterday!! Ugh. Do you think I can weasel a pair of Beats from Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    wozwoz said:
    Kids (in particular) shouldn't be unnecessarily using wi-fi products, which are known to damage DNA, and especially when placed so close to the head. What next: hand out free packets of cigarettes with branded products?
    Please cite the study.  From what I can tell, wifi products are not known to damage DNA especially when placed close to the head.  On the contrary, the studies I read indicated that wifi only had some effect on rodent sperm.  Presumably, but not necessarily, the effect would be seen on humans but I am not sure that's been studied.   If you aren't keeping a lot of sperm you intend to use for reproductive purposes around your head, and you aren't putting headphones on your crotch, you should be ok.

It's also worth mentioning that the Beats headphones are not wifi products - though I'll give you Bluetooth does use 2.4ghz.  Also worth mentioning that an increasing amount of Wifi is not at 2.4ghz, which is what was studied in papers I looked at.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 13
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Shit. I bought my new iMac yesterday!! Ugh. Do you think I can weasel a pair of Beats from Apple?
    Well I've heard in the past you can claim you won't to return it under the 30 day return period and then buy it with the headphones.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    wozwoz said:
    Pure and utter bullshit on your part. As usual when pressed, you won't back up your personal paranoia with any sort of science.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    larrya said:
    Not to say the reviewers are wrong, but I've been using Powerbeats3s for several months during some pretty intense gym sessions. No problems so far - fingers crossed.
    My BIL bought a pair around Christmas time, which did fail -- power button stopped functioning. Apple sent out a new pair, of course.