Apple execs Tim Cook and Eddy Cue rub elbows with media elite at Sun Valley retreat

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue were spotted at the annual Allen & Co retreat in Sun Valley, Idaho, this week, where they will hobnob with industry leaders, political elites and more.

Source: Rob Latour for Shutterstock

Cook has attended the annual conference for six consecutive years after first being invited to take part in the event in 2011. This year marks Cue's fourth appearance at the retreat.

Hosted by investment firm Allen & Co, the Sun Valley conference brings together high-power executives from the technology and media industries, making it a perfect setting for dealmaking. A number of big deals have been brokered at the confab, including Comcast's purchase of NBC Universal, Google's YouTube acquisition, Verizon's purchase of AOL -- and the botched AOL merger with Tim Warner -- and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' purchase of The Washington Post.

What deals Cook and Cue are planning to discuss at Sun Valley are unknown, though Apple has become an active player in the entertainment sector since Sun Valley 2016. Of note, Apple Music now hosts two original shows in "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke," both shows on which Apple serves as a production partner.

As usual, details of the invitation-only conference remain guarded, though the event is known to incorporate a number of outdoors activities, as well as lectures, panels and roundtables discussing topics of the day. Media outlets are traditionally not allowed on Sun Valley resort grounds during the conference.

This year's list of attendees includes legendary investor Warren Buffet, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, LinkedIn cofounder Reid Hoffman, Disney CEO Bob Iger, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, Snap chairman Michael Lynton, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, CBS CEO Les Moonves, Rupert Murdoch, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara, Miramax coufounder Harvey Weinstein and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

Sun Valley began on Tuesday, and is scheduled to run through Saturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Boy, how human this all sounds ...  :/
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dysamoria said:
    Boy, how human this all sounds ...  :/
    I don't get it. Instead they should spend a weekend with the hoi polloi!? Why?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Did Eddy make a deal with the devil? How is he able to remain employed?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Hope they have an UltraFine time lol --am so looking forward to my new iMacPro (most likely the same panel as the UltraFine 5K but without all the laptop-destroying shielding, grounding and firmware issues).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I always thought the phrase was "rubbing shoulders".
  • Reply 6 of 9
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    I always thought the phrase was "rubbing shoulders".
    no... rubbing shoulders is when you cuddle up to someone to make a deal. Rubbing elbows is when you push someone gently to protect your space ...  ;-)
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Well I, for one, welcome our new elite overlords...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    gtr said:
    In this case, looking at the names on the list, "elite" sounds about right.

It does get overused quite often.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    gtr said:
    Thanks! This made my day. :-)