Watch: Everything you need to know about the new App Store in iOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
Apple completely revamped the App Store in iOS 11, adding a number of new features and under-the-hood enhancements, while at the same time streamlining the platform's user interface. AppleInsider goes over all the changes in this in-depth video.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    You might've actually compared iOS 10 with iOS 11 with the same sized phone
    Soliamar99[Deleted User]superklotondoozydozenCalikid55
  • Reply 2 of 9
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Does iOS 11 also cause your phone size to shrink? It was such a great review, just can't understand why the choice was made to use different screen sizes when doing an interface comparison.
    edited July 2017 superklotondoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 9
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I know how much effort goes into storyboarding, scripting and creating a good walk-through.  This was top-notch.  Thanks.  Looking forward to exploring the iOS 11 App Store.  
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Scot1 said:
    Seriously, the functionality and UI might be different on a Plus device! While this was a very good overview, I cannot understand at all why you chose two different sized iPhones. Regarding iOS 11, why remove update size and version number from the update list? That was very helpful information! As well, what’s up with no fullscreen preview images anymore? #sad
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Scot1 said:
    It was probably done to help keep in mind which is the old and which is the new. Or, to show how readable the new format is even on the smaller screen. 

What i don't get is why they did away with the wish list for apps. OK, if I don't love the app right away, I won't buy it. No need (I guess) to think about it!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think the app presentation layout is better now. Finally the long nagging sideways-fullscreen-images is gone too. *shrug* The only thing I was really interested to see though is if the search functionality is updated. It's soooo hard to find a useful app by searching with the current search engine. It doesn't find anything if you spell wrong, and you often find really really mediocre apps, even though you're searching for something seriously useful. It'd be great with an optional currated search functionality. I know it'd be harder for new apps to get noticed that way, but they should be noticed in currated search results if they make better apps.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    palegolas said:
    The only thing I was really interested to see though is if the search functionality is updated. It's soooo hard to find a useful app by searching with the current search engine.
    Agreed. Finding anything of value in the app store is like looking for a needle in a haystack. They could probably triple app sales of it were not so frustrating.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I'm finding that with the iOS 11 public beta, the app store is having a devil of a time updating existing apps.

If I manually trigger updates, the indicator spins endlessly until most of them time out.

Then it becomes necessary to manually tap them and it still takes a long time.

I've been trying for several days to install HBO Now, and I find it impossible ... only progress is that the indicator went from Get to the cloud ... but even then, it never appears on the phone despite numerous tries.