Latest Apple Park flyover highlights landscaping push, campus-wide construction

Posted:
in General Discussion
New drone footage of Apple Park reveals that major landscaping work is underway within the main courtyard, and that while diminished in places, campus building construction is still very much active.

The courtyard is now home to a large tree grove as well as tall mounds of dirt, a video by pilot Duncan Sinfield shows. Apple Park is eventually expected to host about 9,000 trees -- some of them fruit-bearing, in an homage to the region's old orchards.

Other portions of the video show that while many buildings are effectively complete, construction is still ongoing along Tantau Avenue, and even around the "spaceship" itself. Tantau was reportedly closed to vehicles for much of July for the sake of completing the Visitor Center, which recently began hiring.

While at least some staff are already working at Apple Park, the rough state of the campus suggests that a full transition from 1 Infinite Loop -- including executives like CEO Tim Cook -- may take many months. The company's old headquarters should eventually centralize some of its cloud teams.

Apple is likely eager to complete the Steve Jobs Theater by September, given an anticipated "iPhone 8" announcement and other product debuts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Does anyone know what those mounds consist of?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Methinks the completion date is the move in date... not a real completion date...
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Methinks the completion date is the move in date... not a real completion date…
    It's impossible to move everyone over on the same date, but you can have a last day in which construction crews are on-sight.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Soli said:
    I'm guessing one of two things: 1) dirt from other areas dumped to fill the current area, or 2) top soil or special planting soil (doesn't look like mulch). They don't look like decomposed granite for walkways although the mound by the tractor might be.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    Dirt?
    stanthemanStrangeDaysargonaut[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 22
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    Dirt?
    I smell the beginnings of *Dirt-gate*.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I still can't wait until the grass is all grown in...then this place will really look different. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 8 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    does anybody have a room with a view? From what we saw of the internal cubicles it doesnt seem like it. 
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    asdasd said:
    does anybody have a room with a view? From what we saw of the internal cubicles it doesnt seem like it. 
    With the size of those glass panels?

I reckon everyone should be able to see natural daylight. 
    stanthemangregoriusm
  • Reply 10 of 22
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Soli said:
    I think that's where they store all the missed "completion" dates...
    Yes, we understand it's difficult to move lots of staff in...
    And it's difficult to continually redefine words like "completion",
    but, heck, at least they've still got you helping them!  ;)
  • Reply 11 of 22
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does Duncan Sinfield have permission for these flyovers, or does he have to dodge Apple AI-powered enforcement drones?  ;)
  • Reply 12 of 22
    rob55 said:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does Duncan Sinfield have permission for these flyovers, or does he have to dodge Apple AI-powered enforcement drones?  ;)
    This has never been brought up before....NEVER! Only EVERY SINGLE TIME a video has been released by either Dunkin or Matt. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 13 of 22
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    macxpress said:
    rob55 said:
    This has never been brought up before....NEVER! Only EVERY SINGLE TIME a video has been released by either Dunkin or Matt. 
    Yeah, well, I NEVER BOTHERED TO READ the discussion, I only watched the videos. So, if you were kidding (as I was (as denoted by the emoji)), then LOL. If you were serious,  then get over yourself dude! Go have a coffee, or perhaps have less coffee, whichever works.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 14 of 22
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    After the trees mature, those at ground level will barely see the huge complex.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    From the road it already looks unimpressive if you’re just driving by. The diameter of the building is so wide that it effectively just looked like any other office complex from ground level, and even without the foliage from the road view several stories seem to be always hidden from how they built up the dirt. I couldn’t even see Steve Jobs Theater 2 months ago on my last drive by.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 16 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    boredumb said:
    Soli said:
     Nonsense. If your claiming the building isn’t complete until every soul has moved to it then it’s your definition that is whack, driven by an irrational need to try to discredit or tarnish Apple, who you are evidently stalking on forums like these. 

It’s like saying the house you had built isnt complete until you entire family moves into it. That just doesn’t make any sense. 
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 22
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Soli said:
    From the road it already looks unimpressive if you’re just driving by. The diameter of the building is so wide that it effectively just looked like any other office complex from ground level, and even without the foliage from the road view several stories seem to be always hidden from how they built up the dirt. I couldn’t even see Steve Jobs Theater 2 months ago on my last drive by.
    What kind of wall or fence is there around the property?  Can you see through it?  I'm thinking it's not a glass wall, though that would very very cool and consistent with other Apple structures. 😎
  • Reply 18 of 22
    rob55 said:
    macxpress said:
    rob55 said:
    Yeah, well, I NEVER BOTHERED TO READ the discussion, I only watched the videos. So, if you were kidding (as I was (as denoted by the emoji)), then LOL. If you were serious,  then get over yourself dude! Go have a coffee, or perhaps have less coffee, whichever works.
    Of course I was kidding....

But kidding aside as I've said in the past if they weren't allowed they would have been shut down years ago. That hopefully answers your and anyone else's question on this topic that may be thinking of this. 

That being said, about a week or two ago, there was an article about Apple having security specifically for stopping these drones flying over Apple Park. So I wonder if either Dunkin and Matt (the other person who does this) are getting permission from Apple, or if they'll be shut down too? If Apple isn't doing their own recording of this stuff it would be a shame to shut down Dunkin and Matt. They're the ones who started all of this IMO and others just did the "me too". Someone needs to document the building of this amazing place. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fred1 said:
    Soli said:
    What kind of wall or fence is there around the property?  Can you see through it?  I'm thinking it's not a glass wall, though that would very very cool and consistent with other Apple structures. 😎
    I think there might be a short chain link fence, but don't quote me on that. It certainly didn't stand out but I also wasn't looking for it. During the height of the construction they did have a very tall green color wall erected to block the view, and that definitely stood out.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 20 of 22
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    Soli said:
     Nonsense. If your claiming the building isn’t complete until every soul has moved to it then it’s your definition that is whack, driven by an irrational need to try to discredit or tarnish Apple, who you are evidently stalking on forums like these. 

It’s like saying the house you had built isnt complete until you entire family moves into it. That just doesn’t make any sense. 
    It's offensive and despicable to blithely accuse people of "stalking" (presumably, you mean "trolling") simply for expressing a perfectly legitimate opinion.
    For the record, I'm claiming the building isn't completed until it's completed, whether even a single person ever works there or not.
    Any more than it relies on people moving into a house for that to be complete.  The two are unrelated, despite your sophistry.
    And we're now over a year and a half, at minimum, beyond Apple's earliest "completion" estimate.  
    No doubt there are perfectly legitimate reasons for that to be the case, but I can't think of ANY legitimate reasons
    to act the Apple apologist, blandly, relentlessly, repeatedly,
    and in the face of facts you feel comfortable dismissing by redefining even the simplest terms.