Apple wins permission to start testing 5G for future iPhones & other devices

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has secured a U.S. Federal Communications Commission license to test 5G cellular, setting the stage for the technology arriving in future iPhones and iPads, and likely other products as well.

As anticipated Apple will test on the 28 and 39 gigahertz commercial bands, DSLReports said on Thursday. The company will conduct millimeter wave experiments in two places near its offices in Milpitas, Calif.

"These assessments will provide engineering data relevant to the operation of devices on wireless carriers' future 5G networks," Apple said in its original application.

While a 2018 "iPhone 9" is probably Apple's main interest, the bandwidth possible with the technology -- upwards of 1 gigabit per second -- may help support more radical hardware. The company is for example rumored to be working on augmented reality glasses, which would benefit from high-speed data tracking and overlays.

The company is also developing its own self-driving car platform, possibly even a full-fledged vehicle. 5G could ensure instant access to vital navigation data and sync with other cars on the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You mean 2020 iPhone 9.  :p

10th iPhone: iPhone 7: 2016
    11th iPhone: iPhone 7S: 2017
    12th iPhone: iPhone 8: 2018
    13th iPhone: iPhone 8S: 2019
    14th iPhone: iPhone 9: 2020

After all, when are the telecoms even thinking about beginning 5G rollout? It may well be 2020 before we see it.
    doozydozenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor

After all, when are the telecoms even thinking about beginning 5G rollout? It may well be 2020 before we see it.
    Actually, Apple is rumored to be putting out three phones this year - the "iPhone 7s," "7s Plus," and "8." 

It's true that 5G won't see wide deployment for a long time, but other phonemakers are already beginning support.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Actually, Apple is rumored to be putting out three phones this year - the "iPhone 7s," "7s Plus," and "8." 
    Oh, right! I remember that rumor now. Remember when the iPhone 4S and 5 came out at the same time?  :p
    It's true that 5G won't see wide deployment for a long time, but other phonemakers are already beginning support.
    Oh, is the standard finalized? Or is it just another case of Samsung hopping on a bandwagon before everyone else (cough4Gcough)?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 11
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member

Do you really think Apple will ditch their globally known nomenclature so that they can name the 10th anniversary model "iphone 8?" And for what marketing reason would that support? Why didn't Apple name the iPhone SE instead with a numeric value? I just cannot for the life of me understand why so many people, including tech journalists, believe the 10th anniversary model will get the name iPhone 8. It's a Special Edition, not a regular edition. Use some critical thinking, ugh. (Yes, I just cannot wait to eat crow if I'm wrong).
    williamlondonbeowulfschmidtcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Synch with other cars on the road... and do what? Install viruses?
  • Reply 6 of 11

Do you really think Apple will ditch their globally known nomenclature so that they can name the 10th anniversary model "iphone 8?" And for what marketing reason would that support? Why didn't Apple name the iPhone SE instead with a numeric value? I just cannot for the life of me understand why so many people, including tech journalists, believe the 10th anniversary model will get the name iPhone 8. It's a Special Edition, not a regular edition. Use some critical thinking, ugh. (Yes, I just cannot wait to eat crow if I'm wrong).

I'm kinda in agreement with repressthis on this one.  I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple would squander an anniversary marketing opportunity with some lame "iPhone 8" nomenclature.  If commentators are using that as shorthand for an anniversary edition, and don't really expect it to be called "iPhone 8", I guess I can understand that.

Personally, I think "iPhone AE" or "iPhone X", or something that denotes the anniversary would be awesome.

• Reply 7 of 11
    beowulfschmidt said:
    Personally, I think "iPhone AE" or "iPhone X", or something that denotes the anniversary would be awesome.
    “iPhone Roman Numeral X: the 11th iPhone!”  :D

Apple really named themselves into a corner with this crap. They should have dropped the numbers half a decade ago. iPhone (2018), iPhone (2017), and iPhone (2016) all on sale simultaneously. Not that hard.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Yeah, its going to be called, something like 10th anniversary edition, or Iphone X
  • Reply 9 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    beowulfschmidt said:

Apple really named themselves into a corner with this crap. They should have dropped the numbers half a decade ago. iPhone (2018), iPhone (2017), and iPhone (2016) all on sale simultaneously. Not that hard.
    Whoever is in charge of product and service naming there isn't doing a very good job. Even when a new product line is introduced they should be thinking in terms of annual refreshes, line extensions or spinoff names. And they should trademark and buy the domain names for everything they come up with.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Whoever is in charge of product and service naming there isn't doing a very good job. 
    It's all Eddie's fault! /s
  • Reply 11 of 11
    beowulfschmidt said:

Meh.  I certainly don't think it's any worse than "iPhone 8" for the "11th iPhone".  And why on earth would they emulate Microsoft by naming things after the year.  Now that is silly.