Apple Store app for iPhone & iPad updates with Touch ID for Apple ID

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Thursday updated its official Apple Store app for iPhones and iPads with a pair of important changes, most notably expanded use of Touch ID.

People can now use Touch ID to authenticate their Apple ID, whether changing account settings or making a payment using a card linked to that account. Normally Touch ID is used to make purchases via Apple Pay, and in fact shoppers have to tap "buy with other payment options" in the app to use an Apple ID.

Apple has also made it easier to see if a particular iPhone configuration is available at a nearby outlet. That could be particularly important come this fall, when the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 8" are expected to debut -- the latter of which may be in short supply.

The app otherwise appears unchanged. It's a free download from the App Store, and requires iOS 10 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Oh, this seemingly small change might pan out to be a big change if Apple eventually enables Touch ID for any Apple account verification. Too often I am asked to enter my enormously long Apple password. It gets annoying. Touch ID for iCloud Keychain across Safari and 3rd party app integration would be HUGE. Bring It Apple!!
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 7
     Do you really think Apple will release 2 different iPhone model numbers (a 7 variant and an 8) in the same year?  It seems highly unlikely. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 7
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    No one knows the actual names, but iPhone 7s and iPhone Pro seem most likely. iPhone Anniversary Edition?

In any case the convention has been to call it iPhone 8 for now to maximize confusion next year.
    macky the mackyjbishop1039lolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 7
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    Apple's TouchID is a nuisance and not a security feature at all.  What is the point that you have to use a passcode to unlock every now and then?  Defeats the whole purpose of having biometric.  I have to fight the App Store when it prompts for password and refuses to use TouchID from time to time.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,823member
    vision33r said:
    Apple's TouchID is a nuisance and not a security feature at all.  What is the point that you have to use a passcode to unlock every now and then?  Defeats the whole purpose of having biometric.  I have to fight the App Store when it prompts for password and refuses to use TouchID from time to time.
    You're confused. TouchID is a convienence feature, not a security feature. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
     Do you really think Apple will release 2 different iPhone model numbers (a 7 variant and an 8) in the same year?  It seems highly unlikely. 
    Unlikely, probably. LOL

Highly unlikely? I don't know. The release the 6 and 6 Plus, etc. If the rumors of a premium phone are correct, why not a 7s, 7s Plus, and 8 or Pro version? Though I think the 'Pro' moniker would be highly unlikely.

netmage said:
    No one knows the actual names, but iPhone 7s and iPhone Pro seem most likely.
    Really? Based on what? A 'Professional' phone? A professional's phone? Will it have a physical keyboard? Not that it couldn't happen, but Apple has never marketed the phone as a professional's tool.

I'd say 'Anniversary' Edition is out of the question. Apple has remarked on the anniversary dates of hallmark products but I don't recall them releasing one since the Twentieth Anniversary Mac. It could happen but I wouldn't put money on it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

vision33r said:
    You're confused. TouchID is a convienence feature, not a security feature. 
    I mildly disagree with both of you. It is a security feature, albeit one compromised by convenience, and convenience always sacrifices some degree of security.

The concept of limiting access at some level to someone by some metric is the presumption of security, at some level. That the password is occasionally required speaks to the fact that TID is less secure than a good password.

At some point, maybe there will be a legal definition and standard of digital security so that the word can't be used unless a device's access can meet that standard.