This week on AI: iPods fade away, 'iPhone 8' & Apple TV rumors, Trump promises US plants

Posted:
in General Discussion
The end of an era came this week as Apple discontinued its last remaining "old-school" iPods, the Nano and the Shuffle. "iPhone 8" and Apple TV rumors continued to steam ahead, while U.S. President Donald Trump claimed Apple will set up multiple factories in the country.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The iPod nano and iPod shuffle are no more > >
  • The iPod touch now starts at $199 for 32 gigabytes > >
  • The "iPhone 8" could ship in October or November -- with no white bezel options > >
  • Third public betas of iOS 11, tvOS 11, and macOS High Sierra are available > >
  • Apple is allegedly paying $2.7 billion to secure OLED panels from LG > >
  • President Trump said Apple is bringing three "big" factories to the U.S. > >
  • Apple may finally be bringing 4K and HDR content to iTunes -- and the Apple TV > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple kills iPod nano, iPod shuffle lines after nearly 12 years of service

Apple doubles iPod touch storage to 32GB for $199, kills 16GB & 64GB models

Apple 'iPhone 8' to reportedly launch in October or November sans white bezel option

Apple deploys third public beta releases of macOS 10.13 High Sierra, iOS 11, tvOS 11

Apple invests $2.7B in LG's OLED production for future iPhones - report

Apple will bring 3 manufacturing plants to US, President Trump reveals

Ireland gearing up escrow fund, government supervision for $15.2B tax payment from Apple

Athenry, Ireland Apple iCloud data center court ruling postponed again

Flash is dead: Adobe announces end-of-life plans, will stop distribution in 2020

Video: Take a closer look at Apple's new iPad multitasking features in iOS 11

Inside iOS 11: The coolest Apple ARKit demos created so far

Apple's Tim Cook speaks out against President Trump's ban on transgender soldiers

Apple's Nokia settlement includes $2B up-front cash payment

Foxconn's $10B Wisconsin LCD factory to supply Sharp, not Apple

White House looks to Apple's Cook, other tech CEOs to shape STEM education policy

Leaked part could show Apple's 'iPhone 8' wireless charging coil assembly

Apple wins permission to start testing 5G for future iPhones & other devices

Apple granted permission to renovate DC's Carnegie Library with 63,000 square foot store

Apple sued over Apple TV's 'What did he say,' other Siri voice control features

iRobot CEO insists company won't sell Roomba home data

Apple reveals 4K and HDR plans in iTunes, hinting revamped Apple TV may arrive soon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I liked the comment, the AppleWatch (and AirPods) are the next generation iPod.

I was actually listening to the Ai podcast on my AppleWatch and AirPods (sans iPhone) while on the treadmill. I hadn't really made the connection until I heard Victor and Neil say, "this is the next gen iPod" out loud. 

Right now there is a few too many steps to go thru to Search, then download the podcasts on the iPhone then transfer them to the AppleWatch. I use an OK app "Watch Player."

I'm sure Apple is working on a solution.

I have to say I love not having to carry my iPhone when trail running. (Only running in the gym b/c Arizona is just too hot outside!)

The Running App and the Podcast app ran flawlessly (once setup). Even received a few texts from my GF and didn't miss a beat. I remember using the Nike + running app on my iPhone and seemed like if I pressed the wrong button I ended up interrupting my run. Often times not realizing it! 

BTW: Great job on the Podcast you guys have really developed a good rapport with each other. Good humor and funny asides. I like, "Here at TeslaInsider or here at iPodsInsider..." :)
    edited July 2017 nhughes
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I liked the comment, the AppleWatch (and AirPods) are the next generation iPod.
    BTW: Great job on the Podcast you guys have really developed a good rapport with each other. Good humor and funny asides. I like, "Here at TeslaInsider or here at iPodsInsider..." :)
    I didn't! :) I don't think the Watch is a good iPod replacement at all. First, as you noted, it's currently too cumbersome, and the storage is WAY too small. Of course, since it's in it's infancy, Apple can fix that stuff. (Though, what do people do for the, possibly years, of transition?)

The other problem is the price. Apple Watches cost far more than the little clip-on or tiny iPods. Again, Apple can fix that, but will they? Are we going to be seeing an $99 Apple Watch any time soon?

But, the biggest problem I have with it, is that you'd be required to use BlueTooth. That means for any kind of specialized listening system, you'd need a BT receiver. And, anyone who's used BT much knows it doesn't work as well as wired (or at least never has for me). And, if I'm using it for long periods of time, I don't want a BT thing in my ear.

I know biker-riders, for example, who spend many hours a day on their bikes and depend on these little devices. I suppose they could use an iPod Touch or iPhone SE, but those are considerably larger.

When I told my wife (who loves her little iPod nano) that they've canceled them... her reactions was along the lines of... how stupid can Apple be? :) And, since she won't be switching to a Watch and AirPods, if that little thing breaks, I guess it's off the Apple platform.

re: podcast - I second that. I'm really enjoying it as well. They should just mark the episodes better on the site... like instead of 'This week on AI:' more like 'Podcast:' or 'AI Podcast'. Maybe episode numbers, too.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    cgWerks said:

re: podcast - I second that. I'm really enjoying it as well. They should just mark the episodes better on the site... like instead of 'This week on AI:' more like 'Podcast:' or 'AI Podcast'. Maybe episode numbers, too.
    http://appleinsider.com/tag/podcast

Hope that helps. Thanks for listening :)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    cgWerks said:
    Thanks! The podcast goes live on Fridays and is highlighted in its own separate story. Saturdays we do our week in review story, which includes a podcast embed (since the podcast also recaps the week that was).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Heh, yea, that works.

nhughes said:
    The podcast goes live on Fridays and is highlighted in its own separate story. Saturdays we do our week in review story, which includes a podcast embed (since the podcast also recaps the week that was).
    Yea, I just meant in the article titles, so when scanning down the page of articles, the podcast episodes are more apparent.
    Also, as an avid podcast listener (over 50 of them now), I like podcasts that start with numbers, like '001: Title' but I know some of the advice out there says otherwise. It's really nice for reference though. If I ever get my own podcasts going, that's the format I'm going to use. :)  (I've been following the podcast scene and listening to the experts on it for like 3 years now... even have a good mic... just need to pull the trigger and do it!)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cgWerks said:
    Heh, yea, that works.

nhughes said:
    The podcast goes live on Fridays and is highlighted in its own separate story. Saturdays we do our week in review story, which includes a podcast embed (since the podcast also recaps the week that was).
    Yea, I just meant in the article titles, so when scanning down the page of articles, the podcast episodes are more apparent.
    Also, as an avid podcast listener (over 50 of them now), I like podcasts that start with numbers, like '001: Title' but I know some of the advice out there says otherwise. It's really nice for reference though. If I ever get my own podcasts going, that's the format I'm going to use. :)  (I've been following the podcast scene and listening to the experts on it for like 3 years now... even have a good mic... just need to pull the trigger and do it!)
    Podcast hosting is easier than ever. Just jump on it one day, either solo, or with a buddy!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Podcast hosting is easier than ever. Just jump on it one day, either solo, or with a buddy!
    Thanks Mike! It's not the hosting aspect I'm worried about... it's more the time commitment. :)  Well, that and I'm kind of a perfectionist or always want to know enough that I feel a certain level of confidence. I'm WAY past that now, as I probably know more of the tech aspects than a lot of people who've been doing it for a while (and I've helped one of my clients get going, so I've been involved behind the scenes). The learning more and more, at some point, becomes an excuse.