HomePod firmware digging affirms 'iPhone 8' will have 5.15" display area with 2436x1125 re...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's anticipated "iPhone 8" will pack more pixels than ever into a screen size slightly smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus, the latest details culled from Apple's own HomePod firmware reveal.

In the latest tidbit extracted from the software by developer Steven Troughton-Smith, it was discovered that the so-called "iPhone 8" will feature a three-times resolution screen at 2,436 by 1,125 pixels. That's a higher pixel count, and greater pixel density, than the 5.5-inch iPhone Plus series, which has a 1,920 by 1,080 resolution.

The resolution found in the firmware exactly matches the number reported in February by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities. Specifically, he said the handset, which some have taken to calling an "iPhone Pro," will boast a 5.15-inch display area.

But Kuo also said that the physical edge-to-edge OLED screen will include a separate "function area," bringing the total screen size to 5.8 inches.

Troughton-Smith's findings would suggest that apps will utilize the 5.15-inch display area. It is unclear what the function area, which will occupy the bottom of the display where the home button used to reside, will display.

Image credit: Nodus and Gordon Kelly

It's expected that the flagship iPhone will sport a virtual home button, replacing the physical button that has been on every iPhone to date. Some have seen the virtual home button being a part of a Touch Bar for iPhone, bringing over one of the defining features of the new MacBook Pro.

At 5.8 inches combined, the "iPhone 8" function area and display area will offer a larger display than the iPhone 7 Plus. Whether or not developers will be able to extend their apps into the function area, though, remains to be seen.

Apple's own HomePod firmware has proven to be treasure trove of information about the upcoming premium iPhone, which is expected to be unveiled in September. Troughton-Smith also found references to a new biometric facial recognition feature for secure logins, potentially replacing Touch ID entirely.

The firmware also includes a rough sketch of the "iPhone 8" design, including a cut out at the top of the display for the earpiece and camera array.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    If that screen is OLED and its subpixel pattern is the same or similar to what Sammy is using in their phones, then it explains, why Apple opted for higher resolution.
    Normally you don't need that high resolution on a normal size phone....that is, unless you plan on using it as a basis VR.
    doozydozenAviesheklolliver
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    "Whether or not developers will be able to extend their apps into the function area, though, remains to be seen" - it seems very unlikely.  If apps were to use that space, how would the OS differentiate a "Home" button press from a press of an icon that happens to coincide in location with the Home button?  I suspect and have always forecast a functional area that has both a virtual home button plus the 4 "favorites" we're used to seeing at the bottom of the iPhone screen.  That arrangement has the following benefits: (1) Without access to the the functional area, apps' screen aspect ratio stays similar to current phones', so rewrites aren't needed; (2) favorites are now always visible and reachable - even while in an app; (3) a large rectangular area for TouchId - so not only could the home button unlock the phone, but so could the touching of any of the favorites!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Wow, a 5.15 inch screen. Talk about a downgrade. 
    doozydozen78BanditAvieshek
  • Reply 4 of 15
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    tjwolf said:
    favorites are now always visible and reachable - even while in an app
    I hope that's not the case — or at least not all of the time. Presumably the function area would go "dark" when you're doing an activity like watching a video. Some apps would not be well served by having stuff at the bottom of the screen. Ideally, at least some apps (like video) would be able to extend into the function area, allowing for a larger picture. This isn't unheard of: Apple lets apps remove the status bar, for example.
    doozydozensuperklotonlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    A downgrade from what? It's virtually the same size as a Plus, but fits in the same dimensions as a 4.7" iPhone with significantly higher resolution. This is how they'll be able to put the equivalent of a 4.7" screen into an SE if they want (I hope they do), with the same native HD resolution as the current Plus. Actual dimensions size is not the only thing that matters -- it's not the overall size, but how they use the size they have.
    StrangeDayscecil444pscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mac_128 said:
    A downgrade from what? It's virtually the same size as a Plus, but fits in the same dimensions as a 4.7" iPhone with significantly higher resolution. This is how they'll be able to put the equivalent of a 4.7" screen into an SE if they want (I hope they do), with the same native HD resolution as the current Plus. Actual dimensions size is not the only thing that matters -- it's not the overall size, but how they use the size they have.
    Yep. That's how I read it, too. :)
    cecil444
  • Reply 7 of 15
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    nhughes said:
    tjwolf said:
    favorites are now always visible and reachable - even while in an app
    ...Presumably the function area would go "dark" when you're doing an activity like watching a video. Some apps would not be well served by having stuff at the bottom of the screen.
    Hm, other than the video playback you mentioned and FPS games, I can't think of cases where you'd not want a visible function area.  Maybe there'll be a special 'video/game' mode that gets escaped via one of the remaining physical buttons - or maybe via 3d touch.

superkloton
  • Reply 8 of 15
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    tjwolf said:
    "Whether or not developers will be able to extend their apps into the function area, though, remains to be seen" - it seems very unlikely...(2) favorites are now always visible and reachable - even while in an app 
    No way. How boring of an imagination you have. Having 4 static app icons perpetually displayed in the function area regardless of what tasks you are performing or what app is being used would be highly unlikely UI from Apple. For example: reading content on AppleInside, or watching a review on YouTube, or engaged in an important FaceTime call? Well, enjoy staring at your Message app icon and 3 others for no meaningful reason at all... From a UX standpoint, how awful that experience that would be. It feels like you're describing a different favor of Android's ubiquitous navigation bar. Lame. 
    gregoriusmsuperklotonStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mac_128 said:
    Every time I read about the pro/8, I hope I will see something about an SE update but suspect it will be on its own cycle (both as to time of year and frequency/depth of updates).  It's a shame because I think there are a lot of power users who like the smaller form factor but also care about having the most modern features.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Every time I read about the pro/8, I hope I will see something about an SE update but suspect it will be on its own cycle (both as to time of year and frequency/depth of updates).  It's a shame because I think there are a lot of power users who like the smaller form factor but also care about having the most modern features.
    Yup. But if they do update the SE, it won't be the SE anymore. It'll be a 4" iPhone 8, with a price tag to match, and eventually work its way down to the entry level again.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    I don't look at it as a downgrade from the 7+, I look at it as an upgrade from the 7. It is roughly the same form factor and I have little doubt Apple will release new a new plus model in 2018 that is the same size as the current Galaxy S8+.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    I suspect the "virtual function area" will also function as a place to rest your thumb when your in an app or watching a video. Or controls for said video. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tshapi said:
    I suspect the "virtual function area" will also function as a place to rest your thumb when your in an app or watching a video. Or controls for said video. 
    Yeah, it's not all that clear how the function area will handle UI. At best it will function similar to Touch Bar on the MacBook Pro—adaptive UI per app in use. The biggest unanswered question is how the function area implement Touch ID, from a UI perspective. I believe the idea of placing the hardware behind the display gives Apple the freedom to get the Touch ID UI can get out of the way when not in use, freeing up the space for more relevant UI. The inherent issue with said setup is how does the user recall the Touch ID UI when hidden? I could imagine a short swipe up from the bottom of the display could pull over the Touch ID UI on top of the UI currently inhabited the function area; whereas a full swipe up brings the entire control center with it. Similar to how iOS 11 on iPad regular swipe up envokes dock, and full swipe up brings the control center/multitasking. Food for thought.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    So a 5.1" usable area for apps and a roughly 5.8" total screen. I'm guessing the bottom screen might show some shortcuts varying. Then use just 3d touch the area for home button. Possibly in control center there will also be the other home button features available, or a slide in like the touchbar on mac.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    What makes this interesting is that it's the resolution the Pluss currently render at, and then downscale to 1080p from. 

This would allow it to go full native, no more funny downscaling business. Might end up helping performance despite the higher res.