Facebook developing separate video chat and smartspeaker devices, custom voice assistant -...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook is reportedly working on not one but two smartspeaker-style devices, and building its own Siri-like voice assistant with the help of former Apple employees.

Amazon's Echo Show.
Amazon's Echo Show.

The first device is a previously-rumored display-based offering, which has a 13- to 15-inch touchscreen, Bloomberg sources said. The product is being developed by Facebook's Building 8 lab, and could be announced at next spring's F8 conference.

The product will allegedly be oriented toward video chat, with a wide-angle lens, microphones, and speakers, all of those getting a performance boost through AI. One feature in testing would let its camera scan for people and lock onto them, for example. Facebook is also said to be developing a 360-degree camera, but that might not be ready in time for launch.

Prototypes are said to be testing in people's homes, but it's not yet clear whether the device will run a version of Android or a custom Facebook OS.

The second device is a more conventional smartspeaker like the Amazon Echo or Google Home, according to sources. Like its screen-based counterpart, it should make use of Facebook's upcoming assistant. Its advantage may be a price in the "low $100 range," versus a few hundred dollars for the video product -- two of the Bloomberg sources, however, indicated that Facebook could potentially abandon it in favor of the video model, since smartspeakers have already been firmly established.

The video device could bear similarities to Amazon's Echo Show, but with a much larger display.

Any new Facebook product will pose an extra challenge for Apple's HomePod, coming this December for $349. That product will lack any video functions, focusing mainly on Siri, high-quality sound, and operating as a HomeKit hub.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    "Yay! Me too. " am I the only one that doesn't see a need for this many devices in this category? I guess it's inevitable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'd really trust hardware with a microphone made by Facebook /s. On a related issue my wife just got a LinkedIn invitation from an old client that has been dead a few years.  Got to love these social media companies!
    calilolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MacPro said:
    I'd really trust hardware with a microphone made by Facebook /s. On a related issue my wife just got a LinkedIn invitation from an old client that has been dead a few years.  Got to love these social media companies!
    I made a point of deleting as much of my facebook history as I could at the start of this year. A week or so ago there was a facebook-generated celebration video thing made up of everything from my timeline since joining (pictures, videos, becoming friends etc.) Stuff I had "deleted", it even said "1842 likes". When I checked, I had less than 10 "likes" remaining apparenly. The sneaky buggers obviously keep a record somewhere whether you want rid or not. Not a chance I'm allowing something with a camera and microphone from them into my home.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Just why?
    What percentage of the population does not have a smartphone, even a cheapo one? All of these are FB capable so just why?
    why do they think that their is a huge pent up demand for something like this? Or is it Zuck's Folly?

What do I know eh? I am not a FB 'product' and never have been and never will be.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Oh goodie. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Same thing happened with Google Glass and Rift. Everyone and their dig started making them. 
    watto_cobra