'Cold' smiley, frowning poo among 67 emoji potentially headed to iPhone & Mac in 2018

Posted:
in iPhone
The Unicode Technical Committee has introduced 67 emoji as "draft candidates" for inclusion in the Unicode 11 standard come the second half of 2018, which may dictate what characters will be seen in "iOS 12" and the follow-up to macOS High Sierra.

A few examples include a bagel, broom, cupcake, kangaroo, salt shaker, and a frowning version of the infamous poo emoji, according to Emojipedia. New smileys could include cold, hot, party, "loved," and "hero" options, among others.

The 67 characters join emoji already on the candidate list, such as a test tube and redheads. Notably, any expansions involving gender or skin tone will be settled at a later time, since they don't require approving new code points.

The UTC will decide on a final list of candidates at its October meeting, and should be ready to share relevant data with platform holders like Apple and Google in early 2018. While Apple will sometimes have unique renderings of emoji, it's largely obligated to conform to the Unicode standard so that people can communicate with other platforms.

Unicode 10 should come to Apple platforms alongside iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, due this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I really don't understand the obsession with emoji and their use by anyone over 12 years old.  In most circumstances, I'd be embarrassed to use one.  Same for that sticker crap that Apple was promoting in recent TV ads.   Maybe I've become a "get off my lawn" guy, but I can't imagine myself using any of that at any age.   Apple is selling $600 phones and $3000 computers to people who use stickers in text messages?  
    dachartallest skilwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    zoetmb said:
    I really don't understand the obsession with emoji and their use by anyone over 12 years old.  In most circumstances, I'd be embarrassed to use one.  Same for that sticker crap that Apple was promoting in recent TV ads.   Maybe I've become a "get off my lawn" guy, but I can't imagine myself using any of that at any age.   Apple is selling $600 phones and $3000 computers to people who use stickers in text messages?  
    Yeah you’re an old grumpy guy now. Different strokes. I’m in my 40s and my friends and I enjoy well placed emoji. They represent feelings or ideas in a more playful way than words alone. It’s fun. It‘s a form of gamification. 
    edited August 2017 JinTechSolimacxpresspeterhartdoozydozentgr1patchythepiratewatto_cobrapotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    zoetmb said:
    You'd really be embarrassed to use an emoji? I use them when appropriate and I'd also love for passwords to start accepting emojis as things up to complex passwords that I can remember.

edited August 2017 doozydozentgr1patchythepirateStrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 4 of 13
    zoetmb said:
    Yeah you’re an old grumpy guy now. Different strokes. I’m in my 40s and my friends and I enjoy well placed emoji. They represent feelings or ideas in a more playful way than words alone. It’s fun. It‘s a form of gamification. 

Ok, but why are their hundreds of "emojis" that have nothing to do with emotion?  Messages now "suggests" that I swap out the word "train" for a teeny picture of a train.  How does that make any sense?  It just seems like this jumped the shark a few years ago.  The proportion of emojis used satirically (e.g., "look how stupid this is that I swapped out a work for a picture" as opposed to "this emoji added value to the conversation or was more efficient than typing the word") is very high.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Soli said:
    zoetmb said:
    You'd really be embarrassed to use an emoji? I use them when appropriate and I'd also love for passwords to start accepting emojis as things up to complex passwords that I can remember.

I'm sure he stands corrected with your excellent example of "appropriate" use :-)
    Solidoozydozenwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    zoetmb said:

Ok, but why are their hundreds of "emojis" that have nothing to do with emotion?  Messages now "suggests" that I swap out the word "train" for a teeny picture of a train.  How does that make any sense?  It just seems like this jumped the shark a few years ago.  The proportion of emojis used satirically (e.g., "look how stupid this is that I swapped out a work for a picture" as opposed to "this emoji added value to the conversation or was more efficient than typing the word") is very high.
    Because there's a lot more to relate as a ideogram than just emotion. Like using 🎉after "Congratulations" when I win a Nobel Prize in 🇨🇭.

But it's all moot since you can turn off the Emoji keyboard in iOS.
    edited August 2017 peterhartdoozydozentgr1StrangeDayswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member
    zoetmb said:
    Agreed. 50+ here and ~1000 mi away from family. Emoji are great fun to liven up the jokey texts that my siblings and I love to send to each other. I also find it especially so on iOS, which has such detailed and attractive versions.
    patchythepirateStrangeDayswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    zoetmb said:

You're confusing emojis with emoticons. Emoji is from Japanese: ORIGIN 1990s: Japanese, from e ‘picture’ + moji ‘letter, character.’ Emoticon is from English: ORIGIN 1990s: blend of emotion and icon.
    SolipatchythepiraterandominternetpersonStrangeDaysSpamSandwichwatto_cobracornchiplolliver
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bonobob said:
    zoetmb said:

You're confusing emojis with emoticons. Emoji is from Japanese: ORIGIN 1990s: Japanese, from e ‘picture’ + moji ‘letter, character.’ Emoticon is from English: ORIGIN 1990s: blend of emotion and icon.

Indeed I was.  Thank you for the clarification.  Obviously they are easily confused since many systems automagically transforms emoticons into emojis.
    bonobob
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    zoetmb said:
    That's like asking why there so many damn words in English. The rub: you, personally, don't have to use many of them, but when somebody wants to use one, there it is. I bet you don't use the science ones very often, but my SO is a scientist and so does. 
    edited August 2017 Soliwatto_cobralolliverpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I'm also one that doesn't really get the whole emoji fad. Sure every now and then a smiley or wink or maybe something more obscene like a frown<wry grin>, but when I try and use them more, for example to convey something simple, there never is an emoji available. How about envy or jealous(y) or welcome or other simple, mostly statements of a reply or quick thought nature, they never seem to have what I want. So I stick with the tried and true smiley or exclamation mark or thumb's up.

There's a website (or hundreds) where you can type a phrase in and have it spit out emoji, even with those nothing I want to say exists in emoji it just makes me wonder what the whole point of this craze is. It's fun in concept but in practice I find it annoying to get a string of emoji characters that are intended to mean something but make absolutely no sense to me, what language are they teaching to kids these days?

Of course there is one awesome emoji, the "live long and prosper" emoji, but that's got to be reserved for special occasions for fear of overuse.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    when I try and use them more, for example to convey something simple, there never is an emoji available.
    https://www.lookhuman.com/design/77869-no-emoji-can-describe-how-i-m-feeling-right-now/phone-case

Part of the appeal these days is figuring out how to make combinations into meaningful statements rather than word substitution. They get used as euphemisms for things that are vulgar when they are described directly:

or they can be more vulgar than words:

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/0613/funny-emoji-crude.jpg

When Kirsten Dunst had her pictures hacked, she used emoji in her tweet and I think that was better than writing the expletives out:

Twitter is another reason they are used because they count as a single character so they can express a longer message than the character limit will allow.

For most messages, they just help convey some emotion like happiness, sadness, anger etc where it's either awkward or difficult to phrase e.g "I feel so sad right now about what you just said" vs 😢. There's an emoji tracker for twitter here that shows the frequency of usage:

http://emojitracker.com

You can click each one to see the context they are being used in. The most used one are the emotional ones, some of the lower down ones are used as decorations in messages like flowers, clouds, sun, trees. Emoji have a clear benefit for existing but I think they get far more media coverage than they deserve and they aren't making enough useful ones. The following really don't have any use in a conversation: ➰🔛🔻🅾, so their process for picking new symbols could be improved.
    williamlondoncornchipSoli
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Some people don't like whimsy I guess.
    edited August 2017 williamlondonSoli