Samsung operating 7 OLED lines at full capacity for Apple's 'iPhone 8,' report says

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung Display will reportedly be operating seven OLED production lines at "full scale" this month in order to churn out panels for Apple's "iPhone 8," the first iPhone to use OLED technology.

Concept art by Max Rudberg.
Concept art by Max Rudberg.

Samsung's related capacity has jumped from 30,000 to 45,000 panels per month a year ago to 105,000, ETNews said on Friday. While that number may still sound low, in this case each panel can be used to make several iPhone displays.

The "iPhone 8", coming this fall, is expected to feature an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, with a portion of that being set aside for a virtual home button and other interface elements. Samsung should be Apple's sole OLED supplier, as it's currently the only firm able to produce smartphone-sized OLED panels on a mass scale -- curved OLED has been on Samsung phones as far back as 2014's Galaxy Note Edge.

The Apple Watch uses OLED as well, but its small display size is both cheaper and easier to manufacture for. It may be some time before Apple feels it's economical to bring OLED to bigger devices such as iPads and MacBooks.

Companies like Sharp and LG should eventually join the iPhone OLED supply chain, but not in time to make a meaningful contribution to this year's hardware.

Alongside the "iPhone 8," Apple is also forecast to release an "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus," using 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs like the iPhone 7 line. They should have some "8" upgrades however, such as wireless charging and faster processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This isn’t our year to upgrade, as we did that last year. I’m disappointed though in the size of the iPhone 8. I really was hoping the display would have a usable area for apps that would match that of my 7+. I’ve become used to that size, and don’t want to go back down a bit. And remember that the 5.8” screen really has a usable area for apps of 5.15”.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Please, No freeken curved display like the edge on Samesung phones!!! So Samesung profits should be up pretty good because of Apple. Of course these are different divisions of Samesung. Hopefully LG and Sharp will get into the act and Apple can move to that direction. As for getting one of these new phones,.... I won't make up my mind until APPLE announces them and I can see real FACTS on a real product. Rumors are just that, RUMORS. As you get closer to launch the some of the rumors can start to become true. Others go by the wayside to be used once again for the following iPhones.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I'll probably use my yearly upgrade contract. The question will be whether that contract will cover upgrades to both the 7s  and 8 iPhones.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sog35 said:

Ready to buy my $1000 phone.  But the stock going up big this week will pay for my phone. LOL.  Plus my Shopify stock went up big time also.
    Only $1000? I've read that it is going to be more like $1400 for the top of the line phone.
    Better sell a few more shares just in case... :)
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:

Ready to buy my $1000 phone.  But the stock going up big this week will pay for my phone. LOL.  Plus my Shopify stock went up big time also.
    Only $1000? I've read that it is going to be more like $1400 for the top of the line phone.
    It's best not to encourage him. He's on a high at the moment because things are going well.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:

It's best not to encourage him. He's on a high at the moment because things are going well.
    Yep. He'll be calling for Tim Cook's head when the stock inventively goes back down a few bucks, with never ending hateful rants, like the raving lunatic he is. 
    mwhiteksecsingularity
  • Reply 7 of 16
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    This is getting ridiculous: "Samsung's related capacity has jumped from 30,000 to 45,000 panels per month a year ago to 105,000, ETNews said on Friday." And it's not even sourced (in original ET story it is "is reported") It is a story about an unsourced story by a another new agency. Tech news has become like the debate on the existence of a transcendent being. While I can't definitively say this story is false, there is not a single shred of evidence that any of it is true. Actually... I take that back, it would be far easer to argue the existence of god than it would be the accuracy or truthfulness of this news echo of a Electronic times yarn.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 8 of 16
    indyfx said:
    This is getting ridiculous: "Samsung's related capacity has jumped from 30,000 to 45,000 panels per month a year ago to 105,000, ETNews said on Friday." And it's not even sourced (in original ET story it is "is reported") It is a story about an unsourced story by a another new agency. Tech news has become like the debate on the existence of a transcendent being. While I can't definitively say this story is false, there is not a single shred of evidence that any of it is true. Actually... I take that back, it would be far easer to argue the existence of god than it would be the accuracy or truthfulness of this news echo of a Electronic times yarn.
    I'm more concerned about the new model being delayed and costing a fortune. I wasn't worried when only an unnamed source reported this, but now that it's been repeated several times by other outlets referencing the initial report, it's obvious this is a major problem.

(the /s tag probably isn't necessary, but just in case...)

:D 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    jbdragon said:
    Please, No freeken curved display like the edge on Samesung phones!!! So Samesung profits should be up pretty good because of Apple. Of course these are different divisions of Samesung. Hopefully LG and Sharp will get into the act and Apple can move to that direction. As for getting one of these new phones,.... I won't make up my mind until APPLE announces them and I can see real FACTS on a real product. Rumors are just that, RUMORS. As you get closer to launch the some of the rumors can start to become true. Others go by the wayside to be used once again for the following iPhones.
    HomePod firmware leaks with iPhone 8 specs and drawings are from Apple
  • Reply 10 of 16
    "Companies like Sharp and LG should eventually join the iPhone OLED supply chain, but not in time to make a meaningful contribution to this year's hardware."
    This quote is making a pretty far fetched prediction. 

Samsung is a full generation ahead of LG and Sharp doesn't even manufacture panels at all. 

While LG struggles with older technology, Samsung just demonstrated a stretchable panel and released Bio blue technology with a 4K display panel on a phone. A little overkill until one puts the phone into a Gear VR headset. Even Facebook is impressed. They are now focused on Samsung's approach of making Oculus technology mobile rather than tethered to a stationary computer. 

Sharp will have to invest billions, competing with a company that is very rapidly advancing the technology and investing many more billions on their own. And what if Sharp invests those billions to produce an inferior product that costs more to produce than simply buying a panel from Samsung? 

It will very likely be the case and it will mean that Sharp won't be around for long. LG is better positioned as they do manufacture OLED panels successfully. However, it is doubtful that they will be able to compete successfully in price either. 

Samsung has essentially cornered the market for OLED. They can put the best technology on their own devices while selling their older technology panels at volumes and prices that none of their competitors can come close to matching. 

For LG and Sharp to join the OLED supply chain, they would have to produce panels with similar quality and prices to Samsung. With LG it's a long shot and it would take a substantial investment by Apple to do so. For Sharp and everyone else, it would seem impossible. Unless of course, Trump goads Kim Jong Un into war. 

Otherwise, Apple needs to work closely with Samsung. They don't really have any other choice. 

Cook made a huge mistake in banking on LCD. I always felt he should have approached LG when they were in discussions over building the panel for the watch to also expand OLED manufacturing to the iPhone and iPad. Alas, he did not. Samsung now has locked nearly everyone else out of the market. And it is hard to see any other technology competing with OLED for the foreseeable future. Not with the investments and advancements Samsung is making in the technology. Perhaps Samsung may be willing to sell Apple their most advanced panels if Cook moves the A series line of SOCs back to Samsung fabs. 

It is even worse on the Android side of the equation. Perhaps Xiaomi and Huawei might be able to purchase those panels for an agreement to put Tizen on their devices. It is very doubtful Samsung sells panels to manufacturers that compete with their own devices without a little additional "incentive." 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:

Yep. He'll be calling for Tim Cook's head when the stock inventively goes back down a few bucks, with never ending hateful rants, like the raving lunatic he is. 
    Do you own Apple stock?  If not then you have no bone to pick.

As an owner of the company, I have every right to critique Tim Cook's performance.
    You really don't, at least not officially, not any more than a non-shareholder, simply because we live in a society where all are free to voice their views and opinions.  As a shareholder, the strongest action you can take is to vote with your wallet.  You could also show up at an annual shareholder meeting and try to present a question, but it's unlikely a small shareholder, on his own, would have the opportunity to do even that.  

But the best thing you could do is... get with the program.  Cook & Co, in aggregate, have done a stellar job.  If you nitpick the man on each topic you read about, each rumor that gets floated, you're probably speaking, like the rest of us, from either insuffient information or outright misinformation (presented by analysts and sour-grapes pundits), and that means you're missing, or choosing to ignore, the bigger picture of how this company and its management team operate. 
    edited August 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    "Companies like Sharp and LG should eventually join the iPhone OLED supply chain, but not in time to make a meaningful contribution to this year's hardware."

Samsung is a full generation ahead of LG and Sharp doesn't even manufacture panels at all. 

While LG struggles with older technology, Samsung just demonstrated a stretchable panel and released Bio blue technology with a 4K display panel on a phone. A little overkill until one puts the phone into a Gear VR headset. Even Facebook is impressed. They are now focused on Samsung's approach of making Oculus technology mobile rather than tethered to a stationary computer. 

Sharp will have to invest billions, competing with a company that is very rapidly advancing the technology and investing many more billions on their own. And what if Sharp invests those billions to produce an inferior product that costs more to produce than simply buying a panel from Samsung? 

It will very likely be the case and it will mean that Sharp won't be around for long. LG is better positioned as they do manufacture OLED panels successfully. However, it is doubtful that they will be able to compete successfully in price either. 

Samsung has essentially cornered the market for OLED. They can put the best technology on their own devices while selling their older technology panels at volumes and prices that none of their competitors can come close to matching. 

For LG and Sharp to join the OLED supply chain, they would have to produce panels with similar quality and prices to Samsung. With LG it's a long shot and it would take a substantial investment by Apple to do so. For Sharp and everyone else, it would seem impossible. Unless of course, Trump goads Kim Jong Un into war. 

Otherwise, Apple needs to work closely with Samsung. They don't really have any other choice. 

Cook made a huge mistake in banking on LCD. I always felt he should have approached LG when they were in discussions over building the panel for the watch to also expand OLED manufacturing to the iPhone and iPad. Alas, he did not. Samsung now has locked nearly everyone else out of the market. And it is hard to see any other technology competing with OLED for the foreseeable future. Not with the investments and advancements Samsung is making in the technology. Perhaps Samsung may be willing to sell Apple their most advanced panels if Cook moves the A series line of SOCs back to Samsung fabs. 

It is even worse on the Android side of the equation. Perhaps Xiaomi and Huawei might be able to purchase those panels for an agreement to put Tizen on their devices. It is very doubtful Samsung sells panels to manufacturers that compete with their own devices without a little additional "incentive." 
    Right... And when MicroLed comes, and it is coming, you'll just sing a god damn other tune...
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

1. Sharp now owned by Foxconn, which does have a few Display Panel Subsidiary and are making inroads on OLED.

2. LG didn't / couldn't make the OLED that Apple wants, LG now basically own the large OLED Panel market. But it is Samsung with AMOLED that is winning the OLED Panel on Smartphones, along with a few other Chinese manufacture. LG are testing their P-OLED this year on their flagship, once it is perfected Apple will likely use them.

3. One have to remember last year the world only ships around 250M OLED Smartphone. That is of all sort of quality standards. And Apple wanted some of the best quality with huge volume and No one could offer it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Tim Cook is the best thing that happened to Apple in the post Steve Jobs era.

• Reply 15 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ksec said:

1. Sharp now owned by Foxconn, which does have a few Display Panel Subsidiary and are making inroads on OLED.

2. LG didn't / couldn't make the OLED that Apple wants, LG now basically own the large OLED Panel market. But it is Samsung with AMOLED that is winning the OLED Panel on Smartphones, along with a few other Chinese manufacture. LG are testing their P-OLED this year on their flagship, once it is perfected Apple will likely use them.

3. One have to remember last year the world only ships around 250M OLED Smartphone. That is of all sort of quality standards. And Apple wanted some of the best quality with huge volume and No one could offer it.
    They are all AMOLED. When we speak about OLED, it’s assumed.