AT&T launching beta of DirecTV Now DVR functionality, including iPhone & Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AT&T has launched a round of beta testing for its DirecTV Now streaming service DVR, and is inviting select iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV customers to participate.

First spotted by Cord Cutters News on Friday, selectees not only must have a DirecTV Now account, but a fill AT&T account as well. The requirement for an AT&T account means that the beta is limtied to DirecTV Now subscribers with wireless service, or home internet from the company.

Following response to the email, users are directed to a second page, asking what platforms that the users wish to test the service on. The test uses a different app than the main service, that only accepts the aforementioned AT&T account credentials.

A larger opt-in beta will be made available to all subscribers in the fall. Beta testers can still use the older version of the app, should they find limited functionality.

AT&T launched DirecTV Now in November 2016, and pulled in more than 200,000 paying subscribers within one month of its launch, possibly due to a promotion involving a free fourth-generation Apple TV. At launch, the service suffered from a number of performance issues, with users locked out from streaming content and feeds interrupted during peak viewing times.

The service dropped Safari compatibility for streaming in the beginning of June, providing no reasons for the shift.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    I'm very happy with DTVNow's $35 introductory offer and free AT&T cellular streaming. And it's the only streaming service that includes The Tennis Channel.

Have you tried Youtube TV? I have. Very slick UI, but too slick IMHO--busy, quirky and I dislike its minimized video windows. And when I encountered a problem with the system identifying my home location for live channels, Google support staff recommended I cancel the service and re-register using a different e-mail. (Unbelievable!)
    edited August 2017 azentropybshankSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Waiting for reviews on this. I tried the initial rollout for all of 3 days...terrible. But I long for the ability to cut off TWC née Spectrum.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    Still DUNG.

because you can't fast forward commercials.

When this came out last year they said DVR coming soon................it probably won't come out till a FULL YEAR since release.

Never trust AT&T assholes. never
    I expect you're gonna say shitz like that. Nothing will beat your Sony Vue 🙄
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Waiting for reviews on this. I tried the initial rollout for all of 3 days...terrible. But I long for the ability to cut off TWC née Spectrum.
    It's gotten allot better with more support for signing up with the networks apps and the lineup is hard to beat if you can get the introductory price, but yeah... lots 'O commercials and a mediocre interface. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Their Terms of Service are unacceptable and the app was removed from all of our devices. AT&T is in legal trouble over taking money/time from customers leaving them no recourse but to go through exhaustive arbitration practices and their response has been that nobody forced the customers to accept their Terms of Service.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    Does anyone have any information on how to enroll in this beta program? With both AT&T wireless and DirecTV Now I do believe that I would meet the eligibility requirements. I spoke with an AT&T employee in store and he assured me that the DVR feature was "coming soon." Several friends that I convinced to grab the free Apple TV + DirecTV Now are thinking of dropping the service because of the lack of DVR... would be great to get a fix even if it is in the infancy/ beta stages of things.