AT&T strikes deal to bring CBS networks, Showtime to DirecTV Now

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AT&T on Monday announced a new deal with CBS that will bring streaming and on-demand content from a number of popular networks to DirecTV Now, including CBS News, CBS Sports Network, The CW, Pop and Showtime.

Along with live streaming video from nearly 25 local CBS and The CW stations, DirecTV customers will gain on-demand access to catalogs from CBS, The CW, Pop and Showtime, according to a press release.

"This is another key milestone in bringing DirecTV Now users access to their favorite entertainment, news and sports from all of the major broadcast networks," said Daniel York, SVP and chief content officer of AT&T Entertainment Group. "As we add more live national and local channels, we know even more people will choose DirecTV Now as their go-to streaming service."

Station availability is determined by subscription tier, with CBS and The CW content accessible on all packages. Subscribers signed up for the "Just Right" plan or higher can watch shows from Pop, while those paying for "Go Big" get access to CBS Sports Network. Showtime, a premium cable channel, is an $8 per month add-on.

Live CBS and The CW coverage is rolling out in stages, with the first batch set to include stations in:
  • New York
  • Los Angeles
  • Chicago
  • Philadelphia
  • Dallas - Ft. Worth
  • San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
  • Boston
  • Detroit
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul
  • Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
  • Denver
  • Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Calif.
  • Pittsburgh
  • Baltimore
Along with the CBS deal, AT&T announced upcoming DirecTV Now availability for at least 30 additional ABC, FOX and NBC affiliates.

DirecTV Now debuted in November 2016, raking in more than 200,000 paying subscribers in just one month. Some believe the rapid uptake can be attributed to AT&T's promotional offer of a free Apple TV for new subscribers.

In related news, CBS today announced a worldwide expansion of its CBS All Access digital video on-demand and live streaming subscription service. Canada will be the first international region to see availability in the first half of 2018, with other regions to follow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That's great news, although I had learned to live without CBS. 
    It's another reason to keep my DIRECTV Now but I need single sign-on support. C'mon AT&T...
    When does it start streaming?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    So does this include other Viacom Channels like Comedy Central Etc?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jay3000 said:
    Comedy Central is already part of the service. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    In other news, the last episode of Game of Thrones rocked.  :D
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jay3000jay3000 Posts: 21member
    jay3000 said:
    Comedy Central is already part of the service. 
    Ohh ok was it originally? I could have sworn it wasn’t when it first came out. Well that’s good to know.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Given the DREADFUL experience I had with DTVNOW earlier this year and the hassle it was to get a full refund for a product that didn't work as advertised, I couldn't bring myself to go back anytime soon. They'd have to give me a FREE trial to see if things have improved.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    DirecTV Now is slowly reducing my need for Plex Live TV, which I have been using for local channels. NBC is the only major network we are missing in Denver. What I don't understand is how AT&T Sports Network is not an option for Regional Sports networks. You'd think that would have been available before CBS.