Developer hacks tvOS Simulator to run clean 4K, resolution likely limited to 2017 Apple TV...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Images published on Tuesday show Apple's tvOS Simulator hacked to run at 4K resolution, suggesting that Apple likely has little interface work to do to support a fifth-generation Apple TV believed to be coming this fall.

"Pro tip: if you're making art for tvOS, I'd be adding @2x elements already just to be prepared," said developer Steve Troughton-Smith, the source of the images. The current Apple TV runs at 1080p resolution, and pixel-doubling that results in 4K content -- specifically 3,840 by 2,160 pixels.

For tvOS app developers, it should be an "easy transition, same as original Retina iPhone," Troughton-Smith said. The developer noted that "even upscaled images look fine, and especially on a TV screen."

Code uncovered in Apple's HomePod firmware recently revealed plans for a 4K Apple TV, which should also support high dynamic range (HDR) in 10-bit, Dolby Vision and HLG formats. It's not certain when the device will ship, but previous rumors have hinted towards the fall.

The Apple TV has lagged behind other media players in terms of picture output. Amazon's Fire TV, Google's Chromecast Ultra, and Roku's Premiere and Ultra models all support 4K and usually HDR, even though some of the options cost as little as $69 -- well under the Apple TV's $149 minimum.

The A8 processor in the fourth-generation Apple TV isn't powerful enough to make a 4K software update for it "worthwhile," Troughton-Smith suggested. Apple will presumably bump a fifth-gen set-top up to the A9 used in the iPhone 6s -- the first iPhone to support 4K recording, though not playback -- or the A10 used in the iPhone 7. The "A11" from this year's "iPhone 8" is unlikely, since using older hardware helps keep the Apple TV's price down.
SpamSandwich

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I hope Apple add 4K as well as UHD options to the next generation Apple TV.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I'm sure Apple's next generation AppleTV will surely support everything that most streaming boxes already support. It appears 4K HD TVs are becoming rather common and have relatively low prices. 1080p is on its way out. Apple would have no excuse not to support 4K on the AppleTV.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    What is "clean 4K"? Is this something different than 4K? Is there a dirty 4K? The headline was never explained in the article. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    What is "clean 4K"? Is this something different than 4K? Is there a dirty 4K? The headline was never explained in the article. 
    Meaning it doesn't play 'adult content'. /s I really have no idea.
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    My guess is outputting actual 2160p content, hence the 2x statement, as opposed to upscaling 1080p.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Soli said:
    My guess is outputting actual 2160p content, hence the 2x statement, as opposed to upscaling 1080p.
    Probably right. The correct term would be Native 4K Resolution, not clean.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I do recall the A8 in the iPhone 6 and 4th-gen Apple TV having native HEVC 4K decoding capabilities at time of launch in 2014. It was limited in software to only FaceTime (over cellular only) on iPhone 6. https://ngcodec.com/news/2014/9/11/the-new-iphone-6-using-the-h265-video-codec
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 8 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I do recall the A8 in the iPhone 6 and 4th-gen Apple TV having native HEVC 4K decoding capabilities at time of launch in 2014. It was limited in software to only FaceTime (over cellular only) on iPhone 6. https://ngcodec.com/news/2014/9/11/the-new-iphone-6-using-the-h265-video-codec
    If it was only FaceTime then it's only 4K. HEVC ≠ 4K. The 4K video recording that eventually came to the iPhone was H.264.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Any thoughts on whether the new Apple TV might support new sound tech as well, such as Dolby Atmos?