Apple's 'iPhone 8' may silence notification sounds when users are paying attention

Posted:
in iPhone
The latest code discovery to emerge from Apple's HomePod firmware may hint that the "iPhone 8" will silence notification sounds when a person is looking at their device -- possibly taking advantage of the phone's 3D facial recognition technology.

The feature is suggested by multiple references linking a "TLAttentionAwarenessObserver" class to changes in volume, according to Brazilian iOS developer Guilherme Rambo. One code string includes the term "supportsAttentuatingTonesForAttentionDetected," while another uses "updateAudioVolumeDynamicallyForAlert."

While it's not certain that auto-silenced notifications will appear in the shipping version of iOS 11, or even that the code refers to eye detection, the known presence of facial recognition on the "iPhone 8" would make that feature relatively easy to implement. Other code references suggest that Apple's technology will at least be able to automatically unlock a phone, and will likely serve functions throughout iOS, including Apple Pay.

It may also be able to scan faces from unusual angles, such as resting on a desk. Someone wanting to check an app might only have to glance over at their phone to unlock it, instead of using Touch ID or entering their passcode.

Apple should ship the "iPhone 8" sometime this fall -- possibly as soon as September, though production issues could force a delay or at least limited quantities at launch. Its signature feature should be an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED display, omitting a physical home button in favor of a virtual one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I really hope that apple put embedded touch id on the screen let's beat samsung 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    It's the accretion of many such subtle and nuanced features that go a long way toward end user satisfaction, much to the befuddlement of competitors...
    JanNLMetriacanthosaurusStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    thrang said:
    It's the accretion of many such subtle and nuanced features that go a long way toward end user satisfaction, much to the befuddlement of competitors...
    Was thinking the same, all those small refinements are making the whole user experience better. Typically Apple!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Just a basic setting to stop the phone vibrating when on a phone call would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    There is no Touch ID. This product was designed from the ground up to not need it at all. Face ID sounds like it will be a huge leap forward out in front of anything else on the market.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 14
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    I'm more bothered by vibrations automatically ending my video recording.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    iPhone Pro could also PROVIDE notifications when the user is paying attention. Siri could say "You're looking good today, Dave." Or "Dave, it might be a good idea to run a comb through your hair. And this is the third day in a week you've worn that T-shirt."
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    There is no Touch ID. This product was designed from the ground up to not need it at all. Face ID sounds like it will be a huge leap forward out in front of anything else on the market.
    Yup. I have a feeling this tech will make it to the Apple Watch by the Series 4 model as well. It would certainly solve some issues.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    To me its kind of annoying when my phone, watch and MacBook all announce the same phone call at the same time. All within 36 inches of each other.
    edited August 2017 StrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rossgggrossggg Posts: 12member
    Why has nobody brought up the fact that FaceID would allow anyone to unlock your phone just by pointing it at your face, whether you intended to give them access or not?
    joey_alias
  • Reply 11 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Screw any primary focus to beat Samsung. Let's get Touch ID behind the display if that feature is throughly vetted and progress over the current Touch ID. "Me first!" does not give me confidence in a company, especially when it comes to technology.
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    rossggg said:
    Why has nobody brought up the fact that FaceID would allow anyone to unlock your phone just by pointing it at your face, whether you intended to give them access or not?
    Because it's obvious? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Touch ID would let someone subdue you and then use your finger to unlock. This is why biometrics will always be a convenience feature over a code that you keep locked away in your brain.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 13 of 14
    rossggg said:
    They could have Iris sensors that will detect if you are actually looking at your phone or not. Or if not, the 3D sensors could detect if you're not facing the iPhone and then reject access.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    joey_aliasjoey_alias Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I feel that the new way of unlocking your iPhone (Pro) is via FaceID AND you 3D-Touch the screen. This will somewhat simulate TouchID.