Apple shares 'Carpool Karaoke' ads featuring Ariana Grande, Seth MacFarlane, 'Game of Thro...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
After last week's "Carpool Karaoke" debut, Apple on Tuesday posted two new teasers for upcoming episodes featuring Ariana Grande and Seth MacFarlane, and "Game of Thrones" stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner.

The pair of ads published to Apple's official YouTube channel tease upcoming episodes of "Karaoke," which launched last Tuesday with a premiere starring Will Smith and show creator James Corden.

In a first ad, Williams and Turner are seen performing vehicular singing sessions to songs like Justin Bieber's "Sorry" and Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball." Incidentally, Cyrus and her family are set to star in their own "Karaoke" episode to be released in the coming weeks.

The "Thrones" stars also take a trip to what appears to be HBO: The Escape. An attraction at this year's SXSW festival, HBO's installation was an escape-the-room experience based around the network's shows, including "Veep" and "Silicon Valley."

At one point, Williams and Turner take position as dummies in the "Game of Thrones" section, popping out of dirty rags to surprise passersby. Similar out-of-the-car adventures were teased in past previews, and are in part what sets Apple Music's version apart from the original "Karaoke" sketch as seen on "The Late Late Show with James Corden."

The second commercial features Ariana Grande and Seth MacFarlane, who are shown traveling around Los Angeles singing show tunes like "Suddenly, Seymour" from "Little Shop of Horrors" and "Loathing" from "Wicked."

Apple has a slate of 16 "Karaoke" episodes primed to debut on Apple Music. A laundry list of celebrities are attached to the project, including Metallica, Shaquille O'Neal, John Legend, John Cena, Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Joe Jonas, Ice Cube and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Cringe+Krringe ^2

How  can this happen ? 
    edited August 2017 trashman69
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I just think Apple Music is the wrong platform for this. Music videos at a push maybe but original programming like this should be on a dedicated TV/Video service imho.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I tried to watch both clips.
    i really tried. it was just too annoying. 
    25 seconds in - I felt like throwing my iPad 
    out the window.
    Is it just me?
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Without Corden, I'll pass. I predict very uneven performances.
    palegolasjony0
  • Reply 5 of 7
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    macgui said:
    Yeah, where the x is James Corden?
    The whole reason it's an amazing show is that James Corden is so brilliant, and charming, and funny, and he makes people gradually feel comfortable.. He's a genuinely great host. It's so much fun. I was under the impression Corden was part of this whole Carpool Karaoke Apple deal. Now it looks like shit.
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 7
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This is very targeted programs. People that like those singers and actors will watch it, others will not.
    It reaches this goal pretty easily.

Its not made for a wide public to just pick up a random one.

The one about musicals seems like a lot of fun :-). I love musicals.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    palegolas said:
    macgui said:
    Yeah, where the x is James Corden?
    The whole reason it's an amazing show is that James Corden is so brilliant, and charming, and funny, and he makes people gradually feel comfortable.. He's a genuinely great host. It's so much fun. I was under the impression Corden was part of this whole Carpool Karaoke Apple deal. Now it looks like shit.
    Corden sold this to Apple. He was/will be in one, but it's Apple's property now.

But agreed he made it worth watching. He's smart, funny, can sing, and knows all the words, and got great stuff from his carpool buddies.

Apple has change a major premise of the bit by not having a host (or a permanent one). While it would be tough to find Corden's equal, there's virtually no chance with a revolving or non-host model.

Regardless, as it's music-centric, I think having it on Apple Music is a perfectly sound decision. Not having it on Apple TV is a less sound decision, unless you consider Tim is doing as much as possible to promote AM.