AT&T revives free Apple TV offer for new DirecTV Now subscribers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2017
AT&T on Wednesday renewed a promotional plan that offers new DirecTV Now customers a free 32GB Apple TV when they sign up for a three-month paid subscription.

Originally a limited time offer available to customers when DirecTV Now launched last year, the Apple TV giveaway has been revived. AT&T quietly announced the promotion's continuation in a post to its community support forums.

There is a catch to AT&T's offer, however. Unlike the initial promotion, the current offer is not available online or through the DirecTV Now app, meaning customers need to subscribe at an AT&T store or authorized retailer, or call AT&T directly.

For AT&T wireless subscribers on unlimited plus or choice plans, the Apple TV offer can be stacked with the firm's $25 video loyalty credit. That amount can be put toward the requisite upfront subscription price, which comes out to $105 for the lowest DirecTV tier.

After a bumpy launch, DirecTV Now garnered 200,000 subscribers in its first month of service.

The streaming platform provides users with a slate of popular cable channels including properties owned by AMC, Discovery, Disney, NBCUniversal and Viacom, among others. Most recently, AT&T this month struck a deal with CBS to carry streaming and on-demand content from CBS News, CBS Sports Network, The CW, Pop and Showtime.

Along with Apple TV, DirecTV Now supports a wide variety of internet-connected devices including Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, iPhone, iPad, Android hardware, Chromecast (Android at launch; iOS in 2017) and Google Cast-enabled LeEco ecotvs and VIZIO SmartCast Displays. Subscribers can also access programming through web browsers like Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

AT&T's offer is available while supplies last, and devices ship out within two to three weeks of placing an order.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I hope DirecTV Now supports single sign-on soon.

redgeminipaDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 2 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Be honest, after 10 months with DTV Now, the streaming didn't  improve at all. Changing channels takes the fuck long to buffer and I have 100+mbps connection, wired!
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 3 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm missing something here:
    I thought Apple TV was strictly based on internet streaming of content driven by apps -- while Direct TV was strictly cable like TV programming.

Does Direct TV provide internet streaming?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    I thought Apple TV was strictly based on internet streaming of content driven by apps -- while Direct TV was strictly cable like TV programming.

Sorry bro. Unless you are sarcastic, looks like you living under rock. Simple google/bing search would have answered it. Next month when 5th gen ATV is announced, hope AT&T would offer the similar deal
    edited August 2017 redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 17

Yes, DirecTV Now is a streaming service with an app for the 4th Gen Apple TV, and other platforms, as the article states. I've had it since December. I can't say I have the same experience as Fallenjt above. It's definitely better today than it was at launch. It's not often we have issues, even with buffering. We do have 120Mbps broadband, but still. At this point, I'd say the issues we have with DTVN are comparable to the number of issues we have with Netflix or Hulu.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    So, the deal isn't nearly as good as it was. There's no mention of getting the Go Big for $35, as was offered before as part of this deal. That was the bargain. AT&T probably lost money on the deal for all of those who only jumped on it to get the Apple TV for $105, then cancelled service after the 3 months were up.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I hope GSN, DIY Network and HGTV let DierectTV Now and Sling TV subscribers log on to their on demand content!  We talking serious subscribe base now of over 3/4 of million subscribers for both competing streaming services!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    I hope GSN, DIY Network and HGTV let DierectTV Now and Sling TV subscribers log on to their on demand content!  We talking serious subscribe base now of over 3/4 of million subscribers for both competing streaming services!
    Last I read Sling has more subscribers than DirectTV Now and Playstation Vue combined. They've done pretty well so far.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I had sling, switched to directTv which sucked at the beginning and is now more or less on par with sling (I had buffering issues with sling too which most folks don't)

When I lose the go big $35 plan I'll likely quit though and look for another option.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    sog35 said:
    Still no DVR
    'nuff said
  • Reply 11 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sog35 said:
    Still no DVR
    The DVR feature will be out in the fall. When that releases, DirecTV Now will also support 4K HDR streaming. 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I hope DirecTV Now supports single sign-on soon.

Single sign on is decided by the companies that own the channels, not by service provider.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    When I cut the cable in January I went with Sling TV but switched to DIRECTV Now. The service still seems buggy and the interface on the Web, iOS, Apple TV and Roku is not good. They have also dropped support for Safari, which required the use of Microsoft Silverlight. The only way to get the service on your Mac is with Google Chrome- Open Source Chromium will not work.

What I would like to see is a DIRECTV App for the Macintosh via the Mac App store so we can have a picture in picture window while doing stuff on the Mac. If their developers can write an iOS app they should be able to write a Mac app.

My preference is still for a la carte TV as I really only watch about 3-4 channels and not that much content. I think a la carte is coming, but right now the content owners are desperately trying to hold on to their bundles which make us subsidize channels that cannot stand on their own.
  • Reply 14 of 17

Yes, DirecTV Now is a streaming service with an app for the 4th Gen Apple TV, and other platforms, as the article states. I've had it since December. I can't say I have the same experience as Fallenjt above. It's definitely better today than it was at launch. It's not often we have issues, even with buffering. We do have 120Mbps broadband, but still. At this point, I'd say the issues we have with DTVN are comparable to the number of issues we have with Netflix or Hulu.
    I guess my question was not well stated....
    I was wondering if it is feasible to use Direct TV to replace a Comcast or FiOS cable in order to drive internet to PCs -- such as to read appleinsider rather than simply pushing internet based media?

From some articles I have seen it appears that it is possible to connect to an ISP through the DirectTV -- but I understand it is expensive and very, very slow...

I have very little interest in watching TV -- I tend to do it once a year or so just to keep in practice.  But I use my laptop, iPad and iPhone quite a bit to access internet based services -- like appleinsider.   So, could I feasibly replace my FiOS 50Mbps internet only cable with Direct TV?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

I was wondering if it is feasible to use Direct TV to replace a Comcast or FiOS cable in order to drive internet to PCs -- such as to read appleinsider rather than simply pushing internet based media?

From some articles I have seen it appears that it is possible to connect to an ISP through the DirectTV -- but I understand it is expensive and very, very slow...

I have very little interest in watching TV -- I tend to do it once a year or so just to keep in practice.  But I use my laptop, iPad and iPhone quite a bit to access internet based services -- like appleinsider.   So, could I feasibly replace my FiOS 50Mbps internet only cable with Direct TV?
    You could try an inexpensive and reliable Chromecast. Beam your screen directly to your TV, or "cast' media content (ie movies, music, etc) from your device to your big-screen. DirectTV doesn't seem like the solution you need. 

EDIT: On second read you're looking for a FIOS replacement? DirectTV Now has to use your ISP to push the service to your home. It doesn't replace your internet service provider but instead piggybacks to deliver media content like TV and movie. 
    edited August 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gatorguy said:

You could try an inexpensive and reliable Chromecast. Beam your screen directly to your TV, or "cast' media content (ie movies, music, etc) from your device to your big-screen. DirectTV doesn't seem like the solution you need. 

EDIT: On second read you're looking for a FIOS replacement? DirectTV Now has to use your ISP to push the service to your home. It doesn't replace your internet service provider but instead piggybacks to deliver media content like TV and movie. 
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Me thinks the internet/media world is too filled with greyish industry jargon that has no intrinsic meaning.   It's like reading a sales brochure...