First look: Adata SE730H portable USB-C SSD a good solution for external OS installs, Time...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
While small SSDs aren't new, ones with USB-C compatibility are. AppleInsider examines the forthcoming Data SE730H USB-C portable SSD.

SSD or Flash storage is great but it can be costly. When you buy a new MacBook Pro, budgets may not allow for a fully upgraded kit -- at least for AppleInsider staffers.

So, turning to external solutions for storage needs isn't uncommon. A RAID array of conventional hard drives allows for mass storage either locally or across the network, but isn't particularly portable. Cloud storage can get expensive in a hurry.

If you don't need double-digit terabytes, a portable SSD like the Adata SE730H is a good option.

Spec-wise, the SE730H uses 3D NAND in 256GB and 512GB capacities, and uses a second generation USB 3.1 type C connector with an included USB-C to USB-C cable. The drive is rated for IP68 dust and waterproofing, assuming the USB port door is closed.

The SE730H isn't widely available yet, but we've got one on hand. So far, we've used it for Time Machine, a Windows 10 install, an external MacOS Sierra install, and assorted file migration needs. We're pretty happy with performance.

The drive is rated by Adata at a max speed of 500MB/second, and initial testing of large file transfers is in that ballpark. Transfers containing smaller files look to be about 300 MB/sec, but that's not all that surprising.

Look for a more in-depth examination of the drive in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...indeed if mbp drives could be user changed this user would be very happy with a much larger if slower SATAII ssd at ~500MB/s (like the 1TB drives I already own), rather than the ~$600 premium for the 2GB/s screamer... Cut another ~$500 off for a touchbar less option and we are into the realm of a much more cost effective hardware performance upgrade. Add foreign exchange, inflexibility and external drive hassle on top of that and it all seems just a little much. Is this a computer 'for the rest of us'...?
    edited August 2017 coolfactor
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    I agree with you, Bobolicious, but only if Apple will also: (1) restore the SD card slot, (2) add one USB-A port, (3) give us a 3rd gen keyboard that actually feels good, (4) restore Magsafe somehow, (5) add an LED on the charger to show us it's actually charging, (5) perfect anti-palm rejection software so that silly black arrow pointer doesn't jiggle at all when you type, (6) restore the glowing Apple logo on back, (7) give us a bigger battery so we can get all day battery life even when using FCPX and Compressor, (8) finally give us a 32GB RAM option, and (9) use iOS display tech so the stupid antiglare coating won't come off (yes, people are reporting this even on 2017 models, just like MBP models made over the last several years). None of this is crazy or unthinkable or impossible. If Apple wants to gut their mobile machines, I say fine, so long as they do it on the MacBook and MacBook AIR lines. PRO features should never be gutted from the PRO. I'm all for USB-C TB3 ports, but there's plenty of room for legacy ports too, especially on the 15" model.
    xzuGeorgeBMacstevenoz
  • Reply 3 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    ... price?
    ajljoe28753stevenoz
  • Reply 4 of 24
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Earlier this year I replaced my older Lacie Rugged 256GB SSD disk with a Samsung T3 2TB for moving client work around. 

The Samsung T3 is much more attractive and a better shape for slipping into a small pocket in your bag. 

It was also my first USB-C device. And it completely sold me on USB-C. Love it. It's easy to carry one A to C cable for using with various devices (including my current MBP) and eventually that cable will be less necessary as USB-C takes over, and replaces several other cables I keep on hand (or even carry in my gig bag everyday). 

More options are better, but I prefer the Samsung at first glance. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    chasm said:
    ... price?
    When it ships, we'll know.
    xzu
  • Reply 6 of 24
    chasm said:
    ... price?
    How about NOT giving free publicity to these companies if they don't supply the price and also availability in the USA and Europe (at least).
    Make it a condition and if these people are serious and not just testing the market then they will cough up the price.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    chasm said:
    ... price?
    How about NOT giving free publicity to these companies if they don't supply the price and also availability in the USA and Europe (at least).
    Make it a condition and if these people are serious and not just testing the market then they will cough up the price.
    In conformance to your request, then apple insider shouldn't report on any iPhone, Mac or iPad rumors... After all, it's free publicity to Apple for non-shipping, non-priced products

The fact they actually got a test unit and reported real-world data is better than just quoting spec sheets.  The reporting could be better (a test bed comparison, operational kinks, failures etc), but i don't see where they crossed any ethical or journalistic lines.
    polymnia
  • Reply 8 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Competition is good, but how does it compare with the current gold master, which is, hands down, Samsung Portable SSD T5?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Looks like a great device in a small package. Should Apple spin off its computer division and rename it Dangle?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    jdw said:
    I agree with you, Bobolicious, but only if Apple will also: (1) restore the SD card slot, (2) add one USB-A port, (3) give us a 3rd gen keyboard that actually feels good, (4) restore Magsafe somehow, (5) add an LED on the charger to show us it's actually charging, (5) perfect anti-palm rejection software so that silly black arrow pointer doesn't jiggle at all when you type, (6) restore the glowing Apple logo on back, (7) give us a bigger battery so we can get all day battery life even when using FCPX and Compressor, (8) finally give us a 32GB RAM option, and (9) use iOS display tech so the stupid antiglare coating won't come off (yes, people are reporting this even on 2017 models, just like MBP models made over the last several years). None of this is crazy or unthinkable or impossible. If Apple wants to gut their mobile machines, I say fine, so long as they do it on the MacBook and MacBook AIR lines. PRO features should never be gutted from the PRO. I'm all for USB-C TB3 ports, but there's plenty of room for legacy ports too, especially on the 15" model.
    Yes, lets just to BACKWARDS with the MacBook Pro...

You also forgot to mention the 17" model. 
    fastasleepanome
  • Reply 11 of 24
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Hi folks, I have a question. If I want to replace an old backup device with a larger device, what is the best way to transfer those Time Machine files on the old backup device to the new one? The old backup device has some files that were deleted from the MBP. 
  • Reply 12 of 24
    appex said:
    Competition is good, but how does it compare with the current gold master, which is, hands down, Samsung Portable SSD T5?
    I believe the phrase you're looking for is "gold standard" -- and the T5 is not it yet. Nor do we have one to compare it to.

While USB SSDs aren't new, USB 3.1 type C SSDs are, and there is no current standard against which others should be judged.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    chasm said:
    ... price?
    In conformance to your request, then apple insider shouldn't report on any iPhone, Mac or iPad rumors... After all, it's free publicity to Apple for non-shipping, non-priced products

The fact they actually got a test unit and reported real-world data is better than just quoting spec sheets.  The reporting could be better (a test bed comparison, operational kinks, failures etc), but i don't see where they crossed any ethical or journalistic lines.
    This is a Hands on, which is just intended as a quick look at what it is, and what it can do. There'll be more later, with more in-depth benchmarks and whatnot.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    I upgraded my 1st gen rMBP with a larger SSD using an upgrade kit from Other World Computing.  It came with an enclosure for the original SSD.  Very fast and essentially a free drive.  
    The Samsung unit looks great but I'm not buying anything from them if I can help it.

coolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jdw said:
    1) I'll happily trade a few extra minutes of battery power for an SD slot.  +1 Apple
    2) Legacy USB port that wouldn't fit?  No thanks.  +1 Apple
    3) Keyboard is fine with me.  +/- Apple
    4) Magsafe was cool, but being able to charge from either side is better.  +1 Apple
    5) Indicator light to show charging status would be useful. -1 Apple
    5) It works perfectly for me.  Actually I have to go out of my way to test this by putting my hands in an awkward position to type, but it works perfectly. +1 Apple
    6) OMFG, are you serious?  I prefer the more discreet non-glowing back, but it's not a big deal either way. +/- Apple
    7) I love the size of my MacBook Pro and don't find it battery-limited.  If they had made it 1mm thicker with extra battery life, I would have been ok with that too.  +/- Apple
    8) The processor wasn't available from Intel. +/- Apple
    9) Never experienced a coating issue with any of my (8 or 9) Apple laptops.  +1 Apple

Final score +4 in favor of Apple.  Sorry jdw, you might not be the master of laptop design.
    anomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macxpress said:
    jdw said:
    Yes, lets just to BACKWARDS with the MacBook Pro...

You also forgot to mention the 17" model. 

And what about the floppy drive? I need a floppy drive!

appex said:
    I believe the phrase you're looking for is "gold standard" -- and the T5 is not it yet. Nor do we have one to compare it to.

While USB SSDs aren't new, USB 3.1 type C SSDs are, and there is no current standard against which others should be judged.
    I find it odd that you don't have one yet. The T5 is out this week, as far as I can tell. My local Officeworks has them already on display, but seemingly marked not yet availanble. I expect they'll change fairly soon.

The Western Digital equivalent, though, has recently come out. I'm waiting on pricing on the T5 before making any decisions.

Plus, the T3 was USB 3.1 type C. Although it was only Gen 1, the new ones (the WD and T5 at least) are supposedly Gen 2.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Sorry jdw, you might not be the master of laptop design.
    Actually, Apple just terminated Johnny Ive hired me to replace him.  
    Here's the new plan at Apple under my watch:

1. Our "thin-and-light" emphasis will be transitioned primarily to the MacBook and MacBook AIR lines.  The MBP line will remain thin and light, but removing of "PRO" features from the MBP is now a thing of the past. We will eliminate ports and hardware features only when they are truly no longer used by our professional users, which include video and photography enthusiasts.
    2. MacBook AIR will get a Retina display in the next version as well as a Space Gray option.
    3. We will restore the SD card slot and 1 USB-A port to the 15" MBP, while retaining the 4 USB-C TB3 ports; and we can do this without increasing size or thickness.
    4. Bezels around the display on all 3 product lines will be reduced to near zero -- similar to that of the DELL XPS line.
    5. MBP will get an OLED screen and a glowing Apple logo on back.  But this time the glowing Apple logo will be driven by its own light source so no light leakage or visual distortions will appear on the front of the display.  The other advantage to the separate light source is that it will allow us to empower the user to change the color of the Apple logo on back, since the illumination source will be RGB.  And yes, you will even be able to choose the legacy rainbow striped Apple logo if you like.  We will also introduce a new anti-glare coating that, like all of our iOS devices, will never come off over time.  And because OLED technology allows us to go thinner, we can retain the same display dimensions as we have now, while adding that great new functionality.
    6. The MBP 15" price point will remain the same, but we are restoring the extension cable.  We also are filing a new patent for a USB-C Magsafe solution that will blow your mind -- and yes, it will come with an LED to indicate charging.
    7. All customers unhappy about PRO functionality being restored to the MBP 15" will be directed to either the MBP 13" or MacBook or MacBook AIR product lines, which offer more than enough power and functionality for those customers who clearly have limited needs.
    8. External GPUs will not only be "supported" by Apple, but we will release our own Apple branded TB3 dock which will include a powerful dual GPU setup.
    9. We will be releasing our own external 5K display with onboard speakers and a TB3 hub built-in.  This will be our Apple-branded product, not some flawed product produced by our partners like LG.  It will be the world's first 30" OLED Retina display that's made for Mac with a design that is nothing short of the term "outstanding."
    10. The 15" MBP will no longer have a trackpad as we know them today.  The entire front end, in front of the keyboard, will be the "trackpad" and you will be able to use Apple Pencil on it as a graphics tablet.  And because this entire area is a touch sensitive surface, our anti-palm rejection software will function much better than on existing MBP models while typing.
    11. We will incorporate 3rd generation butterfly key switches to make typing feel significantly better.
    12. We found a way to fit a larger battery inside the existing chassis, such that the mA specification will match that of the 2015 MBP, offering greater battery life regardless of the apps you use and love.
    13. As you may expect, we have "one more thing" surprise features in store for the MBP line, but I cannot release details of those because we have to hide something stunning for the actual product release.  But suffice it to say, those new features will lure even die hard Windoze users to the Apple fold.

I would implore my fellow Mac users to stop worshipping the status quo and think beyond the box.  Only then can we create really great products again that appeal to an even broader audience of people.

Best wishes.
    edited August 2017 RobJenk
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jdw said:

At some point of time you have to come to the realisation that the MBP is probably not for you  and move on to a Linux/ Windows machine.

The moment I see someone requesting a USB-A port on the next MBP, I know that their love affair with the Macs will come to an end soon.

watto_cobrachiarandominternetperson
  • Reply 19 of 24

At some point of time you have to come to the realisation that the MBP is probably not for you  and move on to a Linux/ Windows machine.

The moment I see someone requesting a USB-A port on the next MBP, I know that their love affair with the Macs will come to an end soon.

At some point you folks need to realize that your needs are best served by the MacBook or MacBook AIR, not the MacBook Pro.  And once you finally realize that, you can leave the real "pros" well enough alone.  Stop trying to take away features from other people that you yourself don't need.  Get the stripped-down Mac that best suits you -- not a "pro" level Mac.
    RobJenk
  • Reply 20 of 24
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jdw said:

At some point you folks need to realize that your needs are best served by the MacBook or MacBook AIR, not the MacBook Pro.  And once you finally realize that, you can leave the real "pros" well enough alone.  Stop trying to take away features from other people that you yourself don't need.  Get the stripped-down Mac that best suits you -- not a "pro" level Mac.
    Consider the reciprocal to your demand: stop trying to add back features I don't want. I need a pro machine, but I don't need USB-A. You can tell me I'm wrong and I should go buy an Air instead, but you don't know me or my needs and I don't have to explain myself to you. Try to think outside yourself. 

You haven't retained Apple as your own personal tech design lab. They seem to be doing quite well following their current design strategies. As a shareholder, I'd prefer they continue the "out-with-the-old" philosophy as it seems to be profitable. As a prossional, I prefer to ditch old, legacy components on my laptop. Leave some USB-A on iMacs, minis & Mac Pros, no harm done. 
    edited August 2017 randominternetpersonanomechia