AirPods ship times drop to 2-3 weeks from Apple amid immediate availability from resellers...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
AirPods ship times from Apple's online store have dropped below one month for the first time since the popular headphones debuted more than eight months ago, though third-party resellers have stock available for immediate purchase.

Apple recently updated AirPods product pages around the world to reflect the improved delivery times, with many countries showing shipping estimates of two to three weeks.

The apparent stock increase arrives as Apple works to achieve supply and demand equilibrium for its wireless headphone device.

During the company's quarterly conference call for the third fiscal quarter of 2017, CEO Tim Cook said AirPods production capacity had been increased in a bid to better meet continued strong demand. The decision seems to be paying off, though Apple has yet to generate surplus adequate to bring ship times down to the usual next-day availability.

Announced at Apple's iPhone event last year, AirPods were initially slated to go on sale in October of 2016, but a series of delays pushed launch to December. Initial interest was intense, with one report claiming AirPods captured 26 percent of the wireless headphone market after launch.

While Apple struggles to stock its own stores, resellers have ample supply on hand for immediate sale. For those unwilling to wait the two to three weeks quoted by Apple, B&H Photo, Verizon and Abt.com all have units in stock for $159.

AirPods are slated to garner new functionality when iOS 11 sees release later this fall, with separate left and right AirPod tap gestures enabling customized access to Siri, as well as play/pause and audio track control.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Sure would be nice if the ones I ordered for my wife three weeks ago that were promised in six weeks would get accelerated. 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Ordered 6 weeks ago shipped finally today as the time drops to 2-3 weeks. D'oh
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I was lucky enough to have scored a pair a few months back. I haven't been using anything else since.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I wonder if they are selling them faster than ipods now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    propodpropod Posts: 67member

I don't own and have not tried the AirPods yet, but I wonder what you think Apple can improve with v2 of the AirPods? I use double tap ff >> and volume up/down regularly on my wired headphones, will that be implemented on the AirPods with iOS 11?

• Reply 6 of 17
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Placed my order on the 10th with an estimated delivery in mid-September. Checked order status just now, and it still shows the same original delivery estimate. So, whether you ordered two weeks ago, or are ordering now, it looks like they'll all be delivering around the same time.  :/
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 7 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    propod said:

I don't own and have not tried the AirPods yet, but I wonder what you think Apple can improve with v2 of the AirPods? I use double tap ff >> and volume up/down regularly on my wired headphones, will that be implemented on the AirPods with iOS 11?

Version 2 will simply just have better ship times...
  • Reply 8 of 17
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    macxpress said:
    propod said:

Version 2 will simply just have better ship times...
    And it will be magical...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    propod said:

You nailed it.  The lack of the tactile controls is the only downside of the AirPods.  AirPods are perfect for me (they fit comfortably and reliably), but I don't like having to reach for my phone to adjust the volume.  In theory, I could double-tap them and say "make it louder" (or whatever), but the former doesn't work 100% reliably and the latter makes me uncomfortable.  Give me a way to adjust the volume and stop/start/skip without talking and I'll buy AirPod 2s.
    propodjbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 17
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Over the last several months, I've found three pair of AirPods in stock at AT&T and Verizon online - each pair for myself, my mom, and my brother were delivered in two days after each order was placed.

I truly love my AirPods, but I do notice a repetitive, very faint and very brief burst of what I can best describe as a pulse of white noise when nothing is playing. I'll probably exchange them before the warranty is up as a result.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    sog35 said:
    propod said:

You nailed it.  The lack of the tactile controls is the only downside of the AirPods.  AirPods are perfect for me (they fit comfortably and reliably), but I don't like having to reach for my phone to adjust the volume.  In theory, I could double-tap them and say "make it louder" (or whatever), but the former doesn't work 100% reliably and the latter makes me uncomfortable.  Give me a way to adjust the volume and stop/start/skip without talking and I'll buy AirPod 2s.
    do you have an AppleWatch?  It works perfect to adjust volume/start/skip ect

I do.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Follow up: Ok, walk me through it.  It seems clunky rather than perfect, so maybe I'm missing something.  Suppose I'm listening to music on my phone while walking down the street.  What do I do on my watch to change the volume?  Is there a better way than: 1) tapping the side button to bring up the list of apps (or the circles of apps depending on the button). 2. find the right app.  3. tap the small circular volume indicator. 4. tap the + or the -.  Seems like there should be a quick tap-and-swipe or swipe-and-swipe way to do this like on the phone (swipe up from the button to immediately access the now-playing controls).

edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 17
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Despite the 6 week ship time for online orders (previously) if you really wanted them you could go to one of the online services which track Apple inventory by store, and sign up for alerts when stock arrives.  I did this back in May and was able to get a pair within a week.  Stock arrived at my closest couple of Apple Stores, I went online to buy with in-store delivery, and voila!

propod said:
    If there is an update to AirPods at all this fall/winter, I would expect it only to be related to more colours:)  Joking aside, having availability in jet black and/or matte black would be a strong boost to sales while not having to update the product otherwise.  Add in a couple other colours and Bob's your uncle for year 2 sales.  An obvious h/w update for next version would be Bluetooth 5.0 support.

Much can still be done in firmware with updates like we see in iOS 11.  Top of my wish list is for AppleTV to work seamlessly with AirPods in the way it works with other devices.  Next is a means to control volume directly.

Looking out more to the future, Apple (based on patent filings) looks to be going down the route of "augmented hearing".  You could have some onboard noise cancellation capabilities (such as is possible in ear buds), and perhaps some augmentation of real-world audio.
    edited August 2017 propod
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I found them at Best Buy and had them i an hour :)
  • Reply 14 of 17
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    propod said:

do you have an AppleWatch?  It works perfect to adjust volume/start/skip ect

I do.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Follow up: Ok, walk me through it.  It seems clunky rather than perfect, so maybe I'm missing something.  Suppose I'm listening to music on my phone while walking down the street.  What do I do on my watch to change the volume?  Is there a better way than: 1) tapping the side button to bring up the list of apps (or the circles of apps depending on the button). 2. find the right app.  3. tap the small circular volume indicator. 4. tap the + or the -.  Seems like there should be a quick tap-and-swipe or swipe-and-swipe way to do this like on the phone (swipe up from the button to immediately access the now-playing controls).

use Now Playing.

Tape side button and it should be the first App in the doc.  

Ok, but it's still clunky.  Compare changing volume on a touchbar MacBook Pro (touch and swipe) to doing the same on the Apple Watch (button press, two taps to get to the volume control, and then more taps to change the volume).  The latter is a very unsatisfying experience compared to the former.  Hopefully this gets addressed in software because you're right: the Apple Watch is the obvious control surface for AirPods.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I can't believe they have this long of a delay still. They either just can't make them very fast, or Apple is selling tons of them. I'll stick with my $20 pair of Bluetooth headset from Amazon. Sounds find. Pretty compact. and has Volume controls and Play/Pause button on it. Works fine for my needs. To me it seems like to much money for something that I hear sounds no better then Apple's wired Headsets, which are just OK, but without wires.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    sog35 said:
    Here is how they should improve AirPods:

Make the case a remote. 

Just a couple buttons for Pause/Play, skip, volume.  Just like the small remote on the wired headphones.

brilliant Sog.  I love my AirPods and will get an AppleWatch for improved controls.