Video purports to show testing of Apple 'iPhone 8' with rear-mounted Touch ID

Posted:
in iPhone
A video published on Tuesday allegedly shows Apple's "iPhone 8" in quality control testing -- with a rear-mounted Touch ID sensor, despite most recent rumors discounting that possibility.

The 10-second clip, originally posted to China's Weibo, shows a person pressing their finger on a phone's sensor and triggering diagnostics on a connected machine -- another identical phone is being loaded into the machine as the video ends. Both devices have Apple logos, and the "iPhone 8's" widely-expected vertical camera arrangement.

Most recent design leaks have indicated no obvious Touch ID sensor, suggesting that Apple plans to use 3D facial recognition as a full replacement. The company was at one point expected to embed a fingerprint sensor into the OLED display, but production problems may have pointed it elsewhere.

One possibility is that video is actually an old one depicting prototype units. It could also be showing knock-off products, or even the "iPhone 7s" or "7s Plus," though it's typically believed that those products will have horizontal cameras.

Two analyst reports have indicated the "iPhone 8" will only go into mass production in mid-September. The device could easily be in trial or low-level production, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Ol' Timmy really has doubled-down this time round. 
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 2 of 38
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    There not using Touch ID!

They just have there hand waiting to find out if they get a "PASS" of "FAIL" - that determines where they will need to take the phone. (The pass and fail routings are likely in different directions, one to the right and one to the left - it's critical that the technician get it correct)

Does anyone really think that phones are set up for Touch ID so that only a particular technician can run a test like this?

besides, it looks like an Apple logo not a Touch ID sensor.
    edited August 2017 radarthekatstanthemanddawson100RacerhomieX
  • Reply 3 of 38
    robjn said:

They just have there hand waiting to find out if they get a "PASS" of "FAIL" - that determines where they will need to take the phone. (The pass and fail routings are likely in different directions, one to the right and one to the left - it's critical that the technician get it correct)

Does anyone really think that phones are set up for Touch ID so that only a particular technician can run a test like this?

Maybe the Touch ID sensor is IN the Apple logo! 😱 *sarcasm* ... but low key wishes it were true...
  • Reply 4 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    602warren said:
    robjn said:
    Maybe the Touch ID sensor is IN the Apple logo! 😱 *sarcasm* ... but low key wishes it were true…
    If it is on the back, wouldn't the Apple logo be the first place you'd think they'd put it?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

One thing I can say about Apple, they are not going to test any Apple product with a PC, they would be testing with Apple products, they write all their test code and systems on a Mac, this is something Apple has done since day one of the Macs.

So does anyone really think this video is real, and it is a really apple product.

edited August 2017 watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 6 of 38
    sog35 said:
    I gotta say, I'd rather have rear TouchID then no TouchID.

Nope. And you'll forget all about it 3 minutes after using Face ID. Guaranteed.
    peterhartdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 38
    A video published on Tuesday allegedly shows Apple's "iPhone 8" in quality control testing -- with a rear-mounted Touch ID sensor, despite most recent rumors discounting that possibility.
    FYI - this is the only site still posting this nonsense about rear-Touch ID. It is well known to be a fake injection into the news cycle.

The iPhone 8 was designed from the start without Touch ID. This much should be abundantly obvious to anyone even sort of paying attention.
    robjn
  • Reply 8 of 38
    sog35 said:

I would not mind if the iPhone allows you to use:

1. Rear TouchID

2. Face ID

3. Passcode

This should cover all situations.

1. Cold weather or wet hands or dirty hands:  Face ID

2. Apple Pay:  TouchID

3. Phone on the desk face up:  FaceID

4. Phone on the desk face down: Rear TouchID

DAMN!!

I think I just cracked it!  With a combination of Rear TouchID and Face ID its even better then the standard front touch ID.

you missed the use case of gloves and ski mask
    wreighven
  • Reply 9 of 38
    I hope it's true that there's another option for TouchID, as much as I don't like it being on the back. Or is it sensing the wireless charging? 

There has to be a backup plan to the facial recognition - it seems too risky to try to replace a proven/widely used tech for something unproven and not widely adopted yet. Can you imagine if there was a bug that was found with the scanning tech once it was released? Apple's stock would plummet! It's kind of like how you have TouchID but can still use a passcode (even a 4 digit one) - there has to be a backup or progressive way to eventually deprecate. I hope this is so!

Now as for on the back. It does seem like the tester is placing their finger and the machine shows a reading.  If it's TouchID, would it makes sense if the rumors are true that the back is all glass and the entire back could be a big TouchID (and doesn't matter where you place your finger)? Or is it possible that wireless charging tech can sense a finger?
  • Reply 10 of 38
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

1. Rear TouchID

2. Face ID

3. Passcode

DAMN!!

I think I just cracked it!  With a combination of Rear TouchID and Face ID its even better then the standard front touch ID.

damn bro. There goes Apple's foothold in the bank robber market

no the ski slops which is one of the places I need lots of iphones, at least hey siri works on that case to call for help when you down on the slop.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

1. Rear TouchID

2. Face ID

3. Passcode

DAMN!!

How do you do that now? I don't think you can via a TouchID, but I believe you can buy gloves that work with the screens and then type in the passcode.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    sog35 said:
    FYI - this is the only site still posting this nonsense about rear-Touch ID. It is well known to be a fake injection into the news cycle.

The iPhone 8 was designed from the start without Touch ID. This much should be abundantly obvious to anyone even sort of paying attention.
    So how would you do ApplePay at a store with FaceID?

Would it scan your face first and then place over the creditcard machine?

What if you lose weight?  Your face can get smaller or bigger?

The biometric points taken to create your profile do not change due to weight gain or loss. That's my understanding anyway.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Wouldn't a rear touch sensor cause problems with iPhone car and bike mounts which would be quite impractical to reach the iPhone back once the iPhone is mounted? I'm sure this has been mentioned before about the problem of mounting a fingerprint scanner on the back of any smartphone. The thing is, all the supposed cases I've seen shown for the rumored iPhone 8 don't have a cutout for a rear fingerprint sensor. Whatever. We'll all know for certain within a couple of months.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The person is touching well below the Apple logo not on the logo.  
  • Reply 15 of 38
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

1. Rear TouchID

2. Face ID

3. Passcode

DAMN!!

damn bro. There goes Apple's foothold in the bank robber market

no the ski slops which is one of the places I need lots of iphones, at least hey siri works on that case to call for help when you down on the slop.
    bro, nothing i hate more than some dude sking and texting at the same time!

actually I tend to have the glove and mask riding the chair lift, its damn cold on the ride back up the mountain
  • Reply 16 of 38
    maestro64 said:

One thing I can say about Apple, they are not going to test any Apple product with a PC, they would be testing with Apple products, they write all their test code and systems on a Mac, this is something Apple has done since day one of the Macs.

So does anyone really think this video is real, and it is a really apple product.

PCes (Win XP out of all OSes) are the defacto standard in factories, so that really doesn't rule it out. Also the fact that the person is wearing a glove on one hand and touches the phone with the ungloved hand does make me think it is some sort of sensor test, not to mention the WAY he touches it.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 38
    robjn said:

Watch the video again.. you can clearly see him deliberately and carefully place his index finger on the apple logo.
    To be honest that would be ingenious by Apple to use their logo as the Touch ID sensor.

They have recently been pushing Apple Pay all over the world. More and more third-party apps are starting to support Touch ID, like my bank and credit report apps.
    Just look at a number of stores that have recently start supporting Apple Pay. 
    Plus, the Touch Bar MacBook Pro models literally just incorporated Touch ID last year.

Why would they go and completely scrap Touch ID?

Doing that would be counterproductive. People who are using Apple Pay for the convenience of Touch ID could go back to other payment solutions. 

Plus, if it's gonna be a premium model with a premium price, something like this would help justify the price. 

But, of course, the Face Unlock can also be used for Apple Pay, like for going through a drive through, for example. 

It may not be the primary way of unlocking your iPhone, but I can see many people complaining if there are issues with the Face unlock, slamming Apple for getting rid of Touch ID. This way, Apple has a secondary means of unlocking the device, 
  • Reply 18 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Wouldn't a rear touch sensor cause problems with iPhone car and bike mounts which would be quite impractical to reach the iPhone back once the iPhone is mounted? I'm sure this has been mentioned before about the problem of mounting a fingerprint scanner on the back of any smartphone. The thing is, all the supposed cases I've seen shown for the rumored iPhone 8 don't have a cutout for a rear fingerprint sensor. Whatever. We'll all know for certain within a couple of months.
    If you are mounting the device, I take it there is a reason for mounting it. Usually for hands-free operation and being able to view the screen. Perhaps Maps guidance.

In those cases the screen will not turn off.

In other cases you have trusted voice and trusted Bluetooth to unlock the screen.

You also need to consider how people use their phones. I have no mount and my phone spends a lot of time in my hand. A rear placed sensor is perfect for me. You could have different uses.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 19 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    602warren said:
    robjn said:

Maybe the Touch ID sensor is IN the Apple logo! 😱 *sarcasm* ... but low key wishes it were true...
    Maybe it is.    Maybe it is a supplement to video recognition which is probably smart considering the new tech involved.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    The speed of the computing and PASS result suggest 1st gen Touch ID... 2nd gen Touch ID is much faster than that.

and for that reason, I call BS.