Apple's Tim Cook to visit Des Moines for announcement of Iowa data center

Posted:
in iCloud
Apple CEO Tim Cook is reportedly visiting Des Moines, Iowa on Thursday to help announce a new data center in Waukee, which will cost some $1.375 billion and occupy two buildings across 2,000 acres of land.

Apple's new build will occupy a portion of the red area.
Apple's new build will occupy a portion of the red area.

A press conference outside the Iowa Statehouse is scheduled for 12:15 p.m. Central time, the director of the Iowa Economic Development Authority told the Des Moines Register. At 1:30, Cook will join Governor Kim Reynolds in visiting students at the Waukee Innovation and Learning Center.

Although the data center is expected to create just 50 jobs -- each paying at least $29.12 -- state and local officials are reportedly awarding the company with $213 million in incentives. That includes a 20-year, 71 percent property tax abatement from the Waukee City Council, estimated to be worth over $188 million.

Apple will however have to provide $500,000 per building, per year to a public improvement fund, until "certain maximum contributions" are made.

As with the company's other data centers, Apple is planning to power the Waukee facility entirely using renewable energy, though it's not clear if Apple intends to use wind, solar, some other source, or a mix of several. Typically the company skews towards solar.

Apple's other U.S. data centers are based in California, Nevada, Oregon, and North Carolina. Outside the country is an operation in China, while two more are being pursued in Denmark and Ireland.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I would imagine they'll use wind power, that's very prevalent in that part of the state.  
  • Reply 2 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    A "public improvement fund", eh? Yes, the public are definitely in need of improvement. :smiley: 

I'm guessing that's public "land" improvement fund or something?
    edited August 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 8
    A "public improvement fund", eh? Yes, the public are definitely in need of improvement. :smiley: 

I'm guessing that's public "land" improvement fund or something?

Here's the legal definition for Ohio.  I assume other states have similar definitions.  http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1311.25 ; "Public improvement" means any construction, reconstruction, improvement, enlargement, alteration, demolition, or repair of a building, highway, drainage system, water system, road, street, alley, sewer, ditch, sewage disposal plant, water works, and any other structure or work of any nature by a public authority." 

In other words, "here's $1 million/year to add to your infrastructure budget."

• Reply 4 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Any word on where in the 2k acres they will have buildings?

2) I don't understand the reason for having the red sections. Is that the entire city or county which can't be narrowed down at this point? Is that just a photo found online? Is Apple going to own all 2k acres but only have buildings in a small part of the area purchased?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Soli said:

2) I don't understand the reason for having the red sections. Is that the entire city or county which can't be narrowed down at this point? Is that just a photo found online? Is Apple going to own all 2k acres but only have buildings in a small part of the area purchased?
    How large an area would solar panels cover to meet the necessary fraction of the power requirements?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Soli said:

My guess is that is zoning areas, the red zones are available for commercial/business construction. The blue areas to the left may be reserved for utilities for example. Or maybe I've been playing too much SimCity.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    adm1 said:
    Soli said:

My guess is that is zoning areas, the red zones are available for commercial/business construction. The blue areas to the left may be reserved for utilities for example. Or maybe I've been playing too much SimCity.
    LOL, tip, move on from SimCity to Cities Skylines, the zoning is far better as is the game. ;)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    rhinotuff said:
    I would imagine they'll use wind power, that's very prevalent in that part of the state.  
    They may not build any wind or solar stations there but instead simply buy the renewable energy credits offered by the power company servicing that area, or use the ones they've have already bought but not yet used. The power they consume might still factually come from non-renewable sources but they are at least paying into and encouraging green-energy investment and under currently understood definitions can legitimately say they are powered by renewable energy.

But in truth most of Apple's power still comes from traditional "dirty" sources as I've read it, just as it is with other techs like Google who makes the same general claim. Buying and trading green-energy credits/certificates, which perhaps some might see as a little accounting sleight-of-hand, is what legitimizes it. At least the tech's are pushing for more investment into renewable sources, and spending some of their own money to help make it happen.
    edited August 2017