AppleInsider Podcast talks 'iPhone 8' release date, 4K Apple TV, and interviews the CEO of...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2017
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mike talk about "iPhone 8" release dates, and the possibility of a 4K Apple TV. Also, Victor interviews Gleb Budman, CEO of the popular backup service, Backblaze.com.

AppleInsider editors Mike Wuerthele and Victor Marks discuss:

• Deals! save $300 on 12 inch Macbooks, 27" iMacs and 13" TouchBar Macbook Pro - link below
  • The latest tvOS beta hints at a 4K Apple TV. What's the landscape even like for 4K and competing devices?
  • Amazon and Roku's players are up year over year. Chromecast is losing ground. Victor thinks the AppleTV is hurt by the $50 to $100 premium over the cost of other devices.
  • A video purports to show a calibration machine with TouchID embedded in the Apple logo on the back. Mike is skeptical of this.
  • A carrier-sourced report claims September 12 as the date the announcement of 'iPhone 8' will be made. Mike pulls out the calendar to talk about what dates have been used in years' past. He's skeptical of this, too. Victor is less skeptical, rating this one as "possible."
  • Rumor: the 'iPhone 8' will come with 64, 256, and 512GB of storage, 3GB RAM. 512 seems like a stretch, but if it's the very expensive device we've been getting prepared for, it fits.
  • More talk about the possibility of low production in this fourth quarter of the year.
  • Victor's interview with Gleb Budman of Backblaze. Backups are hard. We talk about how they can be made easier, what costs are like, how everyone has to lose data to realize they need it, and pet rocks.
  • Victor and Mike disagree about Apple's work in the automotive space, while Apple is preparing a driverless employee shuttle.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mike_wuerthele and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Good podcast guys.

Mike, I don't think any of what you're saying is likely. I don't agree that Touch ID has anything to do with "bank adoption of apple pay" at all. It is an interchangeable bio-convenience feature that has core aspects that are the same as a replacement like Face ID. Secure element, token based transaction, encryption. Remember these features are just convenience items that allow you to not use a passcode/password. The security is the same.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Good podcast guys.

Mike, I don't think any of what you're saying is likely. I don't agree that Touch ID has anything to do with "bank adoption of apple pay" at all. It is an interchangeable bio-convenience feature that has core aspects that are the same as a replacement like Face ID. Secure element, token based transaction, encryption. Remember these features are just convenience items that allow you to not use a passcode/password. The security is the same.
    I think it is for you and I. However, entrenched industries who in some cases came to the table not completely from free will may be reluctant to change because of something Apple wants to do. See also, music, television, and movie industries.

Amplifying my position, the "secure element, token based transaction, encryption" are certainly the underpinnings of the technology, and Apple's ability to do the payment service. But, like the fire triangle, you take away one element, or the confidence in one, and the whole thing falls down.

We'll see.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Don't believe the so called "iPhone 8" will get 512GB storage. It may be 64GB and 256GB or 128GB and 256GB. Also, if it has 5.1" screen, it size would be even smaller than 4.7" iPhone. From the mock up so far, We haven't seen any comparison between the leaked screen with existing phones. I suspected that Apple may go up to 6" with this phone while the size is still smaller than iPhone 7+.