Four new Beats Solo3 colors coming to Apple, Target & John Lewis stores

Posted:
in General Discussion
Furthering an emphasis on fashion, Apple is reportedly launching four new colors for its Beats Solo3 headphones, available through first-party outlets, big-box retailer Target, and John Lewis in the U.K.

The options include "Break Blue," "Asphalt Gray," "Brick Red," and "Turf Green," according to the John Lewis website. There are normally just eight colors available, such as black, silver, gold, and (Product)Red.

At John Lewis, the colors are part of a "Neighbourhood" collection. They haven't yet appeared on Target's website, but are coming to the chain's menswear department, according to a MacRumors source. Another source indicated that Apple itself will carry them, and that some stores may already have stock. Indeed the John Lewis site refers to them as "exclusive to JL and Apple stores."

Apple often markets Beats products as much (or more) for their style as their performance. After the Beats takeover in 2014, for example, one of the first things it did was introduce colors matching the iPhone. More recently, the company has partnered with French fashion house Balmain on special versions of the Powerbeats3 and Studio Wireless.

The Solo3 was one of the first products to use the W1 wireless chip, which Apple boasts as offering better connection strength and power efficiency, as well as easier pairing with Apple devices. The chip can also be found in the BeatsX, Powerbeats3, and AirPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

That doesn't look very "brick red" to me (more like magenta), but maybe it looks different in person.

I find the "Beats is just about style" vibe to this story to be a bit off-putting.  Target and some UK retailer get exclusive access to 4 colors.  Of course that's a marketing/style decision; who would think otherwise.  But this is more about Apple giving 2 retailers a small, but distinct, advantage over other retailers than it is about Beats marketing, in my opinion.

• Reply 2 of 7
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Releasing AirPods in more colours this coming holiday season is the only update I think they need to continue with growth through to 2018, when a new model update would be practical.  AirPods in jet black (and/or matte black), and perhaps a gold variant, would fly off the shelves.
    watto_cobradsk1
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,026member
    New colors of iPhones confirmed! /s
  • Reply 4 of 7
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Beats are such an overrated brand.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    maybe apple will soon releasing watch bands that follow this color scheme?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    brucemc said:
    Releasing AirPods in more colours this coming holiday season is the only update I think they need to continue with growth through to 2018, when a new model update would be practical.  AirPods in jet black (and/or matte black), and perhaps a gold variant, would fly off the shelves.
    It won’t happen. But matte, I’d say.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,115member
    The colors are awful, really terrible. Did Jon the Ive really sign off on these?  So disappointing for a company known for its style. Steve, the guy who searched and searched for the right white color for his products, would be horrified.