iOS 11's Apple Pay Cash setup may require scanning personal ID

Posted:
in iPhone
People wanting to fully utilize Apple Pay Cash in iOS 11 may have to scan a photo ID, such as a driver's license, according to the latest beta code discovery.

Lines in the seventh iOS 11 beta reference scanning both the front and back of a card, iHelp BR noted on Friday. If an ID can't be verified, people may be blocked from using person-to-person transfers in Messages, though any Cash balance should continue to work with other Apple Pay transactions.

The ID requirement may -- primarily or in part -- be linked to a minimum age barrier. The exact age limit is unknown, but Apple is presumably concerned about children abusing their parents' bank accounts and/or being lured into scams.

On a basic level, Apple Pay Cash gives users a PayPal-style holding fund, which can be applied to any kind of Apple Pay transaction. It's main purpose, however, is enabling iOS 11's person-to-person transfers. The finished version of iOS 11 is due sometime this fall, most likely next month ahead of the "iPhone 8,", "7s", and "7s Plus."

In the beta code, Apple claims that Cash "works best" with a debit card. That may be a way of steering people away from credit cards, which will incur a 3 percent fee for person-to-person payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I hope that there is some way to tell Apple to NOT let any person-to-person transfers happen with my device. It is not a feature that I want on a phone ever. I know that some people do want it. Fine, but as long as I can totally disable it at the Apple end for my device then I'll be happy. It will be interesting to know if there are more ID thefts from using this than without.
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 2 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I hope that there is some way to tell Apple to NOT let any person-to-person transfers happen with my device. It is not a feature that I want on a phone ever. I know that some people do want it. Fine, but as long as I can totally disable it at the Apple end for my device then I'll be happy. It will be interesting to know if there are more ID thefts from using this than without.
    Breaking into your mailbox is easier for ID thefts.
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 3 of 25
    If scanning photo ID is in place of having to call the bank and verify it's me then I'm all for this change!
    patchythepirateSoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Maybe there's a sale on tinfoil hats?

If this replaces Venmo for me, I'm game.  I'll trust Apple to handle security any day compared to what the competitors have.  While no one knows, I don't see any reason that Apple would essentially force you to use it.  Chill.
    SpamSandwichmike1yojimbo007patchythepirateSoundJudgmentmacxpressRacerhomieXwatto_cobraStrangeDaysmaclvr03
  • Reply 5 of 25

If this replaces Venmo for me, I'm game.  I'll trust Apple to handle security any day compared to what the competitors have.  While no one knows, I don't see any reason that Apple would essentially force you to use it.  Chill.
    As someone who has had their Identity stolen I really don't want to wish it on anyone. I won't go into details but the start of my grief came from a payment to another person. Now 4 years later, I have got it sorted out. Yes, I use Apple Pay but allowing it to make payments to other people is IMHO not good. If I want to make a payment to another person from my bank then I'll do it in other ways.
    wlympscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rotateleftbyte said:
    Yes, I use Apple Pay but allowing it to make payments to other people is IMHO not good. If I want to make a payment to another person from my bank then I'll do it in other ways.     
    BoA is starting to let you use Touch ID to access some newer ATMs so I would suspect that they would allow you to send money to another person with the same level of confidence. I have not tried it in their app but I see the service advertised inside the banks. Once the recipient's bank account is registered and verified, it should be safe. I send money to an individual all the time through my BoA online banking or the iPhone app. They always ask for confirmation with a code by texting it to me. I'm sure Apple Pay will have the same layers of security that the banks have already deployed.
    SoundJudgmentstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If venimo allows for id less transfer so should Apple... id scan should be a passcoded optin setting. Imo 
  • Reply 8 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    My daughter is using Venmo to pay her apartment rent -- at the owner's request. Seems safe. I'm not too concerned with Venmo or Apple Pay. All are better than paying cash -- everything is tracked. Likely to be more secure than using credit and debit cards, which can be hacked, stolen, identified in some store's database.
    SoundJudgmentcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I don't care what I have to do to get it working, I can't wait for this feature! This is my favorite feature of iOS 11 by far (with the simplified control panel and homekit speakers being up there as well). This is also the probably the most underestimated feature. Not only will this replace venmo, but I can't wait to start transferring money to Apple Pay from my checking account and then doing my best to use Apple Pay Cash exclusively. It creeps me out that all the credit card companies sell my purchase info, and now there's finally another option.
    SoliSoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    I'm trying to think of a similar feature Apple offers that they don't allow you to disable...
    watto_cobraStrangeDayschiapscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 25

As someone who has had their Identity stolen I really don't want to wish it on anyone. I won't go into details but the start of my grief came from a payment to another person. Now 4 years later, I have got it sorted out. Yes, I use Apple Pay but allowing it to make payments to other people is IMHO not good. If I want to make a payment to another person from my bank then I'll do it in other ways.     

Should just lock your credit report with the credit bureaus. It's free to do, and only costs $5 a pop if you want to unlock them. If you do this it's very hard for anyone to get very far with identity theft. It's also a lot cheaper than life lock or whatever monitoring services there are.
    avon b7
  • Reply 12 of 25
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sflocal said:

What if others don’t switch from Venmo? 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    No, unlike every other feature remotely privacy related, this won't be possible to disable -- in fact you'll have to use it to submit payments just to access the settings screen for it. 

smh. I mean really. Do you honestly believe there is even a slim possibility that you won't be able to disable this? Do you have an iphone? Have you not looked at the settings for Touch ID or Apple Pay?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If scanning photo ID is in place of having to call the bank and verify it's me then I'm all for this change!

so i steal your wallet with your id and scan it and all your cards and go to town with your money. 

i get that having to call is annoying but scanning an ID doesn't really prove you are you. send your bank feedback that they should allow verification via signing into your online account and getting a code, having it sent to a previous set up phone number via text etc or at least have a dedicated number for such phone calls like they do to activate most credit/debit cards when they arrive in the mail. etc
  • Reply 15 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

fallenjt said:
    Breaking into your mailbox is easier for ID thefts.
    the stuff i could pull off with a bag of most folks trash. just saying
  • Reply 16 of 25
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Having worked for a startup P2P payments company in the past I bet the ID requirement is for KYC -- Know Your Customer -- requirements.  There are different ways to do it and not all use an ID but it is an easy way to check that box.  

Financial transaction companies have these sorts of requirements as the government tries to avoid money laundering and criminal transfers of cash. 
  • Reply 17 of 25

so i steal your wallet with your id and scan it and all your cards and go to town with your money. 

i get that having to call is annoying but scanning an ID doesn't really prove you are you. send your bank feedback that they should allow verification via signing into your online account and getting a code, having it sent to a previous set up phone number via text etc or at least have a dedicated number for such phone calls like they do to activate most credit/debit cards when they arrive in the mail. etc
    Uhh... dude you missed the whole FACE ID part of the equation. This is to connect the scan it makes OF YOUR ACTUAL FACE with some official ID that has the same face.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    chadbag said:
    Having worked for a startup P2P payments company in the past I bet the ID requirement is for KYC -- Know Your Customer -- requirements.  There are different ways to do it and not all use an ID but it is an easy way to check that box.  

Financial transaction companies have these sorts of requirements as the government tries to avoid money laundering and criminal transfers of cash. 
    Bingo.

I've been involved in the financial industry as well, and my first thought is that it's related to AML, and being able to fulfill FinCEN and OFAC requirements.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member

Nice, convenient method is scanning during a FaceTime call (IDnow). Had one last week and it was quick and rather secure, I think.

pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Since its not setup by default to begin with, why is this even an issue for you? Its like iCloud, or ApplePay...its not setup to begin with so if you're not comfortable using it, then just don't set it up. Its that simple!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobramaclvr03