'iPhone 8' software bar expected to replace Apple's iconic home button with gesture contro...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Rather than presenting a virtual home button, the so-called "iPhone 8" is expected to instead offer a new software bar that could dramatically change how the iPhone is used, introducing new gesture controls for returning to the home screen and switching between apps.

The "iPhone 8" is also said to have a longer home button.

The details come from Bloomberg, which claims to have seen images of the new flagship "iPhone 8" and its user interface. The premium handset is widely expected to have an edge-to-edge OLED display that will, for the first time ever, get rid of the home button that has been on every single iPhone model to date.

Wednesday's new report claims that rather than emulating a home button, the "iPhone 8" display will include a new "thin, software bar" that can users drag up to the middle of the screen to open the phone. A similar gesture is said to invoke multitasking, replacing the double-tap of the home button found on all current models, while continuing to flick upwards returns to the home screen.

The multitasking view is also said to have been redesigned, presenting recently used apps as "a series of standalone cards that can be swiped through, versus the stack of cards on current iPhones."

Wednesday's report claims Apple won't hide the "notch" at the top of the "iPhone 8" OLED display.

The functionality is somewhat similar to how the new dock works in iOS 11 on iPad, as a quick swipe up from the bottom of the screen shows a list of apps, while swiping further brings up multitasking and control center. The difference on the "iPhone 8," however, will be the introduction of the new "software bar" that users will access to navigate the phone.

Another new detail from Bloomberg claims that Apple will embrace, rather than hide, the so-called "notch" at the top of the display. While boasting an edge-to-edge screen, a cutout in the middle at the top of the display will house the earpiece and new forward facing camera array with facial recognition technology for unlocking the device.

According to the report, the user interface will show a "definitive cutout" for the notch at the top of the display, leaving what Apple employees have internally referred to as "ears" at the top left and right. It is there where information such as cellular reception, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity will be displayed.

The other details in the report reaffirm earlier leaks, including a larger lock/power button on the right side of the handset, and a metal band around the exterior with antenna cuts.

All will be revealed on Sept. 12, when Apple will to hold a keynote presentation to introduce the "iPhone 8," which is also said to include wireless charging. It will be unveiled alongside "iPhone 7s" models that will look largely similar to the current iPhone 7 series, but include faster processors and wireless charging.

Apple is also believed to be planning to introduce a new Apple Watch "Series 3" with LTE connectivity, and an improved Apple TV with 4K resolution and support for HDR content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So a mini Touch Bar it seems.  On an iPad next surely?
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 26
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Did you see the picture in the Bloomberg article? Eager to point to various features already implemented by other manufacturers (as if...).

doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 26
    JanNL said:
    Did you see the picture in the Bloomberg article? Eager to point to various features already implemented by other manufacturers (as if...).

it's the 'fake news' cycle... you get clicks and twitter wars and other stuff, but in the end, it's less about who did it first vs who did it best. I may be a sheeple now, and in the end, the actual 'phone' and 'function' will all be consistently one in the same... it will be the back end that makes the difference, both in terms of compelling user experience, and vendor profitability (,viability, and sustainability).
    vukasikawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Why do YOU buy an iPhone ? Is what it comes down to 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    If this story is correct it appears that Apple has decided to embrace the notch at the top rather than trying to disguise it or make it blend in. I hope that’s wrong. That black cutout is ugly.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 6 of 26
    An ideal place for the home button for me would be on the side...  it does take way too much space at the front and it’s literally sooo last decade   :)

• Reply 7 of 26
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    So that its.....we've all just accepted the rumors are true regarding touch ID? 

And to have Essential Phone as beating Apple to the punch is funny....
    "Just days after Essential informed those who pre-ordered the device that their units had shipped, tracking is now showing that the smartphone will land on doorsteps on August 31, representing the official launch date for the highly anticipated smartphone"
  • Reply 8 of 26
    NY1822 said:

"Just days after Essential informed those who pre-ordered the device that their units had shipped, tracking is now showing that the smartphone will land on doorsteps on August 31, representing the official launch date for the highly anticipated smartphone"
    What's the Essential Phone?
    doozydozenbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    NY1822 said:

I'm really trying to understand the relevance of your quote, but not seeing it. You might want to elaborate. 

At any rate, early reviews are, meh, so I'm not seeing the "Essential" in anyone owning this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    london11 said:
    An ideal place for the home button for me would be on the side...  it does take way too much space at the front and it’s literally sooo last decade   :)

That's why people like you don't design things.
    tmaydoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    NY1822 said:
    It is long past rumor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    From the Bloomberg article 'The screen itself, however, is flat like current and past iPhones and lacks the fully curved displays of the latest Samsung phones.'

I would not say that the iPhone 'lacks' a curved display, I'd rather say the Samsung lacks a properly designed screen. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the curved screen is a design cock up that would have had Ive and Cook wetting themselves from laughing so hard. First off is that unless it is being used in total darkness you are always going to get a reflection down the entire side of the the device or more likely both sides as they show in their ads. I can't believe that this is supposedly a feature.

Second point about the curved screen is that it will date badly, it will come to look tiresome, whereas apple could simply stay with the current iPhone 8 design and leave it at that more or less permanently, like an iconic Porsche. With a to the edge curved screen the Samsung has nowhere to go except to drop the design.

I think Apple have finally struck gold with the new iPhone 8 and it will obviously be the blueprint for all their phones maybe even permanently.

GG1shark5150StrangeDaysmacplusplusbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    The current iPhone display permanently dedicates the top edge to system gauges, indicators, and of course the clock. So it's not like the "notch" is stealing screen space from applications. It is definitely a new look for the iPhone if it turns out to be accurate and it probably complicates manufacturing and assembly a bit. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 26
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

If this story is correct it appears that Apple has decided to embrace the notch at the top rather than trying to disguise it or make it blend in. I hope that’s wrong. That black cutout is ugly.

You do not understand design, it would look ugly if they tried to permanently disguise it. As it is now the design is timeless, keeping in mind that there's no way not to have sensors on the front of the camera. Notice that cars had grills initially as a form follows function thing where they needed air flowing over the radiator. Then consumer cars embraced a clean no grill look when it became unnecessary. But notice how even though not needed any longer luxury car makers jealously guard their iconic grill designs. While not in this league, that is nevertheless how I perceive the notch. The 'notch and ears' will be Apple's equivalent of the famous car grills a good one of which is Bugatti, compare a 1930's Bugatti grill with the grill on their Veyron. 

netroxdoozydozenbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think it's a genius idea. Rather than ending the screen at the camera/mic array, they've extended it right to the top of the phone. From what we've heard, they'll use the screen space either side of the notch for status  icons, so while you're using the phone you won't even see the notch. 

Using the dead space around the notch means that they can use the space below for regular screen stuff, instead of the carrier icons and the like. 

Yup, a good move. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26

Mmm...

According to Patently Apple, Apple has the tech to provide in-air gesture recognition for the new iPhone X.  That way you could navigate without touching the screen.

Now we're learning that Apple is likely to add another exciting dimension to their next-gen iPhones with gesturing controls as part of replacing the Home button next month. While Apple has the technology, it's still unknown if they'll take gesturing to the next level and introduce in-air gesturing. 

At the moment, the gesturing may be limited to on-screen gesturing. Whether Apple takes it to the next level with in-air gesturing is still in question. In June Patently Apple posted a report about Apple's new iPhone X suppliers. One of the new suppliers is Lumentum. In the early moments of their promotion videothey point to 'gesture recognition' as being part of their 3D sensing technology. So the technology is certainly in place for Apple to introduce it. Whether it will pan out this year is a hope but not a guarantee. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/08/apple-to-surprise-the-market-by-introducing-in-air-gesture-recognition-on-their-oled-iphone-x.html

Maybe the new iPhones -- and even new iPad Pros, MacBooks, Macs AppleTVs...

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    tmay said:
    NY1822 said:

I'm really trying to understand the relevance of your quote, but not seeing it. You might want to elaborate. 

At any rate, early reviews are, meh, so I'm not seeing the "Essential" in anyone owning this.
    The point was, it's making it seem like all these other smart phone makers have had all these new features way before Apple did...having a 2 week lag (Essential Phone release date compared to Apple's release date) is hardly Essential beating Apple to the technology/features.
    edited August 2017 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    NY1822 said:
    tmay said:
    NY1822 said:

The point was, it's making it seem like all these other smart phone makers have had all these new features way before Apple did...having a 2 week lag (Essential Phone release date compared to Apple's release date) is hardly Essential beating Apple to the technology/features.
    Understand,

thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 26

The more I think about the Patently Apple article referenced in my prior post (and shown in the Lumentum video) -- I think that Apple may not limit in-air gesture recognition to iDevice navigation.

I posted this to the Patently Apple  forum:
    Yes! There is so much new tech happening so fast, that it's difficult to stay current (that's where you excel).

If Apple has the camera and sensor tech as well as the software in a mobile device such as an iPhone...  There are so many possibilities from: golf swing analysis; physical therapy; elocution; sports analysis/training, e.g. Curling, Caber Throwing, Log Rolling -- maybe even Soccer, Baseball and football :)

Kinda' kidding around, there -- but, not totally.

We may be on the cusp of a transformative set of capabilities/uses for that thing you always have with you! 

baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

You do not understand design, it would look ugly if they tried to permanently disguise it. As it is now the design is timeless, keeping in mind that there's no way not to have sensors on the front of the camera. Notice that cars had grills initially as a form follows function thing where they needed air flowing over the radiator. Then consumer cars embraced a clean no grill look when it became unnecessary. But notice how even though not needed any longer luxury car makers jealously guard their iconic grill designs. While not in this league, that is nevertheless how I perceive the notch. The 'notch and ears' will be Apple's equivalent of the famous car grills a good one of which is Bugatti, compare a 1930's Bugatti grill with the grill on their Veyron. 

Sorry there’s nothing iconic about the notch or the ears IMO. Other phone makers did a better job with antenna lines than Apple did with iPhone 6 so it’s not like they never make questionable design choices. The question here is, is this what Jony Ive chose to accept from an engineering standpoint so as much of the screen as possible would be bezel free? Did they ever think about having a thinner bezel on the top and bottom to be able to hide the sensors and keep the design symmetrical? It seems like the tech world was so obsessed with getting rid of bezels and now when they see the result they realize maybe bezels weren’t so bad after all.
    edited August 2017