Decisions, Decisions. I need some help here (12" vs 14" iBook)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello, this is my first post for direct advice. I am planning on getting a new ibook. it will be my first new mac in a long time. anyways, i cant make my mind up on the 12" or 14", i had my mind set on the 14" but after going to the apple store yesterday to "make sure" I thought it was not worth it since both the ibooks are "stuck" @ 1024x768. yeah we all know that. Well i need some help with making the decision to go with the 12" which seems rather small yet it was easier on my eyes than the 14". but does the desktop on the 12" fill up fast with clutter or seem busy with many windows open to anyone who has one? i would go with the tibook if i could but i cant. so if someone could provide their experience on this i would greatly appreciate it.

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You will have no less "clutter" with the 14" iBook, as it has the same resolution as the 12". It is physically larger, but since the resolution is the same, things will only appear larger - there is no extra usable room.

Purchasing questions should be posted in General Discussion by the way, moving there now.

Oh, and welcome to AppleInsider.

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Murbot is an expert on buying and swapping machine. Keep bugging him and you will learn some tricks from him
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    I was debating on the 12 or 14 until I saw them. The 12 is way too small screen size..even though they both use the same resolution, it's just too small for me.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I was worried about the 12 being too small till I had used it for a week. When I traded it for a PB G4, my first complaint on the TiBook screen was the DPI. I missed the iBook screen and its high pixel density !

Definitely the 12 !!!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I agree, the 12" screen with the higher dpi is my choice. If the 14" display could offer a higher resolution, I'd be into it. Personally, I don't want to carry around any extra weight that I don't, so I would go with a 12".

But if your eyes are really that bad and you want the larger screen and lower dpi, I guess go for the 14".
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Hmmmm..perhaps I'll have to check them out again. It just seems that the 12inch was really small...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Id get the 12 inch 800/32 MB Radeon 7500. I am poor but kinda want a laptop. The ONLY thing really deterring me from the iBook is the G3. Of course I really really really want the new Powerbooks.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by TOOL:

<strong>Hmmmm..perhaps I'll have to check them out again. It just seems that the 12inch was really small...</strong><hr></blockquote>

To me, the 12" is great.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Just got back from playing with both...while the 12inch is nice, I think I still prefer the 14inch one.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Well, get whatcha like, then! Another case closed by the AI Advice Folks!

Jet
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Get what you want. It doesn't matter what other people's opinions of the 12" one are. Almost everyone here thinks the 14" is a waste of money. But I don't get it.

Anyway, there are a few facts to consider:

1. If you have the screen on each one configured the EXACT SAME (same number and size of windows, etc), the 12" and 14" will be the same. You get no extra pixels.

2. 14 point font on the 12" will be about as readable as 12 point font on the 14", because everything is magnified on the 14". Therefore, if all your fonts are 12 point on the 14" one and 14 point on the 12" one, you'll fit more text onto the 14" one, even with the same number of pixels.

3. The above fact also applies to other stuff, like windows and graphics. In order to see something clearly on the 12" screen, it must take up more pixels than on the 14". So a window might be 100 pixels wide on the 14" but it would have to be 125 pixels wide on the 12" one. All of a sudden you have more screen area on the 14" just because you can make things take up less space and still see them clearly.

EDIT: heh, that last one doesn't work... I just tried setting my monitor from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 and I definitely had less space for windows, so having a physically larger screen with a lower pixel density won't help with graphics and windows. However, the text still works - I could see just as much text at 1024 as I could at 1280 because I was able to reduce the text size.

You won't see as big a benefit going 12" to 14" now as you would if the 14" had a higher resolution. But there's still a difference.

Again, get what you prefer. If looking at a 12" screen all day makes you want to tear your hair out, get the 14".

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Well after a week or so of debating with myself...i have just purchased a new 12" 800mhz ibook. Thanks for all the help in assisting me with my questions. I really appreciate it and now i wait for my first mac since my IIe! Thanks to Multimedia, AllenChristopher, and Murbot for their knowledge and expertise. hopefully next time i post it will be from my mac. hehe. later
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Good choice. Now do the firmware hack and get an external monitor, and you'll be able to use that iBook at home at 1280 x 1024, then go on the road with the ultimate in portability.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by greeneggsaregood:

<strong>Hello, this is my first post for direct advice. I am planning on getting a new ibook. it will be my first new mac in a long time. anyways, i cant make my mind up on the 12" or 14",

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Based on this and the countless similar threads, it just goes to show Apple needs a greater differentiation between the two iBooks.

Come on Apple, either give us a 13.3" iBook so we don't have to compromise portability or eyesight, or revise that 14" screen resolution.

It's a crime to pay more $ for simply larger screen but the desktop space. That's why everyone's clammering for spanning and resorting to a hack which shouldn't even be necessary.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    well i am writing this on my new 12" ibook 800mhz!!!!! it came today and after few hours i have deamed it the best computer i have ever owned. the funny thing is it only has 128 MB ram in it as i dont have a screw driver small enough to open the ram shield to drop in a stick of 512.....so that kinda sucks. Plus fedex dropped off a second package with some other power adapters? i dont know if it comes with these or what but i didnt order them and the ibook came with an external vga cable! i ordered one from apple too! kinda sucks now that i spent an extra twenty bucks for nothing. well its simply great, i dont find it too slow. ... although that ram would help. one thing that is bothering me is my battery says it only has three hours left and its fully charged....i thought this ibook had a five hour battery???? well other than that i just need to figure out how to use themes or just change the look. and i want to try the monitor span hack but that will probably have to wait until the weekend. and to change icons would be nice too. damn my windows world. haha later
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I'd tell you to get the 14", but I guess that's too late now. You do get a tad more battery life, since the battery in the 14" is a little larger than the battery in the 12", but it does weigh more. (About 1 lb., IIRC.)

You'll love the 12" just because it's so small. Well, it seems that way to me, anyway. I dunno, but when I compared my 14" to my friend's 12", my 14" looked almost gigantic by comparison. Maybe it's just my eyes.