Garmin joins Apple Pay competition with Garmin Pay on new vivoactive 3

Posted:
in iPhone
Garmin has announced a new iPhone-compatible GPS smartwatch, the vivoactive 3 -- most notably the first device with Garmin Pay, adding to the growing number of NFC-based alternatives to Apple Pay.

To use Garmin Pay, owners must first create a wallet through the Garmin Connect iPhone app and authorize one or more cards, as well as create a passcode. This code must be entered before a purchase once every 24 hours, or whenever the watch is taken off and put back on -- this contrasts with the Apple Watch, which unlocks whenever its paired iPhone is unlocked too.

Initially Garmin is supporting Visa and Mastercard options from "major issuing banks," though it's also promising "more being added every day."

The watch itself is built with stainless steel and Gorilla Glass, and uses a combination of a touchscreen and a "Side Swipe" interface for easier control than some other Garmin watches like the Forerunner 935.

On top of GPS and standard motion sensors, tracking features include GLONASS, a barometer, and a thermometer. Over 15 activites are preloaded by default, and the watch can also calculate figures such as stress, VO2 max, and "fitness age." Since the watch is water-resistant up to 5 ATM, one of the default activities is pool swimming.

Battery life is rated at 7 days in regular smartwatch mode, or 13 hours with active GPS tracking.

Two color combinations -- black/stainless and white/stainless -- cost $299.99 each. A black/slate model is $329.99.

Apple is expected to launch a third-generation Apple Watch with LTE at a Sept. 12 press event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Stopped reading after "once every 24 hours". 
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Garmin Pay — cute. rolleyes

Does it use the now familiar tokenization method?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Why?  My Apple Watch Apple Pay never works.  
  • Reply 4 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Same as Apple's. It's a standard set by the VISA/Mastercard payment network. 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    What next? Kleenex Pay? Ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    larrya said:
    My Apple Watch ApplePay never fails to work. 

That said, I've certainly bought my last Garmin device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Groan. Why, when you know what the outcome will be...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    gatorguy said:

So good to see other CE companies willing to follow yet again in Apple's successful footsteps. And yes, I realize the CC companies created the token system before the iPhone (my friends used to use one-time use CC nums for online purchases), but I'm not aware of any popular CE devices that implemented it before iPhone or Watch. And none that likewise linked it to biometric authentication for a card-present rate.

These guys are so entrenched in the "let apple lead and we'll follow" mentality that they even copy the name of their me-too implementations: "[Brand X] Pay"
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    How is it ridiculous? Apple doesn't license Apple Pay to other companies as far as I know, so they are left to implement their own systems, most of which don't seem to be as proprietary as Apple Pay. Regardless, you might as well advocate for only one streaming internet entertainment service, because why does anyone need more than one format?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    larrya said:
    Sounds like a user issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:

So good to see other CE companies willing to follow yet again in Apple's successful footsteps. And yes, I realize the CC companies created the token system before the iPhone (my friends used to use one-time use CC nums for online purchases), but I'm not aware of any popular CE devices that implemented it before iPhone or Watch. And none that likewise linked it to biometric authentication for a card-present rate.

These guys are so entrenched in the "let apple lead and we'll follow" mentality that they even copy the name of their me-too implementations: "[Brand X] Pay"
    Silly....
    Add "plumbing" to your service name and they know what you do. Add "Automotive" to your name and they know what business category you service. Of course "Pay" makes sense. It's hardly copying anymore than what the plumber or car company does IMO. Heck you and your crew probably "copy" business methods on a daily basis that were created by others.

edited August 2017
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Why is it ridiculous? Many fitness enthusiasts are locked into the Garmin ecosystem, just like many phone and tablet users are locked into the Apple and Google ecosystems. Now I can have what Apple Watch owners can have: paying at the register with my fitness device. Perhaps if Apple had a useful way of viewing fitness info the way Garmin and Fitbit do, I'd be more interested in getting an Apple Watch. Or maybe not, since the Apple Watch does not support my ANT+ devices (heart rate strap, cadence sensor, foot pod, and wheel sensor). 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tylersdad said:
    Why is it ridiculous? Many fitness enthusiasts are locked into the Garmin ecosystem, just like many phone and tablet users are locked into the Apple and Google ecosystems. Now I can have what Apple Watch owners can have: paying at the register with my fitness device. Perhaps if Apple had a useful way of viewing fitness info the way Garmin and Fitbit do, I'd be more interested in getting an Apple Watch. Or maybe not, since the Apple Watch does not support my ANT+ devices (heart rate strap, cadence sensor, foot pod, and wheel sensor). 
    If the banks don't collaborate, your stuck with nothing. That's why it is ridiculous. Apple has been getting banks on board for 3 years.
    The NFC terminals is just one part of the equation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tylersdad said:
    Not trying to belittle Garmin but 'eco system?'  I see they use that term themselves in marketing so I am not aiming this at you, however that's a bit of a stretch IMHO and devalues the term.  Apple has an eco system, it encompasses multiple devices including mobile, wearable and desktop and multiple operating systems that are all versions of the same one seamlessly working together over WANs, LANs as well as the cloud.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Groan. Why, when you know what the outcome will be...
    Even if it fails after a few years, it keeps some Garmin customers happy until then. You have to admit that Garmin still makes better sports watches than Apple right? If you're an out on a bike or running and might pay for something, now you don't have to decide between taking a wallet/phone or getting an Apple Watch.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    igorsky said:
    larrya said:
    I'm in a similar situation, at least with my iPhone's AP. 98% of my transactions are with a small number of retailers, and none of those accept AP (at least at the terminals I use). For the 2% with those other retailers it works great.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    linkman said:
    igorsky said:
    larrya said:
    I'm in a similar situation, at least with my iPhone's AP. 98% of my transactions are with a small number of retailers, and none of those accept AP (at least at the terminals I use). For the 2% with those other retailers it works great.
    If I'm not mistaken, that's the big problem with Apple Pay. CVS turned support off, as did Home Depot, but I believe both of those stores accept Android Pay and other contactless payment systems without doing anything.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    MacPro said:
    tylersdad said:
    Not trying to belittle Garmin but 'eco system?'  I see they use that term themselves in marketing so I am not aiming this at you, however that's a bit of a stretch IMHO and devalues the term.  Apple has an eco system, it encompasses multiple devices including mobile, wearable and desktop and multiple operating systems that are all versions of the same one seamlessly working together over WANs, LANs as well as the cloud.
    Ecosystem is the correct term, IMO. I have multiple Garmin devices (one activity tracker, one running tracker, one bike computer which all sync data back to Garmin's cloud-based Garmin Connect). Multiple Garmin sensors. Cloud based analysis of fitness data. While it may not be as all encompassing as Apple's ecosystem, but it is still an ecosystem, by definition (ecosystem -  a complex network or interconnected system). 

Do you use any Garmin devices?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 22

foggyhill said:
    tylersdad said:
    If the banks don't collaborate, your stuck with nothing. That's why it is ridiculous. Apple has been getting banks on board for 3 years.
    Where did you read that banks won't cooperate with Garmin? When Apple started 3 years ago, few banks were onboard, yet they continued to establish relationships with banks and made Apple Pay what it is today. 

Why do you believe that Garmin is incapable of doing this? 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    foggyhill said:
    tylersdad said:
    Why do you believe the banks won't collaborate? What incentive is there to NOT collaborate? It took Apple 3 years to get to where they're at now. Why do you believe Garmin (not exactly a small company) can't do the same?