This week on AI: Apple's Sept. 12 'iPhone 8' event, TV ambitions, Hurricane Harvey relief ...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Most of the rumors should come to an end soon, as Apple has finally set a date for its fall press event -- Sept. 12. Of course talk about the "iPhone 8's" features and even its name continued this week, joined by current events and word of the company's video plans.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• Expect to see three new iPhones and more on Sept. 12 > >
  • The OLED-based "iPhone 8" should replace a home button with a "software bar" and new gestures > >
  • The device might actually be called the "iPhone X" or "iPhone 8 Edition" > >
  • Apple may be spending over $1 billion to create a dozen TV shows > >
  • The company took a firm pro-net neutrality stance with the FCC > >
  • Apple is fighting movie studios on the prices for 4K movies on iTunes > >
  • The company raised somewhere over $3 million to aid Hurriance Harvey victims > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

'iPhone 8' software bar expected to replace Apple's iconic home button with gesture controls

Rumors rename 'iPhone 7s' to 'iPhone 8,' leaving moniker for Apple's $1000+ OLED model up for debate

Apple said to be eyeing Culver Studios as homebase for Hollywood production push

Apple calls for FCC to keep 'strong, enforceable' net neutrality protections

Apple fighting movie studios to keep 4K films priced at $20 on iTunes

Apple closing Simi Valley store with no replacement ahead of 'iPhone 8' launch

Video: Everything you can do with the Apple Pencil

Apple updates leadership page with new hires, shift in Siri lead to Craig Federighi

Apple's Cook, other CEOs call on Trump to keep DACA protections in place

High Sierra's APFS optimized for flash storage & SSD, incompatible with legacy HDDs and possibly Fusion Drives

Rumor: Apple in early development of 5.85- & 6.46-inch OLED iPhones for 2018

Apple raised more than $3M Hurricane Harvey relief, US Coast Guard using iPads in search efforts, Cook says

Squad of Apple car staffers jump ship to self-driving startup Zoox

Apple wins technical Emmy award for Apple TV Siri integration

Amazon Prime Video Apple TV app may not be ready for September launch

Apple gets further toehold in big business with iOS-focused Accenture enterprise partnership

Apple's Cook collects nearly $90M in vested RSUs on strong stock performance

NYPD handcuffed by investment in Microsoft's Windows Phone, now switching to Apple's iPhone

Surfing, dancing, other new Apple Watch Workouts tipped in latest iOS 11 beta

Pictures of alleged 'iPhone 8' OLED screen, motherboard escape supply chain

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I don't know...

I'm an AppleInsider type. I've been in tech longer than probably 90% of Apple's employees. I've switched between whole technology platforms a bunch of times and continue to learn new systems, platforms, programming languages, and technologies of all kinds.

And, I think 'raise to wake' totally sucks... I bought an iPhone SE on-purpose because I want a 3.5mm jack and a phone-sized-phone. I think a number of Apple's 'innovations' over the last decade have been UX fails. While I have to see what actually happens in a couple of weeks, if any of the rumors have validity, I think Apple's headed for another fail move (design tradeoffs in many of these cases).

This isn't because I'm some kind of tech luddite. It's because good UX/UI - or design or art as a whole - isn't some kind of completely subjective thing. Good UX/UI, is good UX/UI. Good design and art, are good design and art. Otherwise, they are poor or even bad.