Apple Pay picks up 13 more US banks & credit unions

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Apple on Tuesday updated its U.S. Apple Pay roster with 13 more supporting card issuers, filling in an increasingly tiny number of regional gaps.

The additions join a list of hundreds of participating banks and credit unions, most of them based in small sections of the country, a single state, or even just a single city. National banks, such as Chase and Bank of America, were largely onboard within the first year after Apple Pay's Oct. 2014 debut.

The complete list of additions includes:
  • Community National Bank & Trust of Texas
  • First State Bank of Mendota
  • First State Bank Southwest
  • Great Plains Bank
  • Great Southern Bank
  • Holyoke Credit Union
  • Icon Credit Union
  • Landings Credit Union
  • Mascoma Savings Bank
  • McIntosh County Bank
  • Park National Bank
  • Texas Brand Bank
  • Xplore Federal Credit Union
iOS 11 -- likely launching later this month, after a Sept. 12 iPhone event -- will introduce two new features to Apple Pay. These include Cash, a PayPal-style holding account, and person-to-person transfers, done through Messages. Both will initially be limited to the U.S.

The company may also tip international expansion plans, one possible target being Germany, despite tough negotiations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Funny how everyone disregards this kind of thing when talking about so called X pay systems.

By the time those wake up, Apple will have done the nitty gritty of covering even the smallest of banks.
    That's going to be very convenient when Apple Cash hits big.
    mobirdjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Cool that they're picking up banks, but for my purposes, I'd rather have them pick up retailers like Home Depot and Target. I get why places like Target don't want to support Apple Pay (they don't get to collect data on me), but it does make me less likely to shop at those places.  I've moved to getting most of my groceries from places like Trader Joe's and Fresh Thyme, but every once in a while I need something from Target, and I always notice how much slower and more finicky the chip readers are. (Put card in, wait for a few seconds. If you wait too long, you get an annoying tone. If you don't wait long enough, you get an error.) Not a big deal, of course, just a minor annoyance. Chip card almost seem like they should be old technology, given how much faster the magnetic strips worked (I know the security of magnetic strips is horrible, but the experience is better. ) Given how quick Apple Pay seems to be, I wonder why the chips aren't faster. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dws-2 said:
    Cool that they're picking up banks, but for my purposes, I'd rather have them pick up retailers like Home Depot and Target. I get why places like Target don't want to support Apple Pay (they don't get to collect data on me), but it does make me less likely to shop at those places.  I've moved to getting most of my groceries from places like Trader Joe's and Fresh Thyme, but every once in a while I need something from Target, and I always notice how much slower and more finicky the chip readers are. (Put card in, wait for a few seconds. If you wait too long, you get an annoying tone. If you don't wait long enough, you get an error.) Not a big deal, of course, just a minor annoyance. Chip card almost seem like they should be old technology, given how much faster the magnetic strips worked (I know the security of magnetic strips is horrible, but the experience is better. ) Given how quick Apple Pay seems to be, I wonder why the chips aren't faster. 
    They can still collect data on you. All they have to do is have you use a loyalty card that will tally up your expenses and give some percentage back after several months and give you instant discounts you wouldn't otherwise get. The payment option becomes irrelevant.

But fear not, the banks were always the first part of the massive project—it would never work the other way around—and the larger establishments are not unlike how when Apple updated macOS Adobe and MS with their bloated suite of apps are almost always the last to update to take advantage of new technologies. Very few major companies are actively preventing NFC payments while already having the HW in place, and most of the others seem to have point-of-sale HW that simply doesn't have the capabilities because it's a big old register system running Windows.

Then there are some small shops that invested in the Square terminal for the iPad which has a card swipe but no NFC option. That, too, will change.

• Reply 4 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    dws-2 said:
    Target has Supported Apple Pay since Day 1, ONLINE ONLY!!! Home Depot, it did work at first and they stopped it, but they said they were going to Support Apple Pay a few years ago!!! https://www.cultofmac.com/321682/home-depot-flipping-switch-back-on-for-apple-pay/ https://9to5mac.com/2015/05/05/home-depot-apple-pay-2/ What happened? With the missing headphone jack, the little Square readers won't work on the iPhone, but they have Bluetooth versions that connect to the phone that way. Have a spot to insert a chip card and do NFC. More people need to be motivated to stop using the old Headphone jack card swipe readers. I hate having to insert my Credit card into the terminal and just leave it there. Apple Pay is so quick. I just use my Apple Watch. I don't have to pull out anything. More and more places are supporting it. It was never going to happen overnight. It took a long time for business to get a Credit Card terminal in the first place. I remember the place I used to work at. When I first started working there for the first few years, it was Carbon Paper and a roller machine. That's why credit cards have had the raised credit card number. You roll over it with the roller on carbon paper and it would leave the number. It's going to take time. Just like it'll take time for Walmart to drop their crap QR code garbage and go NFC also. Who wants to be loading up a Walmart app and paying that way. Everyone having their own app and having to be forced to pay through that. No thanks!!!
    steveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jbdragon said:
    dws-2 said:
    Target has Supported Apple Pay since Day 1, ONLINE ONLY!!! Home Depot, it did work at first and they stopped it, but they said they were going to Support Apple Pay a few years ago!!! https://www.cultofmac.com/321682/home-depot-flipping-switch-back-on-for-apple-pay/ https://9to5mac.com/2015/05/05/home-depot-apple-pay-2/ What happened? With the missing headphone jack, the little Square readers won't work on the iPhone, but they have Bluetooth versions that connect to the phone that way. Have a spot to insert a chip card and do NFC. More people need to be motivated to stop using the old Headphone jack card swipe readers. I hate having to insert my Credit card into the terminal and just leave it there. Apple Pay is so quick. I just use my Apple Watch. I don't have to pull out anything. More and more places are supporting it. It was never going to happen overnight. It took a long time for business to get a Credit Card terminal in the first place. I remember the place I used to work at. When I first started working there for the first few years, it was Carbon Paper and a roller machine. That's why credit cards have had the raised credit card number. You roll over it with the roller on carbon paper and it would leave the number. It's going to take time. Just like it'll take time for Walmart to drop their crap QR code garbage and go NFC also. Who wants to be loading up a Walmart app and paying that way. Everyone having their own app and having to be forced to pay through that. No thanks!!!
    Starbucks is extremely successful with the load and pay app they have for themselves. Practically everyone that goes to Starbucks use it. So it’s not as hard as you’re making it seem. 
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dws-2 said:
    You either can try to give Target - preferential treatment, otherwise they don't want to budge and implement Apple Pay in their stores, or you can just make Apple Pay widely available EXCEPT in Target locations. That will turn down a lot of customers and that will force Target into the Apple Pay system, the moment they realize that lose customers.
    I have recently started using Apple Pay and it is a much better alternative to swiping the card. Easier and cleaner, and on top of that, it is also a secure version of the existing system. What not to like about that from the customer standpoint?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    dws-2 said:
    Starbucks is extremely successful with the load and pay app they have for themselves. Practically everyone that goes to Starbucks use it. So it’s not as hard as you’re making it seem. 
    They are successful, but I don't like to use that example because it involved loading what is effectively a gift card tied to your account so you can get points.

The more common way that companies follow your sales is by either scanning in a keychain bar-code or you inputting a phone number and then paying with whatever method you choose.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You, and Apple, missed one. Citi Bank has supported ApplePay since ApplePay rolled out. However, Citi Business has not. This month Citi Business began replacing their Visa cards with MasterCards which now work with ApplePay.