Disney to keep Marvel & Star Wars movies exclusive to its streaming service

Posted:
in General Discussion
After late 2019, Disney's upcoming streaming service will be the only place the public can stream Marvel and "Star Wars" titles, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced at a Los Angeles media conference on Thursday.

"We're going to launch big, and we're going to launch hot," CNBC quoted Iger as saying. The service will also play home to three to four exclusive Disney movies, four to five original series, and the entertainment conglomerate's current TV library.

When Disney first announced the service last month, Iger said that the company was still undecided on whether to spin Marvel and "Star Wars" off into their own services. That prospect was unlikely though, since even combined the two entities would have a small amount of material.

The latest announcement is likely bad news for Netflix. It was already set to lose Disney movies starting in 2019, but was also thought to be negotiating a way of holding on to some of that content, having previously signed a lucrative exclusivity deal. Netflix originals with Marvel characters -- like "Daredevil" and "The Punisher" -- should be unaffected.

Once the Disney service goes live people should still be able to buy and rent Marvel and "Star Wars" titles from places like Apple's iTunes, but they won't be included in any subscription packages.

Apple and Disney have a close corporate relationship. Iger sits on the Apple board of directors, and former Apple CEO Steve Jobs became Disney's biggest individual shareholder when the latter bought Pixar. Disney has frequently been featured in Apple marketing, and some of its characters appear as faces on the Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I purchase bluray only for Disney/Lucas arts films for the big screen experience. This just solidifies it. I can't see at this point paying for their streaming service unless a large amount of original content is in the pipeline. 
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Time for Apple to secretly buy Disney-Lucasfilm-Marvel-Pixar. Make 'em a good offer, Tim.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Time for Apple to secretly buy Disney-Lucasfilm-Marvel-Pixar. Make 'em a good offer, Tim.
    Moronic.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Moronic.
    Be nice... it's nice being nice to nice people. 
    slprescottwatto_cobradesignr
  • Reply 5 of 30
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    I sense more pirating and lower profits for all. 
    Why do these corporations never learn? 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 30
    bitmod said:
    Pirates don't need an excuse to pirate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    bitmod said:
    Sure, but this is encouragement.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Moronic.
    Oh, gee... I didn't know this was your web site.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    lame
  • Reply 10 of 30
    2019 is a long long time in the tech space - lets see if it really comes. If it does, who would not do it in the place of disney? They own the franchises for some of the biggest blockbusters, first they want to get the cash directly and not a subset and second, knowing Disney as a corporation, they don't want their products shelved with some 1 star rubbish on Netflix or Prime.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I predict a large increase of torrent users, and 4K/x265torrents of this content. Just like CBS is pushing all Trekkers to torrents, with their attempt to force subscriptions to their loser service, so will Disney cause the same paradigm shift - particularly since The Pirate Bay now allows direct streaming of content.
    argonautjbdragon
  • Reply 12 of 30
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    jsmythe00 said:
    bitmod said:
    For sure. There's no way I'm running 4-6 individual subscriptions 

Disney for starwars
    HBO for game of thrones
    netflix for the orig content
    Starz for this
    showtime for that

i cut the cord a long time ago and will cut paid subscriptions real soon if they keep this up. 
    I think Apple is playing the long game here. At least now they got all the big content owners into Streaming. Yes there are others that hasn't moved, but Disney changing course, has just single handily turn the industry into streaming, whether that is through their own Apps or Netflix. Most of the value in content broadcast actually lives inside ESPN, when people cut cords and watch / private it on Internet that is less revenue for Cable and Disney. 

This is similar to the Napster era when people were downloading music because it was free and easy. And itunes offer a simple way for those to buy music.

Once everyone is on broad streaming, with an App on Apple TV, Apple will figure out how to combine them into better experience, while consumer are willing to pay.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    jsmythe00 said:
    bitmod said:
    For sure. There's no way I'm running 4-6 individual subscriptions 

Disney for starwars
    HBO for game of thrones
    netflix for the orig content
    Starz for this
    showtime for that

i cut the cord a long time ago and will cut paid subscriptions real soon if they keep this up. 
    I've been saying this very thing for months.
    There are only so many $9.99/month (or more) that people can bear with incomes that are not increasing very rapidly or even at all.

ksecjbdragon
  • Reply 14 of 30
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Moronic.
    Be nice... it's nice being nice to nice people. 
    Don't mind him.  He's bitter.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 30
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

bitmod said:
    Depends on the cost.  Disney has enough content that for $10 a month I'd probably sub because I have 3 kids.

This doesn't matter to Apple as long as the Disney app works seamlessly with Apple TV app ecosystem...and Prime for that matter.  When the heck is that supposed to finally happen?
  • Reply 16 of 30
    The gradual consolidation of content with distributors made it easy for consumers to cut the cable cords and only pay for what they wanted to watch. Between Hulu and Netflix I could see just about every show I wanted at a decent overall price. If I didn't watch ESPN then I wasn't forced to pay for it just because their parent company extorted the cable companies to carry it as part of the base packages. I guess the production companies will never learn. Now they are trying to fragment the distribution framework (Disney with Marvel & Star Wars, rumored Apple with James Bond, etc.) for the main purpose of forcing consumers to once again pay for crap content they don't want in order to get the limited stuff they actually will watch. What I hate is the big players that have exclusive agreements with (or outright ownership of) the big production companies are going to squeeze out those companies that are trying to provide a wide range of content. That fragmentation is going to be detrimental to consumers in the long run, will encourage increased piracy, and will ultimately limit the variety of shows that are created.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 30
    The same Star Wars movies that everyone has owned for years upon years? Oh please yes, I need another way to watch these. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 30
    bitmod said:
    That's absurd. I won't pirate anything that is available conveniently and at a fair price.
    StrangeDaysjbdragon
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Nope. The time for that was a few years ago. Disney is burning every one of their franchises to the ground, milking them for all they're worth, and turning out garbage quality. They are not a good long term buy.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Nope. The time for that was a few years ago. Disney is burning every one of their franchises to the ground, milking them for all they're worth, and turning out garbage quality. They are not a good long term buy.
    Sounds like a perfect fit for Apple  :#